What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

48V steppers - comparing results

tillin9

I got an Octopus Pro, 5160s, and a 48V PSU for my new V2's A/B. I haven't really noticed any difference except the steppers are a lot noisier (in terms of sound), print quality isn't as good as my older V2 but I'm thinking that's more due to it having a worse base (floor versus mass dampening table) and a lack of time spent tuning. I'm using Stepper Online 17HM19-2004S1s on both. My V2.1438 is just using 2209s at 24V and are a lot quieter. I went with this model since I got feedback on Discord that the LDO 0.9-degree steppers caused more resonances/ VFA artifacts and in general, I focus on print quality, so 0.9-degree steppers versus 1.8-degree seemed like the way to go.

Was looking for feedback from any community members who also took the 48V plunge - what was your experience like? I.e. was it the same as mine - absolutely no change and more noise? Are there some recommended settings (I tried a bunch of different settings but nothing besides stealthchop - which I really don't want to run on A/B - really seemed to do anything meaningful) to make your 48V steppers perform? Did I just get unlucky and these are not the steppers to use for 48V for some reason? (i.e. I'm missing something from the specs)

Thanks in advance.

Were you able to resolve your tuning issues? I am heading the way of 48v but I will be using the 2STH48-2804AH Super Speedy / Super Power High Temp steppers from LDO on my 350 build. I have seen a couple of reddit posts with some initial values for tuning, but I think I will also take a stab at the TMC stepper tuning for my A/B drives once my build hits that stage over the summer.

I will make sure to post up my config once I get it done to compare.

I have a 48v system setup on a non Voron printer using some Moon's but I don't recall the model now. They are a little noisy.

I do have the Super powers on a V2.4 and they are quite but I am running them with 2209's right now at 1.7v

I have a 48v system setup on a non Voron printer using some Moon's but I don't recall the model now. They are a little noisy.

I do have the Super powers on a V2.4 and they are quite but I am running them with 2209's right now at 1.7v
Are you willing to share your printer.cfg sections for the steppers and drivers? I'm not going to blindly run them or anything but I'm looking to run this exact same setup as an intermediate until I get time to install my 48V PSU and 5160 Pros. I'd love to use it to inform my tuning.

Here is X with a 5160 using 48v and sensorless homing.

#####################################################################
# X/Y Stepper Settings

## B Stepper - Left
## Connected to MOTOR_0
## Endstop connected to DIAG_0
[stepper_x]
step_pin: PF13
dir_pin: PF12
enable_pin: !PF14
rotation_distance: 40
microsteps: 64
full_steps_per_rotation:200 #set to 400 for 0.9 degree stepper
endstop_pin: tmc5160_stepper_x:virtual_endstop #PG6
position_min: 0
position_endstop: 154
position_max: 154

##--------------------------------------------------------------------
homing_speed: 20 #Max 100
homing_retract_dist: 0
homing_positive_dir: true
##
[tmc5160 stepper_x]
cs_pin: PC4
spi_software_sclk_pin: PA5
spi_software_miso_pin: PA6
spi_software_mosi_pin: PA7
run_current: 1.4
interpolate: False
sense_resistor: .075
Stealthchop_threshold: 0
diag1_pin: ^!PG6
driver_SGT: 1

Here is X with a 5160 using 48v and sensorless homing.

# X/Y Stepper Settings

## B Stepper - Left
## Connected to MOTOR_0
## Endstop connected to DIAG_0
[stepper_x]
step_pin: PF13
dir_pin: PF12
enable_pin: !PF14
rotation_distance: 40
microsteps: 64
full_steps_per_rotation:200 #set to 400 for 0.9 degree stepper
endstop_pin: tmc5160_stepper_x:virtual_endstop #PG6
position_min: 0
position_endstop: 154
position_max: 154

##--------------------------------------------------------------------
homing_speed: 20 #Max 100
homing_retract_dist: 0
homing_positive_dir: true
##
[tmc5160 stepper_x]
cs_pin: PC4
spi_software_sclk_pin: PA5
spi_software_miso_pin: PA6
spi_software_mosi_pin: PA7
run_current: 1.4
interpolate: False
sense_resistor: .075
Stealthchop_threshold: 0
diag1_pin: ^!PG6
driver_SGT: 1
Sorry - I should have been more clear. I meant the 2.4 with the Super Powers on 2209s.

Last edited:
Sorry, I never got back. I was never able to make the sound any better. The issue may be that my original V2 was 350mm, and my new one is 250mm. The much larger mass of the 350mm may dampen the sound or shift the frequency to something I'm less sensitive to.

I replaced the BTT Octopus on my new V2 with a Manta. I managed to actually fry the Manta board - one of the 5160s blew, and 48V killed the board. I have it working now with a replacement Manta. However, I'm a little shy and kept the 516s on 24V - it still seems louder.

Using a poorly calibrated phone decibel meter (so I don't believe these are absolute numbers, both too high, but good relative ones) I get 64 dB from the new v2 and 60 dB from the original.

I'm looking to switch my original V2.1438 to the same electronics (Manata with 5160s left on 24V) so I should be able to figure out once and for all if it's the electronics or the mechanics.

The motors you use play a very large factor in the noise resonance as well.

I fried a few 5160's using the Manta board as well and since have changed to the Octo Pro.