What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Cleaning and greasing rails if stored

Printer Model
Voron Trident 350
I’ve purchased the frame and rails as well as a few odds and ends for my Trident build.

I plan to start with the frame but it will be months before I can most likely buy other pieces I need. In reality I’m looking at having a working printer no sooner than a year out.

Should I inspect and then securely the linear rails I’ve purchased or proceed with cleaning and greasing them and mounting them even though they’ll sit for the most part for awhile?

Or something else? I may just be overthinking it but figured it’s safer to ask than to assume.

They come covered in transport oil, so it's really up to you. You can either leave them in their packaging and clean and lube before you put them on, or just clean and lube them now and safely store in a place where dust does not gets on them.

They come covered in transport oil, so it's really up to you. You can either leave them in their packaging and clean and lube before you put them on, or just clean and lube them now and safely store in a place where dust does not gets on them.
Ok. So something to cover them after install while waiting will work then.

The room can get dusty and it’s a full time fight to keep on top of it (have my other printer there, dust/etc from animals in the house, etc)

I'd just leave the rails in their packaging with the shipping oil until you are ready to build. Then do the cleaning & greasing just before you mount them. But that's just me.

I'd just leave the rails in their packaging with the shipping oil until you are ready to build. Then do the cleaning & greasing just before you mount them. But that's just me.

Sounds like a good deal... I'll just make sure everything is good with them and then store until I need them before continuing

I was in the same dilema as my build would actually require me to use the rails one month apart and I also stay in a dusty area. I kept my rails in the packaging it arrived in as it already had some factory oil applied on it. The rails stayed put for almost a month after which I took them out and I cleaned it with IPA and then greased it with white lithium grease.

I am however not sure of how long you can keep it in the factory oil packaging so my vendor told me it's good for a month so please check back with your vendor for the same.

I was in the same dilema as my build would actually require me to use the rails one month apart and I also stay in a dusty area. I kept my rails in the packaging it arrived in as it already had some factory oil applied on it. The rails stayed put for almost a month after which I took them out and I cleaned it with IPA and then greased it with white lithium grease.

I am however not sure of how long you can keep it in the factory oil packaging so my vendor told me it's good for a month so please check back with your vendor for the same.
I didn’t even think about that. Much appreciated!

I think I had mine sitting untouched for about two months before using them. I did normal full cleaning & lubing, and they have been trouble free.