What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Extruder Temp Spikes.

NewEdge

Printer Model
Voron Trident
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hey guys I just finished my Trident 2 days ago and its been printing fine but all of a sudden I have been experiencing a "spike" in temp on the extruder. The temp doesnt actually reach 600c but it will be randomly spike to that temp with the thermistor then I will receive an error. My hotend is a Rapido HF, and i have made sure there is no broken wire. I moved this hotend to my 2.4 that is also running a Rapido with no issue of spiking. So at this point im a little lost on what to look for next, Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Perhaps it is a faulty thermistor in your Trident. That would support why you don't see the issue when you move your hot end to the 2.4.

I had a opposite problem on my 2.4 where the hot end temp would spike low and cause an error. The filament being extruded looked fine -- it would have not extruded properly at the temps being reported. So I replaced the thermistor and now all is well.

I concur that it's likely a bad thermistor. If you can maybe try swapping thermistors between the Trident and 2.4 & see if the problem follows it.

Sorry i worded that weird. What I meant to say was I moved the entire hotend from the trident to the 2.4 and didnt get the error after moving it. It only happens on the trident.

Then that points to a wiring issue in the Trident harness. It may be something as subtle as a pin getting pushed out of the connector body slightly.

Yeah ive been looking, cant find anything. I have a spare toolhead pcb board that ill switch out and see. I had one go bad after 3 months before.

I figured it out. The JST connector was cracked on the thermistor to the toolhead PCB. It wasnt allowing the pins to fully engage on the pcb. Thanks for suggestions fellas!

I figured it out. The JST connector was cracked on the thermistor to the toolhead PCB. It wasnt allowing the pins to fully engage on the pcb. Thanks for suggestions fellas!
I had the toolhead PCB go out on my new 2.4 build a month ago. It would power up and print fine, then all of the sudden, the part cooling fan would turn on when and stay on constantly. I ended up taking it apart and noticed the wiring on the fan looked almost fried (prewired fan) and it must have done something to the PCB. Replaced the fan and PCB and back to normal. Needless to say, I check and test all new fans after that haha. Glad you got it fixed.

I had the toolhead PCB go out on my new 2.4 build a month ago. It would power up and print fine, then all of the sudden, the part cooling fan would turn on when and stay on constantly. I ended up taking it apart and noticed the wiring on the fan looked almost fried (prewired fan) and it must have done something to the PCB. Replaced the fan and PCB and back to normal. Needless to say, I check and test all new fans after that haha. Glad you got it fixed.
Yeah, i had one go out on me. One of the im assuming resistors on the pcb took a dump because everything was fine minus the Hotend Thermistor. All the contiunity was there between all the jst female connector and the 14 pin header. It the didnt allow the printer to boot up. Swapped it out and all was good. I know there is always the chance of a bad component so i wasnt too worried about it.

Yeah, i had one go out on me. One of the im assuming resistors on the pcb took a dump because everything was fine minus the Hotend Thermistor. All the contiunity was there between all the jst female connector and the 14 pin header. It the didnt allow the printer to boot up. Swapped it out and all was good. I know there is always the chance of a bad component so i wasnt too worried about it.
Glad you got it figured out!