What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

cura issues with Tap, Prusa works fine

RangerB

I would like to use Cura 5.3.0 since I have to for my other printer. I added Tap and Prusa works great with it, heats up bed and nozle to 150 then taps and after continues with the print.
Cura heats up the nozzle to print temp and trys to melt the bed. Anyone have a clue what I may need to change so cura listens to it?

Thanks for any help you can give

Apparently Cura will first set bed and nozzle temp, then run the "Start G-code".

But if you add these Cura varables anywhere in the "Start G-code" settings then Cura won't set the temperatures:
  • {material_bed_temperature_layer_0}
  • {material_print_temperature_layer_0}

Instead you have to set the temperaturs yourself, with gcode.
I have this in my "Start G-code":
Code:
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}   ;Set bed temp and wait until reached before proceeding
PRINT_START
M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Set extruder temp and wait until reached before proceeding

In my PRINT_START macro I set nozzle temp to 150C, home, probe, quad gantry level, load mesh and such.
Then, after PRINT_START has finished, correct nozzle temp is set from the "Start G-code" by the "M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}" command

More info here: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/controlling_slicer_g-code_order.html

edit: Oops. Spotted excess characters in the "But if you add these..." section above. Happens when you copy and paste without looking. Replaced "S{material...." with "{material....". This is old by now, but I thought I'd better make the correction anyway.

Last edited:
Apparently Cura will first set bed and nozzle temp, then run the "Start G-code".

But if you add these Cura varables anywhere in the "Start G-code" settings then Cura won't set the temperatures:
  • S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}
  • S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

Instead you have to set the temperaturs yourself, with gcode.
I have this in my "Start G-code":
Code:
M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}   ;Set bed temp and wait until reached before proceeding
PRINT_START
M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ;Set extruder temp and wait until reached before proceeding

In my PRINT_START macro I set nozzle temp to 150C, home, probe, quad gantry level, load mesh and such.
Then, after PRINT_START has finished, correct nozzle temp is set from the "Start G-code" by the "M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}" command

More info here: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/controlling_slicer_g-code_order.html
Thanks I will give this a try in the morning.

Nice putting the code in Cura worked. Thanks
I noticed I dont have a seperate start_config.cfg file I believe its is built into the printer.cfg. Should I break that stuff out? or does it not really matter. I did make a seperate one out for purge.cfg.

I dont have a seperate start_config.cfg file I believe its is built into the printer.cfg.
If printer.cfg was created from a template there's probably a "[gcode_macro PRINT_START]" section.
That's the PRINT_START macro.

Should I break that stuff out? or does it not really matter
It doesn't really matter.
And the name of the start macro doesn't have to be PRINT_START, but if you change it you have to adjust the "Start G-code" content in Cura accordingly.

I have moved almost everything in printer.cfg to separate files, just because I could.
But it didn't really make me happier, so I'll probably move it all back to printer.cfg again some day. :)

Example, this is my entire printer.cfg except for some more auto-generated stuff below the "SAVE_CONFIG..." line:
Code:
#***** Main klipper config
[include mainsail.cfg]
[include printer_main.cfg]
[include printer_macro.cfg]

#*# <---------------------- SAVE_CONFIG ---------------------->
#*# DO NOT EDIT THIS BLOCK OR BELOW. The contents are auto-generated.
#*#
#*# [probe]
#*# z_offset = -1.540

I have separated a lot of my files from the Printer.cfg as well, because I tinker a lot and it just helps when going through the configs all the time.
Defiantly not needed, but helpful.