What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Voron 2.4 300mm Belt moves up on B Drive Corner

GinnoX

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 300mm
Extruder Type
Clockwork 1
Cooling Type
Afterburner
Hello,

i am new to the Voron Community, i was already at the discord and got some help there, thanks for that.
Now i am progressing further with my first Voron that i Build, and so far i was able to fully Assembly the machine this weekend.

I spend a really long time, to configure anything, and get it to run.
Now the machine does print, but the motors are extremly loud (but not all the time just in certain moves / configurations)
I changed the power settings in different settings from the motors, i set the microsteps from 16 / 32 / 64 / 128 (no real difference in my opinion)
I Even tried StealthChop it's a bit quiter then SpreadCycle, but i would prefer to use SpreadCycle i am not sure if my Ordered motors are bad (Steppersonline) so i ordered some LDO Motors.

But now to my actual issue (maybe the motor and this issue stick together :p ), i think i need help as i can not find what causes this.

Yesterday as i was first trying to print something, i noticed that in certain moves the printer does, i hear a really loud noise (sounds like step skipping).
So i tried to figure out, what the issue is and as i was letting the machine print, i watched the belts, and i noticed that the Belt on the B Drive moves up.
i Even could see, that the Belt is getting this high on the back frame, that it scratches on the B Drive printed housing.

This only seems to appear, if the printer head moves near to the front of the print bed (X 300 Y 10).
And if the printer does a quick "home move" from that location in the front right Corner.

Has anyone an idea what could cause this? currently i am at work, and i do not have the pictures i made from the issue on hand, i will post them later and i even will try to get a Video, to better explain my issue.
As i want finally to get my Voron finished to get out some parts, as my other printer is currently unable to print (waiting for some replacement parts).
If you look at the attached picture ( i screenshotted that from the build manual) where the "Red Squere" is, is my issue located as on this end the belt moves up and down (over the bearing)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-13 um 11.22.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-13 um 11.22.01.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I had a similar issue and installed the RAMALA idlers and it fixed my belts moving.

thank you for the feedback, well then i will try to print them and hope that this will resolve my issue :)

i will write an Update to tell if it's fixed or not.

Finally i was able to put anything together with the RAMALA idlers (needed to wait for a rod with that i could make the needed 5 x 18 pins).
Now the Belts are Running fine, even if i already had the first set that i needed to replace, as they where already damaged that hard, that it still would cause this issue.

So Problem solved, by just changing the Idlers (and replacing the broken belts).

And the Motor change to the LDO from the Stepper Online, solved my other Problem.

So Again thank you NoGuru for pointing out that i could solve that with the RAMALA Idlers, that was a pretty easy fix :)

Finally i was able to put anything together with the RAMALA idlers (needed to wait for a rod with that i could make the needed 5 x 18 pins).
Now the Belts are Running fine, even if i already had the first set that i needed to replace, as they where already damaged that hard, that it still would cause this issue.

So Problem solved, by just changing the Idlers (and replacing the broken belts).

And the Motor change to the LDO from the Stepper Online, solved my other Problem.

So Again thank you NoGuru for pointing out that i could solve that with the RAMALA Idlers, that was a pretty easy fix :)
I just want to point out that the stock idlers work perfectly fine as well. You can also adjust them as to make sure the belt is not sent high or low to the back bearings on the a and b drives. By loosening the big m5 bolt and slightly turning the tensioner by hand then applying a slight amount of torque back to the m5 bolt.
I just want to make sure people are aware that the rama idlers are a mod and with a stock machine you have a very capable machine at your fingertips. That being said, the Rama idlers are very nice and I have them on several of my machines as well. Glad you got it working good! Any update on the motors?

I just want to point out that the stock idlers work perfectly fine as well. You can also adjust them as to make sure the belt is not sent high or low to the back bearings on the a and b drives. By loosening the big m5 bolt and slightly turning the tensioner by hand then applying a slight amount of torque back to the m5 bolt.
I just want to make sure people are aware that the rama idlers are a mod and with a stock machine you have a very capable machine at your fingertips. That being said, the Rama idlers are very nice and I have them on several of my machines as well. Glad you got it working good! Any update on the motors?

Hello,

Thank you for your Clarifycation, i am pretty sure the Original Idlers do work (as you can see on Many Videos on Youtube with Voron's) but i was not able to fix it (already tried to fiddle around withit for 3 days before i opened this Post). Maybe my print Quality of the part was not good enough or somthing other prevented me from using the Stock Idlers.

As i still wait for an LDO Voron 2.4 Kit (for my work) i have another build in the next weeks, where i will use the Stock Idlers from the Voron 2.4 to try if i get them to work there without issues.
what where the original steppers?

I had issues with "Stepperonline 17HS19-2004S1" i replaced them with LDO, and since then i have no issues, as i can not send the Stepperonline Steppers back, i will try to use them in my next Rebuild of my first 3D Printer, to see if they work there or if i had really bad luck with the motors.

Can you say more? This sentence confuses me.
I think this means that you should loosen the M5 screw, then tighten or loosen the Idler a little and then tighten it again carefully. (Please correct me if i am Wrong).

best Regards
GinnoX

Last edited:
My personal experience is that super overtightening the belts causes the belts to be damaged in a way that prevents them from running true. Gates recommends 6 pounds of tension on gt2 belts... I had problems on my v0 belts "craweling out of the pulleys". Reducing the tension and replacing the belts has aleviated the issue for me.