What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

6mm bed thickness

nairaca

Printer Model
Voron v1.8/ Trident
Extruder Type
Clockwork 1
Cooling Type
Afterburner
Hi, Im planning on building Voron v1.8. The bed on the BOM is 8mm thick. It is hard to find aluminum sheet with that kind of thickness, even if I do, it costs much more.
The available I saw is a 6mm thick, can I replace the bed with this? The only thing that I think I need to change from the BOM together with the aluminum plate is the 5x30mm rod for the z end (or I can change the stl for this to accommodate 2mm loss in height).

Another option is to buy 6mm and 2mm plate and stack them up together (yes, 6mm and 2mm plates are cheaper than 8mm plate). Im worried about the heating issue with this method.

A 1.8!? (Insert what year is this meme)

6mm should be fine though. Some very good beds are 6mm. Trying to laminate 2 plates does not sound like a good idea.

A 1.8!? (Insert what year is this meme)

6mm should be fine though. Some very good beds are 6mm. Trying to laminate 2 plates does not sound like a good idea.
Yeah, Im just short on my budget. I only need 2 Z axis, with v1.8 my control board can be SKR 1.4 which is cheaper than octopus or spider. Also, less 1 stepper motor for z axis and linear rails to linear rods haha. Well Ill also change the design for more cheaper option, (X gantry, frame and electronic enclosure will come from trident).

Thanks for the input. Yeah, thats what I thought too but its too late! hahaha, I already bought 2mm plate, Ill try to cancel my order now haha.