What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Do i need a raspberry pi for voron 2.4?

Andidas

I am going to build a Voron 2.4.
It's my first really self build printer.

I purchased the Fysetc 2.4 R2 Kit and it needs some time to arrive from china. Meanwhile I am printing and buying some parts.

I have already 2 printers (Ender 3 S1 Pro and Ender 5) with Klipper. My Klipper is on my Server with some other stuff. I have more than enough headroom for another printer.

Everywhere I am reading that a raspberry pi is needed, but I am reading that it's only needed for klipper.

You need a computer running Linux in order to install the server part of Klipper and run your printer. Typically that is done with a SBC such as the Raspberry Pi, but you can use whatever solution you want that works. I've heard of people running Klipper on a Docker container on their home servers.

My first project with Klipper will be to run it on my Ender 3 Pro. I have an HP520 thin client PC that has a dual core AMD processor @ 1.2ghz, 4gb ram, and a 128gb SSD. It's now running Debian 13 (testing) and has klipper installed on it. I still have to compile an image for the Ender 3 firmware, and then to set up the needed config files. The HP520 has 4 USB2.0, and 2 USB3.0 ports. One of the USB3.0 ports has a WiFi dongle, the other one has an SD card reader. I will plug the Ender 3 MB into one of the USB2.0 ports, and a RPi Pico into another one. The Pico will be a second MCU connected to two AXL345's, one on the bed, and the other on the tool head. Once I get Klipper running, I'll think about a Switchwire conversion. I don't see why this thin client wouldn't work on a 2.4 other than it might not fit into the printer, and have to be external.

You need a computer running Linux in order to install the server part of Klipper and run your printer. Typically that is done with a SBC such as the Raspberry Pi, but you can use whatever solution you want that works. I've heard of people running Klipper on a Docker container on their home servers.
I am already running Klipper in a Docker container on my server.

So I just need to connect the controller board to my server and flash it like my other printers?