What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Documentation on dual color set up via Y splitter on a switchwire

yw5aj

Printer Model
Switchwire
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi all! I noticed that both Steve and Nero have a dual color set up for their SW with two M4 and a Y splitter. Could anyone kindly share a pointer in any kind of guidance or documentation, if such exists?

Caveat: I don't have one, but I looked at it for about 5 seconds my Trident.

I know the STLs for the Y splitter are in the Switchwire package. IIRC, it is the only Voron part that needs .12 layer height. It uses a CW1 mount, so you may need to reprint some X carriage parts, unless there is a mod out there that uses the CW2 mount.

As far as making Klipper work, I do not have any idea on where you can find documentation. I think I'd look at the preflight docs on the Voron website first, and then look at Nero's first Switchwire build series where he did the config on camera.

Caveat: I don't have one, but I looked at it for about 5 seconds my Trident.

I know the STLs for the Y splitter are in the Switchwire package. IIRC, it is the only Voron part that needs .12 layer height. It uses a CW1 mount, so you may need to reprint some X carriage parts, unless there is a mod out there that uses the CW2 mount.

As far as making Klipper work, I do not have any idea on where you can find documentation. I think I'd look at the preflight docs on the Voron website first, and then look at Nero's first Switchwire build series where he did the config on camera.
Thank you @brendanm720 ! Sorry for getting back to you late. I thought I would get an email notification whenever someone replies so I did not monitor this thread actively.

The information you provided is extremely helpful! I appreciate the help. I don't mind switching back to CW1 mount as I have quite a few spare CW1/AB printed parts left over anyway :) And I didn't notice that it should be printed with 0.12 mm layer height at all - thanks for pointing that out! Following Nero's stream is also a good idea.

One thing - I didn't noticed that the Y splitter STLs are in the SW package. Would you mind sharing a pointer? I looked at https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-Switchwire/tree/voron-switchwire-1.0/ and https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-Switchwire/tree/switchwire_afterburner/STL/Gantry/XZ_Axis as well as the master branch but I couldn't find anything.

Good, question and is interesting that it came up now, for me at least. I'm just starting the sourcing for a Switchwire and wanted to do this also. I'll be researching this setup and config and will update with anything I find. I'd appreciate you replying with what you've found also. Another source of information may be Steve's or Nero's Discord channels along with the official Voron Switchwire Discord Channel.

Edit/Update: (Hardware)
Found this under the Afterburner Github repository: https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-Afterburner/tree/afterburner/STLs/Bowden
BTW: you can use the double bowden feed on stealthburner, at least you should be able too.

There is also a a Stealthburner MOD on Printables for a Phaetus TAICHI hot end that you may be interested in.
https://www.printables.com/model/436830-voron-stealthburner-taichi-bowden-assembly

Edit/Update: (Klipper)
For Klipper you will have an extruder and extruder1 configuration in the printer.cfg file. The configs will match what is needed as if each one is an individual extruder. Nero starts covering this in his video starting at about 18 minutes in.

NERO3DP's video on the configuration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6C9ptTeeyw&list=WL&index=13&t=2241s

Extruder config expert from the video

[extruder]
max_extrude_cross_section: 50 #Must have this line for multiple extruders
max_extrude_only_distance: 150
step_pin: P0.1
dir_pin: !P0.0
enable_pin: !P0.10
step_distance: 0.0018018
nozzle_diameter: 0.400
filament_diameter: 1.75
heater_pin: P2.7
pressure_advance: 0.74
pressure_advance_smooth_time: 0.040
#sensor_type: EPCO5 100k B57560G104F
#sensro_type: ATC Semitec 104GT-2
sensor_type: NTC 100k beta 3950
sensor_pin: P0.24
#control: pid
#tuned for stock hardware with 200 degree Celsius target
#pid_kp = 21.527
#pid_ki = 1.063
#pid_kd = 108.982
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 270

# Macro Needed for Slicer
[gcode_macro T0]
gcode:
ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder

[extruder1]
max_extrude_cross_section: 50 #Must have this line for multiple extruders
max_extrude_only_distance: 100
step_pin: P2.13
dir_pin: !P0.11
enable_pin: !P2.12
step_distance: 0.0018018
nozzle_diameter: 0.400
filament_diameter: 1.75
heater_pin: P2.7
pressure_advance: 0.74
pressure_advance_smooth_time: 0.040
shared_heater: extruder
#sensor_type: EPCO5 100k B57560G104F
#sensro_type: ATC Semitec 104GT-2
sensor_type: NTC 100k beta 3950
sensor_pin: P0.24
#control: pid
#tuned for stock hardware with 200 degree Celsius target
#pid_kp = 21.527
#pid_ki = 1.063
#pid_kd = 108.982
min_temp: 0
max_temp: 270

# Macro Needed for Slicer
[gcode_macro T1]
gcode:
ACTIVATE_EXTRUDER EXTRUDER=extruder1

[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: P1.8
microsteps: 16
interpolate: true
run_current: 0.5
hold_current: 0.4
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 0

[tmc2209 extruder1]
uart_pin: P1.1
microsteps: 16
interpolate: true
run_current: 0.5
hold_current: 0.4
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 0

As far as the slicer you will need to configure the slicer so that it knows the printer has two extruders and one hotend. The slicer will need to be configured for a purge tower also. This is all dependent upon your slicer. Nero covers the Prusa Slicer config pretty well on this in his video.

Hope this helps answer your questions. It's been an interesting couple of days of discovery for me and in the end I learned a few things and connected a few dots.

Last edited:
I'm building an "Enderwire", and plan on doing a dual color/material mod on it. I bought a Taichi extruder, and I found a user mod for this hot end to work with the Stealthburner. I've printed the parts for this and have started to assemble it. I will use a pair of M4 extruders, which is what I think Steve Builds did. As I have an SKR Mini E3 controller board, I will need to add a second MPU to drive the extra extruder. I plan to bread board one using either a Rpi-Pico or an Adafruit Itsy Bitsy RP2040 with a single TMC2209.

Will be using a Mellow-Fly CAN toolhead board to drive one of the extruders. Kills two birds with one stone, cleans up toolhead wiring, and gets me the second extruder motor driver. Also adds X axis accelerometer.