What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Building a voron

So I’m mulling over the idea of building a voron. Here’s my situation. I’ve come up with a product that I don’t think will have a large enough demand to do injection molding so I’m going to print it. The size is 12.25x8 inches. I bought an Anycubic and returned it, I bought an elegoo and returned it. These things are just massive piles of garbage and that brings me to my background. I’ve built cnc milling machines and I have an idea about building and some wiring of said machines. Based n my requirements and my background with kits would it be wise to jump into a voron build? If so which kit and does anyone suggest a specific vendor that they really stand behind? Thanks in advance.

Well, you're probably looking at a 350 V2.4 or Trident for that size part. Vorons aren't all that hard to put together, especially given your background. I managed it coming in almost totally cold--only a Prusa Mini kit before my Trident. LDO is kind of the gold standard for kits. High quality parts, a nice selection of baked-in mods. Vorons do take some tinkering to get them going at first, there's tuning and a bit of tweaking of config to get it running just how you want. Once that's done, they are workhorses--said Trident is now pushing 2500 hours(!)

Well, you're probably looking at a 350 V2.4 or Trident for that size part. Vorons aren't all that hard to put together, especially given your background. I managed it coming in almost totally cold--only a Prusa Mini kit before my Trident. LDO is kind of the gold standard for kits. High quality parts, a nice selection of baked-in mods. Vorons do take some tinkering to get them going at first, there's tuning and a bit of tweaking of config to get it running just how you want. Once that's done, they are workhorses--said Trident is now pushing 2500 hours(!)
Rad. Thats good to hear. So let me ask you this…if I’m doing the 350 vz4 should I just grab a kit or source all my pieces from the purchase/link list? I’m only curious about this because I was thinking that maybe ordering from the list would allow me to really be involved with all aspects including the sourcing. Is it just a better move to do the LDO because their parts are just superior? So many questions. As far as tinkering goes I love tinkering on something that’s actually going to work. I hate these pile of crap anycubics and elegoo things. Absolute garbage….so bring on the tinkering. I’d really like my printer to be up to date for a year so are there any recommendations in regards to upgrades when I order my kit? Thanks for the insight

Also, keep in mind that the 3d printing world is entirely metric, so you have to get used to talk in millimeters instead of inches.
Oi! I can do that. My girl uses metric in her jewelry making and I’ve adopted it in some of my cad design. The real stinker is that I’m a grading and excavation superintendent and half the trades use standard and we use tenths. So I’ve grown accustomed to a unit of measure that nobody uses.

how's this one? https://www.3dprintersbay.com/voron...e1Vza77wumRSQ8ST-8tUMqkA-_RaDEVEaAu_ZEALw_wcB

I'm not at all familiar with that one. These days a kit is so much easier. I built my Trident nearly 2 years ago (!!) and the kit market was just barely getting started. I self-sourced it and took about 3 months or so to gather the parts; that was fun in a way, but took time, patience, and planning. My just-built V0.2 is a LDO kit and I knew all the parts were there and good quality, so I could just get on with building. These days, I'd go with a kit and, while more spendy, the LDOs are great.

I'm not at all familiar with that one. These days a kit is so much easier. I built my Trident nearly 2 years ago (!!) and the kit market was just barely getting started. I self-sourced it and took about 3 months or so to gather the parts; that was fun in a way, but took time, patience, and planning. My just-built V0.2 is a LDO kit and I knew all the parts were there and good quality, so I could just get on with building. These days, I'd go with a kit and, while more spendy, the LDOs are great.

Thanks a ton for the input. I’m straddling this weird spot between not wanting to buy a junk kit and also not wanting to pay too much based on branding or marketing. I’m sure you’ve been on this forum for long enough to suss out what’s good and what’s bad. Besides the LDO kit is there anything else that’s a contender? Thanks again.

Ok so I’m finding myself here…either the LDO kit, kb3d or magic phoenix canbus kit. The 3dprinterbay kit looks interesting but I’ve read some sketchy things. Any input would be great to help me pull the trigger on my order. Thanks.

I only have personal experience with the LDO V0 kit, but they are basically the gold standard in kits. A friend just built a Formbot V2.4 kit (I think an older rev) and it was generally good with a few minor hiccups. I'm sure there's others with more extensive experience in various kits. I will say that I think you can't go wrong going with LDO. Another nice thing with those I Jason hangs out here on occasion and often over at the Discord. He also pops up on the various YouTube live stream chats.

I only have personal experience with the LDO V0 kit, but they are basically the gold standard in kits. A friend just built a Formbot V2.4 kit (I think an older rev) and it was generally good with a few minor hiccups. I'm sure there's others with more extensive experience in various kits. I will say that I think you can't go wrong going with LDO. Another nice thing with those I Jason hangs out here on occasion and often over at the Discord. He also pops up on the various YouTube live stream chats.
I feel like I’ll end up going the LDO route. I have a soft spot for these 3dprintersbay guys because they’re right up the road from me. Sometimes I hate being frugal.

Well, that makes support easy; just drive up the road and show up in person. 😄 They may be perfectly good, I just don't have any info on them.

Well, that makes support easy; just drive up the road and show up in person. 😄 They may be perfectly good, I just don't have any info on them.
“Where’s my shit buddy”. I ordered one off of Magic phoenix. I’m going to do a whole video series of my build so there’s some documentation of it. I’m coming from a full novice place to show people it can be done.