What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Bowden Toolhead on a 2.4?

Dave32

Just curious - has anyone run (or know of anyone running) a Bowden-style toolhead on a 2.4 series printer, with the extruder mounted elsewhere on the gantry?
Are there any existing projects (official or otherwise) to do this?

Yes, you can use bowden tube feed on a 2.4, both Clockwork 1 & 2 (the extruders for the Afterburner and the Stealthburner, respectively) have official bowden tube components if you so desire. You can use the M4 extruder for that, it's also an official Voron project.

Many would ask why bowden instead of direct drive though, but the option is already there.

Thanks. Is there a "Bowden StealthBurner" then, or is it just the full StealthBurner body without the extruder inside?
(ie: Is there a variant akin to the V0's Bowden Mini StealthBurner?)

Bowden Mini StealthBurner.jpg

@Dave32 where did you find your cable/wire strain relief? I have been trying to find it or something like it and have come up empty. Any information would be appreciated.

@DeadiPod - Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. The photo I posted isn't mine - it's a screenshot from a YouTube channel called "247printing".

Specifically, this video:

Yes, there is a Bowden module that replaces the Clockwork2, which can be mounted behind the part cooling fan on the Stealth burner. I'm using that with an M4. Advantage? A little less weight and lower inertia on the X axis, the M4 is a bit easier to build than the CW2 (and maybe a bit cheaper). You can still use a toolhead PCB with the bowden module, I have an SB2040 CAN toolhead in mine. The motor cable runs along the bowden tube BTW.

Yes, there is a Bowden module that replaces the Clockwork2, which can be mounted behind the part cooling fan on the Stealth burner. I'm using that with an M4. Advantage? A little less weight and lower inertia on the X axis, the M4 is a bit easier to build than the CW2 (and maybe a bit cheaper). You can still use a toolhead PCB with the bowden module, I have an SB2040 CAN toolhead in mine. The motor cable runs along the bowden tube BTW.
That sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures of your printer?