What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Beacon ABL question

Simon Eyre

Printer Model
LDO Voron 0.2 S1
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Other
Hi everyone.
Shortly I will be getting a LDO Voron 0.2 S1 kit.
This will be my first Voron build, and I am really looking forward to it.
On my other 3d printer I have a Beacon ABL which I was thinking of bringing across to the Voron.
I really like it as I can get a 30x30 bed mesh on a 225x225 bed in a matter of seconds.
However in my looking I can't see much on people using an ABL on a Voron 0.2
Is this just because the bed is so small?
I hoping to get your combined thoughts before a design a mount for it.
Thanks in advance

There's really no need for a probe on the V0, and any design for them has to compromise on something, due to the small build volume. Beacon would make you loose quite a lot of print area, and with the size and thickness of the bed, you really don't need a bed mesh.

There's really no need for a probe on the V0, and any design for them has to compromise on something, due to the small build volume. Beacon would make you loose quite a lot of print area, and with the size and thickness of the bed, you really don't need a bed mesh.
I 100% agree. I see no reason to add any probe or ABL device to such a small build plate. It only adds weight and complexity to something that you can do manually once and be done.

I'm not saying that either of you are wrong... but as a community we say two things:
1) The V0 bed is small enough that a bed mesh is unnecessary.
2) Adaptive mesh (KAMP, etc) is the best thing in the world for first layer perfection because the mesh is made in the small area the print occupies.

Obviously those two are at odds with each other. We just never speak of it. 🤫