What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Configurator Recomendations

myxxmikeyxx

Hello I have a few recommendations for the configurator tool on vorondesign.com
I was using the configurator tool on the website to get a BOM for a Voron2.4
Where does it pull the names for the parts? I noticed they don't all match but are very close. I know it doesn't pull them form the google sheets BOM with links because they don't match exactly.
Could this be changed and fixed so that the generated BOM (gBOM) matches the BOM on the website so ctrl + f works?
Second is can the gBOM creation tool talk to the spreadsheet at all to get information? The reason I am asking is if the gBOM and the online BOM have matching names then you can do a command like
``` =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B2&"*",BOM!C:H,3, FALSE), "Can't Find on List") ``` for a column to show the normal package size
``` =IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(B2&"*",BOM!C:H,5, FALSE) = "", "No Source", VLOOKUP(B2&"*",BOM!C:H,5, FALSE)) , "Can't Find On List") ``` for a column with a link to the recommended sourcing location?
I am no expert by any means but google appscript is powerful. I use to code in it every day for the education system I worked for. I was reading that website links can make calls to a script's function (Link) to do task and return values. This might be how you get those values that match the BOM into the gBOM.

Side note I copied the BOM on the website into a google sheets page and then imported my gBOM and then did this in two columns to get a list that matches the BOM but shorter.
This is did work but if those scrips could be used and then the BOM be generated with those links that might help a lot of people.
I am not saying to add the prices or anything like that, just make a BOM with a date time stamp and links from the time it was created.
At least if the BOM and the generated BOM match then someone can do what I did a lot easier and no have to flip back and forth a dozen+ times to get everything they need.

Second is can the gBOM creation tool talk to the spreadsheet at all to get information? The reason I am asking is if the gBOM and the online BOM have matching names then you can do a command like
Hi, if you mean the Sourcing Guide, then no, it does not talk to that. BOM from configurator is your source of truth, telling you what you need to buy and how many. Sourcing guide only tells you where you can potentially source those items. Do not rely on numbers in sourcing guide, they may be wrong.

Hi, if you mean the Sourcing Guide, then no, it does not talk to that. BOM from configurator is your source of truth, telling you what you need to buy and how many. Sourcing guide only tells you where you can potentially source those items. Do not rely on numbers in sourcing guide, they may be wrong.
Yes the sourcing guide! Why does the BMO have a different name for items than the sourcing guide? If they had the same then ctrl + f would be a lot nicer to use but they don't. They have close to the same and some are the same but not all. Could the BMO get updated to what the sourcing guide names it or vice versa? It would just make looking for the item much easier than doing ctrl + f and pasting it in and getting 0 results and then having to pick out the parts that match to get results.

This is just a small example of the minor differences. They aren't big but when you have ~130 row excel sheet and trying to find and make sure you got all the links for all the parts the time it takes to modify every single one to ctrl + f works adds up.

BMO ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sourcing Guide ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2x10 Self-tapping ScrewM2x10 Self Tapping Screw for Plastics
GT2 80T Pulley (5mm ID 6mm W)GT2 80T (6mm wide) Pulley (5mm bore)
GT2 20T Pulley (5mm ID 6mm W)GT2 20T (6mm wide) Pulley (5mm bore)
GT2 20T Pulley (5mm ID 9mm W)GT2 20T (9mm wide) Pulley (5mm bore)
GT2 20T Toothed Idler (5mm ID 6mm W)GT2 20T (6mm wide) Toothed Idler (5mm bore)
GT2 20T Toothed Idler (5mm ID 9mm W)GT2 20T (9mm wide) Toothed Idler (5mm bore)
F695 BearingF695 2RS Bearing
625 Bearing625 2RS Bearing
Ø5x60mm Shaft5x60mm Shaft - Grind Flat
GT2 Belt Loop (6mm W) - 188mmGT2 Belt Loop (6mm wide) - 188mm
BMG Extruder Components KitBMG Extruder Hardware Kit (if configured with direct feed)
Omron D2F-01L Micro SwitchOmron Mouse Button - Micro Switch
Inductive Probe (See sourcing guide)Inductive Probe

Could the (See sourcing guide) and the Lengths for custom builds not be put in its own column to make it easier too?
Plus the naming on the BOM where they shorten words and change the order wide to W and flip the width and the bore but then on BOM call bore ID (inner diameter I assume).
These little differences make it hard to ctrl + f and do so a script like I tried.

Plus some misspelling on words like: Afilliate - Affiliate, legitmate - legitimate, extrustions - extrusions, begining - beginning, whats - what's. This is just a few. I understand that many people suck at spelling, I do too, but spellcheck does work in google sheets (not great but it can find these).

All in all I love the project and the support and just wanted to bring all of these ideas and suggestions up, hoping that the right people will see this and act on them or try to. Please reach out with any questions. I know this all may seem like a lot of bashing but I promise that is not my intention. I just love to automate where I can but these are problems that can be address and show that two or more different people are working to meet a goal but have no idea how the other one is spelling or ordering words / items but they both get the point across. Maybe some sor of standard naming conventions along with layout for BOM like custom lengths having its own column?