What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Converting my 2.4 from 2 motor to 4 motor.

More torque (allows faster accelerations), shorter belt distances from motor-to-toolhead (supposedly makes input shaping more effective), and for the V2.4, a more balanced gantry weight.
Oh, and street cred. Since just building a Voron isn't good enough anymore. 😁
Nailed it! I pretty much just want to tinker and see the results of running it.

@aTinyShellScript Did you run the VZbot motors with the round shaft or can I use a flat shaft motor. I ask because I won some LDO-42STH48-2804AH (S55) from the Armchair Discord a while back and wanted to use those if I am successful at cutting the shafts down to about 22mm from 55mm.

Might try it in the future just as soon as I convert an old (unfinished) printer to Voron using all the spare parts I now have, and of course, finish, my first Voron just as soon as the remaining printed parts arrive.

@aTinyShellScript Did you run the VZbot motors with the round shaft or can I use a flat shaft motor. I ask because I won some LDO-42STH48-2804AH (S55) from the Armchair Discord a while back and wanted to use those if I am successful at cutting the shafts down to about 22mm from 55mm.

You can use any motor but you'll likely want the grub screws on the front motors to be on the round sections of the shaft vs the flats.

Okay parts are mostly in and I began assembling. I will grab some pics tonight.
I have a few different sets of TMC 5160's but only in pairs since that is all I ever needed so I have to see what I have and order two more that match or get a full new set of 4 steppers.

I also think at this time I will leave the shafts on the motors long as I see no downsides to leaving them long.

And, my rails on Y are in terrible shape so I am cleaning them and re greasing all X and Y rails.

I got some work done. Motors on, belts ran, that was a PITA. I checked the fitment of Galileo2 with Steathburner, seems okay but a little tight. I think my PC-CF has more shrinkage than I thought. I hope nothing binds in the extruder.
I just ordered some Motor wire extensions, just being lazy, and don't feel like extending them myself.
Waiting on the BTT 5160T pros as well.

IMG_0093 (Phone).JPGIMG_0094 (Phone).JPGIMG_0092 (Phone).JPG

Toolhead is up and moving. So I was having some issues getting the drivers to work properly so I ordered a new Octopus Pro 1.1 with the stm723 mcu.
After installing it I could not get motor Z1 to buzz and was troubleshooting and thinking about it for almost two days. Finally one of the guys on the Armchair Discord server said the Pinout changed for a few pins from version 1 to 1.1. Sure enough that fixed it.

Now I have to figure out what to do about my Rapido UHF and Beacon. I need to use an adaptor for the Beacon probe but I just don't like it very much.
So my options are,
1. Deal with it
2. Go Standard flow
3. Change to a new hotend. Maybe the Next NG

Edit: I will git some video this week

Is the situation any better if you switched to the Dragon Burner toolhead? I've read nothing but praise about it lately.

Is the situation any better if you switched to the Dragon Burner toolhead? I've read nothing but praise about it lately.
I think it would be better. I run the DB on my v0 and it is a great toolhead. I will consider making that change, thanks for the suggestion.

I also have a XOL made in SLM someplace I really should use but I had a flood a year ago and I can't seem to find it.

That looks neat what immediate advantage do you see after the awd implementation?
I still have some kinks to work out but the prints look better over all. I have 6mm acrylic panels and they doors are hitting the motors so I have to redesign or change the doors. And my Toolhead USB cable stopped sending 24v to the tool head. I made a new wire loom and it works but still need to mount it.
After its fully assembled I will do some more tuning before I get final results.

Hi @aTinyShellScript does it have to be a long shafted one? or just regular nema17 will do?
You can use a regular shafted motor. I as 55 shafted motors laying around so I used those in combination with the Monolith gantry bearing holder for the shaft. I should try and upload a video when I get a chance.