What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Connecting Raspberry Pi 5 to Leviathan Board

RavenReplicator

Hello everyone,

I’m currently building a Voron 2.4 using the LDO kit, which includes the Leviathan control board. I intend to connect it to a Raspberry Pi 5, but I’ve discovered that the necessary Raspberry Pi 5 HAT adapter is missing from my package.

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any guidance:

1. What are the alternative methods for connecting the Raspberry Pi 5 to the Leviathan control board without the HAT adapter?
  2. Where can I find or purchase the specific HAT adapter required for this setup?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Hat adapter? You mean the little pcb to connect Pi via UART? Contact seller if it was not included in package. Crimp your own harness meanwhile, just a few short wires and Dupont connectors on Pi, JST XH on Leviathan.

I am not sure if the board will provide enough power for RPI 5... you may need to use external power source if it does not. Pi5 is hungry.

I connected RP5 just using the wires with dupont connectors, it started up but halted in the mid of klipper installation, I think due to insufficient power. I swapped it with my old RP3, works so far. I think I will need to power RP5 with a separate supply. Is there a recommended power supply?

If you connect via dupont headers, make sure to use multiple. Even on pi3 just connecting two (ground and hot) was often not enough.

If you want to power the pi5 via USB C, make sure it can deliver enough amps. I think you need 5V 5Amp or something silly like that. Read up on it. There are not many 5v USB C that do that. At least if you don't want the pi5 to clock down. Though even when it clocks down it should still be faster then a pi4. But you get that pesky red error message in klipper ui.

This makes me want to upgrade to a PI5 but have to consider a few things first.