What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

extruder amps settings

3dCase

I just had a failing extruder driver and I looked up the motor kit from stepper online is:
  • 1 x Nema 17 Bipolar 1.8deg 16Ncm(22.6oz.in) 1A 3.7V 42x42x20mm 4 Wires 17HS08-1004S
  • 6 x Nema 17 Bipolar 59Ncm(84oz.in) 2A 42x48mm 4 Wires w/ 1m Cable & Connector 17HS19-2004S1
So in the cfg the extruder is set to power max = 1
run current = 0.57
hold current = 0.4
Does this look ok to you guys?

Last edited:
I just had a failing extruder driver and I looked up the motor kit from stepper online is:
  • 1 x Nema 17 Bipolar 1.8deg 16Ncm(22.6oz.in) 1A 3.7V 42x42x20mm 4 Wires 17HS08-1004S
  • 6 x Nema 17 Bipolar 59Ncm(84oz.in) 2A 42x48mm 4 Wires w/ 1m Cable & Connector 17HS19-2004S1
So in the cfg the extruder is set to power max = 1
run current = 0.57
hold current = 0.4
Does this look ok to you guys?
Got an answer on the Klipper forum and I learnt that hold current is no longer used and run current for this motor could safely be set at 0.7 amps.
The max power = 1 refers to the fan, which could have been laid out clearer but I suppose once you know you know.
Replaced the driver and ran through the tuning from Ellis. Things are starting to look a lot better now and my clicking from the extruder has gone!

Even though hold current is not really used any longer its not a bad thing and was used for years. It may have contributed but not the reason the driver failed.

Even though hold current is not really used any longer its not a bad thing and was used for years. It may have contributed but not the reason the driver failed.
I read somewhere that it sometimes wreaked havoc when the hold current was used. Not sure how or what they even meant but nowadays it still holds, but at the run current, Or so I believe.
I can imagine the constantly changing load would not do the driver any good, but maybe that is simply a gut feeling that has no validity. I do notice some movements the motors make a singing noise, ever so slightly but noticeable. Never louder then the fans so not at all worried about that.