What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Couple of print issues with new Trident build

kizmit99

Printer Model
Trident
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi all - looking for some suggestions on what might be causing a couple of print quality issues I'm seeing on a fresh Trident build...
This printer is my second Voron printer. The first was a V2.4 which I completed a few months ago and that printer has been running great from day one. This printer (the Trident) is a rebuild of my original Hypercube printer that I built years ago following Tech2C's original plans. I've reused a lot of the extrusions. The build surface is also from the original (so it is 1/4" plate vs the 3/8" recommended for the Voron). I've reused two of the Z stepper/leadscrews with a 3rd purchased new for this build. A/B steppers are repurposed from the Hypercube as is the E3D V6 clone hotend. Electronics are all new for this build, with most of the stepper wires reused. I'm running a BTT Octopus v1.1 controller with an EBB SB2209 CAN controller at the StealthBurner. Also using ChaoticLabs aluminum TAP for the Z-Probe... here is a pic of the printer for context:

trident1.jpg

As far as I can tell everything is working well, except for two issues. First, I'm having surprisingly poor first layers. And second, I'm getting a weird effect on the corner of the FilamentCard test print.

So, the first layer problem... After adjusting my Z probe offset (remember, this is a TAP setup) if I try to print my first layer at anything less than 0.3mm layer height I get tearing of the first layer. But at 0.3mm layer height and above I get a very "wobbly" layer. It's almost as if the nozzle is moving up and down as it traverses. Some pics:

trident2.jpg

trident3.jpgtrident4.jpgtrident5.jpg

Obviously .2mm and .25mm layer heights are not sticking and the plastic (btw, this is Hatchbox PLA) is lifting/tearing away from the build surface. At .3mm I still seem to be getting some lifting that I assume is causing the waviness you can see in the last image, but it is not being torn away by the nozzle. I'm finding that even at .3mm layer height the lifting/tearing is hit-or-miss.

This is a shot of the edge of the (one layer thick) print. Trying to capture/show the waviness that I seem to be getting.
trident6.jpg

My V2.4 also is using TAP, but I'm using the printed version not the CL version, so I was thinking maybe that was part of the issue? At one point I was wondering if maybe I forgot to add the magnet which holds the print head down when not probing - checked that, the magnet is there. Since it looks to me like the nozzle might be moving up/down while printing I did a test where I homed the Z against a scale, then adjusted Z height down (bringing the build plate up) .005mm at a time recording the nozzle pressure against the scale at each step. If useful I can provide the data, but basically the pressure increased about 10g per .005mm step until it reached about 500g and the Z-probe triggered. After that the pressure remained at about 480g as the nozzle continued "down". That seemed to me like it was working as expected and it would take approx 500g downward force before the print head begins moving upwards, so not likely that the pressure from the filament pushing out the nozzle is causing the head to lift...
I also used a dial indicator in a similar test to see whether the head was actually moving as the bed was brought up in the same .005mm increments. I saw similar results on the scale and the stealthburner head was not lifting until I got close to 500g downward pressure and the TAP broke loose.

Second issue I'm seeing (maybe related?) - when I print the FilamentCard test print I'm getting a strange 'lifting' of the back-right corner:

trident7.jpgtrident8.jpg

This is consistent across two spools of filament and I've not seen similar artifacts on other test prints:

trident10.jpg

Leading me to assume it has something to do with the way the test card is beveled on that back edge.
BTW, this is the bottom of the test cube:

trident11.jpg

Note how it's wavy and uneven for the first few layers, then seems to settle down and print smoothly for the remaining layers.

I'm out of ideas on what to try for these problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi, unfortunately none of your pictures embedded. Can you maybe upload those to Imgur for example (no need to register) and link to them as a workaround, if you do not manage to upload/embed those?

Hi, unfortunately none of your pictures embedded. Can you maybe upload those to Imgur for example (no need to register) and link to them as a workaround, if you do not manage to upload/embed those?
I think they're there now... Originally they were links to imgur, but I tried them as image uploads this time. Thx.

I'll throw out the obvious question first: have you cleaned your bed? If the parts are lifting maybe a good clean is needed.

I'll throw out the obvious question first: have you cleaned your bed? If the parts are lifting maybe a good clean is needed.
Even obvious suggestions are appreciated! But I did give the build surface a good cleaning after my first attempts and haven't found any improvement.
The build surface is an early Fysetc textured PEI steel flex-plate from the original hypercube. It has provided years and years of great service (including printing all the ABS parts for my V2.4) and still seems to be in "almost new" condition.

I didn't mention in the first post that I'm also running KAMP Adaptive Meshing and the total variance I'm seeing across these small test prints is on the order of 0.05mm. So I don't feel like the bed is the issue... but who knows...

Going back to the Hypercube experience - when I've seen similar first layer issues in the past I usually attributed them poor bed leveling, but more recently it had seemed to be more of an issue with under extrusion of filament which I tracked down to slipping of the filament in the extruder (it was a Creality style bowden extruder setup). I also determined that my E3D Clone hotend was only able to extrude about 8 cubic-mm/s before bogging down. Since I'm reusing that hotend (with a 24V heater cartridge) I've got my slicer setup with a max 8mm3/s extrusion rate. I have not tested max extrusion rate with the Trident setup yet though - maybe I'll do a quick test of that to see whether maybe I'm getting some slippage in the Clockwork2 extruder...

[Update] I did run an extruder capacity test and I can get consistent extrudes at 8mm3/s and below at temps from 200C to 240C (PLA still). The volume also seemed good up to 10mm3/s, but I would hear the occasional 'pop' which I believe was the extruder skipping - so I will stick to 8mm3/s max flow rate for now. [/Update]

I have considered upgrading to the Phaetus Dragon hotend (like I'm using in the V2.4) but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet - mostly because the whole point of building this trident was to repurpose the parts from the hypercube...

Last edited:
Excessive extrusion may cause lifting on the wall. Increase the extrusion volume for the first layer. decrease for other layers.

Excessive extrusion may cause lifting on the wall. Increase the extrusion volume for the first layer. decrease for other layers.
Thanks for that suggestion.
I did manage to get the first layer issue resolved by increasing extrusion on the first layer. The lifting wall also eventually went away, but I didn't do anything specific to address it (?)...
I switched over to ASA filament and it was printing well... until I got heat creep in the hot end causing the filament to jam up above the heat break. I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered a dragon hot end to replace the V6 clone I was trying to reuse. The new hot end hasn't arrive yet.

Filament manufacturers do not produce full circular filaments. Filaments are generally ellipsoidal in shape. Two laser measuring devices measure the filament from two directions. If the filament cross section volume is low, the winder is slowed down, and if the filament volume is large, the winder is accelerated. Meanwhile, the filament volume coming from behind and around 15 meters in the cooling chamber is incorrect. These incorrectly printed filaments cause this type of problems during printing. For the solution, it is necessary to integrate a system that performs bi-directional diameter measurement and increase the extruder motor speed multiplier if the volume is small, and decrease the motor speed multiplier if the volume is large. Your printer does not have this type of system, printing will be disrupted when faulty filaments come across.

Hello,
I observed similar plastic distortions during high accelerations or when magnets cannot hold the print head. In such cases, when there is a rapid change in direction, the head lifts off the rail, resulting in this defect.

Hello,
I observed similar plastic distortions during high accelerations or when magnets cannot hold the print head. In such cases, when there is a rapid change in direction, the head lifts off the rail, resulting in this defect.
I was suspecting that the Chaotic Labs TAP was allowing the print head to lift as it was printing. To try to prove (or disprove) this I setup a bracket that attached to the X-endstop switch mounting holes on the 'fixed' portion of the CL tap. This bracket then reached behind and over the entire print head so I could mount a dial indicator with the probe resting on the top (movable portion) of the head. I wanted to be able to measure exactly how much up/down motion of the print head I was getting during actual printing... The setup wasn't rigid enough to get any useful data when the head was accelerating, but when printing at a constant velocity I could easily see that I wasn't getting any measurable motion.

I also did some testing with the same setup (dial indicator on the top of the print head) while pushing the nozzle down onto a scale. I found that for every .005mm I raised the bed, pressure against the scale rose about 7g without any discernable upward motion of the print head. This held pretty consistent up to about 500g of pressure at which point the head began lifting. I think this is pretty consistent with the "real" TAP expectations (I say that because I've read the bed needs to be stable with up to about 600g of downward force applied for TAP to work consistently). So I feel like the CL tap has been cleared as a source of the weirdness I was seeing.

My new hot end has arrived, but I haven't yet put it in this printer.