What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

How do you backup your RPi SD card?

DrGary

I bought a new SD Card, created my Raspian OS, and set up my Voron 2.4. After configuring, modifying, and tuning it for a while, I realized that I have better back up the RPi SD card and confirm that the backup was valid. But I ran into a problem: the SD card I used is 128G and I haven't found a backup and compression process that works for it. Previously, I didn't compress the backups: With an 8G or 16G card, they're small enough to keep a few on my hard drive. But now I'm not finding a method that works, whether compressed or not.

How do you back up your RPi OS SD card?

I'm on a Mac, so have used methods involving `dd` for copying and `gzip` for compression. To create a new SD Card, in the past I've used use the `Raspberry Pi Imager`. But now, while creating the backup with `dd` appears to work, creating the new copy always fails in `Raspberry Pi Imager` with an unilluminating "Write failed", even after trying several new SD cards.

How do you make a new SD card with a copy of the original SD card?

Using `dd` and `gzip` is pretty technical. I'm surprised that I didn't find a simpler application or script to do backups and copies easily. That's another reason I'm asking here...

I imagine backing up large SD cards will become more of an issue going forward. It seems like 8G or 16G SD cards are plenty for a Voron printer. But they're becoming harder to find as SD cards evolve to larger sizes.

Personally, I don't think it's worth actually backing up the whole card in a lot of cases. For most printers, the only real customizations are a handful of config files. Back those up, and just install a fresh MainsailOS/FluiddPi/whatever image if your sdcard fails

I host my own gitlab instance and keep configs for all my printers in their own repo. I don’t see the need to backup the whole SD card, when only a fraction of that space is actually useful (configs). Same thing goes for slicer profiles, it is a lot easier to keep them in sync across multiple computers.

Thanks, @garrettwp, for that recommendation. I set it up and it looks like it will be a go-to solution going forward for quick, backups to the cloud (specifically, GitHub).

Advantages of backing up to GitHub:
  • Fast
  • One-click
  • Can operate on live machine. No need to shut down to freeze the OS during backups.
  • No need to shut down the machine and remove the SD card.
Disadvantages:
  • May be complex for people not familiar with Git repositories and commands.
  • Incomplete: It only backs up the main printer configs in `~/klipper_config`, `~/mainsail`, etc.
  • For restores, requires setting up the machine and main software independent of the backed-up configs.
  • Incomplete: For example, I have to remember to re-set-up the G-Code Shell Command extension for Klipper before the script will work again.
  • Restoring requires knowing how to use git to reinstall the backed-up repo.

Still, I'm thinking it would still be great to have a clone card backup. That would allow simply copying the complete back up to a new SD card, inserting it into the machine and rebooting to instantly return to your backed-up state. So I'll look into @GadgetAngel's suggestion of `rpi-clone`. You run that from the live printer RPI? So I just need an SD card reader with a USB cable. Sounds simple enough.

Last edited: