What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Beginner Looking for Advice

Crowley

I just discovered Voron and I am excited. I currently have a Snapmaker 2.0 but I am running into problems and limitations and I ready to switch ecosystems. I was attracted to the Snapmaker because of the 3d printer and the laser engraver/cutter, I am getting into bookbinding and the laser engraver makes good leather engravings. Here are a list of questions before I dive Headfirst.

Q1 : 2.4 Vs Trident - They look to have about the same performance with the "big" differences being construction and cost. Neither cause me concern but it looks like there are more mods and support for the 2.4 so I was going to go with that. Is there any other reason to go with the Trident over the 2.4 based on the following questions?

Q2 : IDEX - I am interested to implement the IDEX mod as that is one of the primary reasons for switching as I need to support multiple materials (preferably without a purge block). It looks like it mainly gets implemented on the Trident. Is there any reason this cannot be implemented on 2.4?

Q3 : Laser Attachment - I would like to implement a laser attachment instead of getting another machine due to space, maintenance, and the laser would not be used enough to warrant a dedicated machine. I think a 10 W laser would be enough as it would also be nice to make French cleat modules out of 1/4 " wood. The problem is that it looks like Klipper does not have any dedicated laser functions yet other than some tinkering by other makers. What would be the limitations of the Voron ecosystem? Side Note : I can work with solidworks so I can design my own mount if needed.

Thanks for the advice.

Q1 The Trident is a _slightly_ easier build and is _slightly_ faster. There are many mods for the Trident too. Some I'd recommend (for your first Voron it might be better to build stock though so there's that caveat) include:
  1. CANBUS - I have the EBB36 v1.2 from BTT; you need something like the U2C from BTT also for that - it reduces the number of wires on your toolhead significantly. If you want to go with CANBUS and specifically the EBB36 v1.2 from BTT rather than the 2040 alternative then this link will help: https://www.printables.com/model/430741-voron-stealthburner-umbilical-door-mount-for-btt-e
  2. Nevermore v6
  3. Make sure you go with Stealthburner rather than Afterburner for your first build.
  4. TAP; I can recommend the Mellow CNC TAP
  5. Consider (more expensive but a LOT faster probe) the Beacon; though you will need a mount (you can print that) - you could go with this nice CNC lightweight mount (not recommending the Cartographer itself btw since they've stolen the Beacon design and it's a clone): https://cartographer3d.com/products/cartographer3d-cnc-stealthburner-mount-only-23-4g
  6. Consider going 48V (advanced mod so perhaps not initially for your first build
  7. Consider going (later on; not for your first build) with XOL2.5, for which you'll also need either Beefy Idlers or Ramalama. You can google the XOL github if you want to find out more.
  8. You might like my parametric box remix here too(!): https://www.printables.com/model/585980-voron-parametric-box

The main difference between Trident and V2.4 is the Z axis. Trident is three leadscrews (thus the name) while the V2.4 is belted. The Trident is a bit easier and less expensive. I am still really happy with my Trident closing on three years (!) of use. Many "V2.4" mods actually work with the Trident, just nothing to do with the Z axis--and many of those have a version for each printer.

There is an IDEX Trident: the Tridex. Here's the start of an excellent build series of a Trident by Steve--the designer of the Trident. It's definitely not a beginner build.

Not too sure about the laser. That's not at all a common mod.

Honestly, I'd start with a spec Trident and go from there. Stealthburner is now spec, so that is automatic. Tap isn't all that hard as long as you get the sensor responding. From what I am reading, completely IMHO, I'd avoid Canbus for now. It still strikes me as early days and is not an easy set up by a long shot. If it works, it works--but if not it seems like a nightmare to get debugged.

I went down the rabbit hole of self source building and got 3 hours in and price was getting closer and closer to the kit suppliers. I sat back and thought .... "You now what? ... how much is my time worth?" ... "This is ridiculous - just but a kit at least you know all the parts are there and they are tried and tested". So I did, -Researched and got a 2.4 V2 Canbus with Tap and set up up Sensorless homing out of the box. Got a Magic Phoenix kit and never looked back. Even did a You tube full build series on it.

I went down the rabbit hole of self source building and got 3 hours in and price was getting closer and closer to the kit suppliers. I sat back and thought .... "You now what? ... how much is my time worth?" ... "This is ridiculous - just but a kit at least you know all the parts are there and they are tried and tested". So I did, -Researched and got a 2.4 V2 Canbus with Tap and set up up Sensorless homing out of the box. Got a Magic Phoenix kit and never looked back. Even did a You tube full build series on it.
Link to youtube build series?

Your reasoning is only valid when you can buy all parts all at once. Self sourcing gives a person the opportunity to spread the expense over a period of time, which can be important for those who live in countries where the currency is weaker in relation to the US dollar. Also, all kits but Magic Phoenix have a fixed list of components, and usually you can't replace them without some effort, specially the hotend and stepper motors, and it isn't uncommon for people to buy those pieces separately later; self sourcing allows you to buy exactly what you want in the first place.

Both approaches have their pros and cons, choose whatever suits you better.