What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

1st kit: 2.4 r2 Rev C 399 LDO kit build

JIMHO

A few months ago I picked up a Creality ender 5 s1 on closeout from a local microcenter. I ran it almost constantly for about 2 weeks before the z drive failed. I was hooked and decided that I wanted something a bit more upscale. I looked at the Bambu and considered the K1 but being a consummate tinkerer, all roads led back a Voron. I considered Trident but something (perhaps the challenge) made me feel like I would be happier with a 2.4. So on memorial day weekend I placed my order and began my wait. It took about 3 weeks for all the printed parts to show.
I went through the ritual of checking, grouping and labeling my printed parts and started my build about a week ago. So far I'm about 1/3 of the way in with the Gantry installed/squared /de-racked. I've decided that I would like to go to Tap and just ordered a Chaoticlab tap. While I wait for that to come in, I'm taking a break to do some research before moving forward. I'm not clear if my LDO PCB will support 5v or if I would be better off going with something else now while it's easy, or even going to CANBus. Anyway I just discovered this forum while researching that question and figured I'd jump in. So here we go!
20230607_203432.jpg20230607_223618.jpg20230608_220956.jpg20230627_222122.jpg

20230627_235428.jpg20230629_000513.jpg20230701_024226.jpg

Love all the blue.
I would NOT go CAN bus during the build. TAP is super easy to configure, but CAN bus people really struggle with and you don't want very many variables while building.
Since you like to tinker just keep it on the back burner as a future mod. I think that is the best part of the Vorons is the constant modding and improving you can do with them.

Thanks. That what I was hoping to hear.

Tbh, when i saw canbus being used here i kind of cringed. I recently had an ordeal with an old BMW & Canbus that i spent months trying to fix; and didn't end well. Although with just two modules here i get it & it does make sense.

I still need to figure out how to get 5v to the TAP. Im sure it's right in front of me :)

The RevC kit comes with the 2-piece Stealthburner PCB's, so I am happy to inform you that it will work! I did this quick mod to use the CL CNC Tap myself.

On the back of the Stealthburner toolhead PCB, you will find a tracepad for setting the voltage for the probe. Simply cut the trace between the 24V and middle pads (I used an X-Acto knife), use a multimeter to continuity check that the middle pad is no longer connected to 24V, and then solder the middle pad to the 5V pad.

Ref image: https://github.com/MotorDynamicsLab... Toolhead PCB/Images/SB Toolhead PCB Back.jpg

The RevC kit comes with the 2-piece Stealthburner PCB's, so I am happy to inform you that it will work! I did this quick mod to use the CL CNC Tap myself.

On the back of the Stealthburner toolhead PCB, you will find a tracepad for setting the voltage for the probe. Simply cut the trace between the 24V and middle pads (I used an X-Acto knife), use a multimeter to continuity check that the middle pad is no longer connected to 24V, and then solder the middle pad to the 5V pad.

Ref image: https://github.com/MotorDynamicsLab/LDO-Voron-Hardware/blob/master/Stealthburner Toolhead PCB/Images/SB Toolhead PCB Back.jpg
Perfect! Thank you!

Thanks. That what I was hoping to hear.

Tbh, when i saw canbus being used here i kind of cringed. I recently had an ordeal with an old BMW & Canbus that i spent months trying to fix; and didn't end well. Although with just two modules here i get it & it does make sense.

I still need to figure out how to get 5v to the TAP. Im sure it's right in front of me :)
When you say old BMW, are we talking E36, E46? I have owned, built and raced some BMW's and currently have an E92 335is that is very, very modified.

When you say old BMW, are we talking E36, E46? I have owned, built and raced some BMW's and currently have an E92 335is that is very, very modified.
E46 M3 Vert - MT.. I had trifecta lights and eventually no start. Codes were comming up that the ECU couldn't read the IC. Pulled every module, sent IC and ecu out to be checked. On and on. Ended up selling it.

I also have an '89 911 that i don't expect to ever part with. I have a few projects in mind for that when I get this printer up and running. Starting with cup holders
, & No Canbus on that :)

E46 M3 Vert - MT.. I had trifecta lights and eventually no start. Codes were comming up that the ECU couldn't read the IC. Pulled every module, sent IC and ecu out to be checked. On and on. Ended up selling it.

I also have an '89 911 that i don't expect to ever part with. I have a few projects in mind for that when I get this printer up and running. Starting with cup holders
, & No Canbus on that :)
Awsome, car, and well balanced. Glad you got the MT instead of the SMG, it was pretty crappy. I have a DCT now and it is awesome.

Yeah wait for a year or two for wires to break then switch to CAN bus on the printer. It will be much more matured by then as too.

Awsome, car, and well balanced. Glad you got the MT instead of the SMG, it was pretty crappy. I have a DCT now and it is awesome.

Yeah wait for a year or two for wires to break then switch to CAN bus on the printer. It will be much more matured by then as too.
or until i have a few printers and can deal with it if one is out while i screw with the communicaitons.