What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

boops makerspace

boop4198

I saw that no one posted in here yet so I figured I'm gonna go first.

We moved a while ago and I do now have a broom closet attached to my office. I want it to make my printer/tinkering room. Unfortunately it's pretty narrow (138x383cm). That means I have to make use of every cm :D

I'm working on this concept for a while now and I'd absolutely love to hear your opinions about it! Maybe you get a neat idea how I can fit in more space for storage.

1673315374165.png

This is what I came up with after a while

1673315890001.png

The table is floating for the most part. Beams mounted on the wall and a kitchen drawer are supposed to hold it up

1673316353043.png

I've designed a simple spool holder based on the IKEA Ivar frames. It's just a printed part mounted on top of 4 pins which can hold 2 pipes. It's not super fancy but I think it's a clever use of space
1673316151561.png
1673316621761.png

Last edited:
Super interesting and cute use of space. I wish I had a dedicated space for printers instead of it all in one room with my office.

I'm in the process of implementing an IKEA Billy bookcase with doors for filament storage. Been sealing the gaps around the doors with foam, and planning to seal the gaps in the back with silicone. The Billy comes with 4 movable shelves and 2 fixed shelves, so a total of 6, but you can easily fit 2 more shelves for a total of 8 that will fit all the 1kg spools I have on hand for testing. Might be something to consider for dust/humidity mitigation.

PXL_20230103_061330130.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that I would plan for a wall mounted spool holder for your printers. You want to maximize workbench space and you have a shelf in the way of a top mount spool holder.

Super interesting and cute use of space. I wish I had a dedicated space for printers instead of it all in one room with my office.

I'm in the process of implementing an IKEA Billy bookcase with doors for filament storage. Been sealing the gaps around the doors with foam, and planning to seal the gaps in the back with silicone. The Billy comes with 4 movable shelves and 2 fixed shelves, so a total of 6, but you can easily fit 2 more shelves for a total of 8 that will fit all the 1kg spools I have on hand for testing. Might be something to consider for dust/humidity mitigation.

What kind of doors do you have in mind? AFAIK there are no doors made from IKEA for the Billy shelves

Looks like you have a great idea already. I have noting to add but 👏

Thank you!

The only thing I can think of is that I would plan for a wall mounted spool holder for your printers. You want to maximize workbench space and you have a shelf in the way of a top mount spool holder.

I was thinking about that as well but I want to keep the printers as far in the back as possible to have some space left in front of them. So I was thinking about installing a prusa like spool holder. Like this one here https://mods.vorondesign.com/detail/VjlccbeeOuH5iax4AFHA

5.png

What kind of doors do you have in mind? AFAIK there are no doors made from IKEA for the Billy shelves.
Actually, they make doors called Oxberg with either top glass and wood bottom, or top and bottom glass.

PXL_20230105_052715225.jpg

It's taken a bit of trial and error to figure out what thickness of foam to use, and I'd recommend doing all the sealing while it's still on the floor and before putting the doors on. Happy to share more details if you're interested.

I'll second the Oxberg doors, I have them on my Billy shelf, and they work rather well. Bit of a pain to get hung properly, but still.

Since it'll take some time until I can realize all of this I also have time to rethink this again and again lol. I wasn't quite happy with the upper shelf and the total amount of space so I made the table quite a bit longer, changed to a small ivar, added a second cabinet and a nicer looking shelf on the wall. Oh and a placeholder for a small parts storage system.

1674437728198.png

Also added a COB strip on the underside of the shelf. That makes me independent from the lighting in the room

1674437867383.png

Must not forget the robovac. Someone gotta pick up all the intro lines

1674437930866.png

I'm absolutely not happy how the place below the printer is not used at all though. I'm not sure how I can use this efficiently. Adding another cabinet would probably look meh because of the support beam. Can't add the first drawer and it has to be behind the beam.
1674438013759.png

Hi,
I would build a stable shelf for the printers, so that each printer stands in its own compartment. This way, there might be room for more printers underneath later on.
This allows you to do without the horizontal support and you can mount a drawer between the vertical stands (or plates - depending on your choice) directly under the printers where then all the tools needed for the printer will find space.

I love the concept! The counter that bridges the two walls should be extremely stable. Good luck with the build.

Following zappodrom advise I would put the printers in vertical position. This way I'd have more workbench space.

Further more, I would consider a moving cabinet on wheels, ie Idasen from IKEA, comes in a couple of colours as well. It fits your current design, and its future proof for any re-designs that you might consider. This one is expensive, but you get the concept.

You might also consider a dehumidifier inside the room, so you can keep everything without doors and easily accesible. Its frastrating to open doors in small spaces. Plus it will sustain all the materials inside the room in print ready condition.

Jealus for the space, wish I had one...

Last edited:
Since it'll take some time until I can realize all of this I also have time to rethink this again and again lol. I wasn't quite happy with the upper shelf and the total amount of space so I made the table quite a bit longer, changed to a small ivar, added a second cabinet and a nicer looking shelf on the wall. Oh and a placeholder for a small parts storage system.

View attachment 1437

Also added a COB strip on the underside of the shelf. That makes me independent from the lighting in the room

View attachment 1438

Must not forget the robovac. Someone gotta pick up all the intro lines

View attachment 1439

I'm absolutely not happy how the place below the printer is not used at all though. I'm not sure how I can use this efficiently. Adding another cabinet would probably look meh because of the support beam. Can't add the first drawer and it has to be behind the beam.
View attachment 1440
I would think about putting a shelf below. Currently in my workspace I use a bookshelf to support one end of the desk I made. I makes the desk sturdy and uses the space below for more stuff like printer chow or tools.

I may be late to the party, but to optimally place the cat, I suggest putting the trash can in the corner and cutting a hole out of your desktop so that you can brush all the 3d debris right in with little to no mess. Plus the cat will be a more integral part of the design that is ;).