What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

CAN Bus Upgrade Information and Sources

Everyone please see issue 44 on the canboot github for a fix for the u2c not allowing CAN flashing to the EBB. BTT has an updated firmware that I tested and verified working. https://github.com/Arksine/CanBoot/issues/44

For anyone who wants to reproduce this.
  1. Download the file from bigtreetech comment
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/Arksine/CanBoot/files/10410265/G0B1_U2C_V2.zip
  2. Stop klipper
    Code:
    sudo systemctl stop klipper
  3. Bring down the can interface
    Code:
    sudo ifdown can0
  4. Unzip the firmware file from bigtreetech
    Code:
    unzip G0B1_U2C_V2.zip
  5. Unplug the u2c controller from usb
  6. Press and hold the boot button on the u2c and plug the usb cable back in, then release the boot button.
  7. Verify that the u2c is in dfu mode
    Code:
    dfu-util -l
    You should see lines that contain
    Code:
    Found DFU: [0483:df11]
  8. Flash the new firmware to the u2c
    Code:
    dfu-util -D G0B1_U2C_V2.bin -d 0483:df11 -a 0 -s 0x08000000:leave
  9. Unplug and replug in the usb cable for the u2c to reset it
  10. The CAN interface should now be back up, if not
    Code:
    sudo ifup can0
  11. Follow the steps to compile and flash canboot to the EBB
  12. Follow the steps to compile and flash klipper over CAN
  13. Start klipper
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start klipper
* Edited to format the commands
Ok, what bitrate do i set can to with this firmware? Is CAN bitrate relevant to this device and firmware, or only based on EBB36 setting?

My advice. Order duplicates or magic blue smoke refill kits. Super easy to smoke the ebb36 and 42 by skipping one step. I can't remember which step unfortunately, probably forgetting to remove the usb power jumper when switching to canbus power. Usb is 5v and canbus is 12-24v.

Maybe order 3...I think have bought 8 installed 3 an smoked 3 others. Just the head though. Never had an issue with the can hat.

Some of my problem was that I was coming from the btt can crab thing that uses a usb-c cord. Didn't realize it was canbus and not usb-c.
Pretty easy to cross the wires in the 4pin plugs too. Some times only double checking them isn't enough.
I usualy plugged them in then used an ohm meter from board to board instead of just looking at the plugs.

My advice. Order duplicates or magic blue smoke refill kits. Super easy to smoke the ebb36 and 42 by skipping one step. I can't remember which step unfortunately, probably forgetting to remove the usb power jumper when switching to canbus power. Usb is 5v and canbus is 12-24v.

Maybe order 3...I think have bought 8 installed 3 an smoked 3 others. Just the head though. Never had an issue with the can hat.

Some of my problem was that I was coming from the btt can crab thing that uses a usb-c cord. Didn't realize it was canbus and not usb-c.
Pretty easy to cross the wires in the 4pin plugs too. Some times only double checking them isn't enough.
I usualy plugged them in then used an ohm meter from board to board instead of just looking at the plugs.
I have to agree with this. I also buy them in sets and have magic smoked 1 or two of them just in testing.