What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Issue with Klicky and Homing

AndrewJ

Printer Model
Voron 2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hopefully it's ok to post in this forum....

I have installed and configured Klicky to my 2.4. I can attach/dock/QGL/Calibrate_Z successfully with no issues. However, I do have an issue with Homing. Klicky provides a Homing Override implementation in its Macros and I'm not sure it's working properly so I'm interested in seeing if this is a problem with my setup or not.

What is happening that when a full home is initiated, where no axis has been homed previously, then "Homing Override" is setting a Kinematic Position to X=Y=Z=0, irrespective of the toolhead's actual position. Normally, this isn't an issue except when the toolhead is already at a high Z position, e.g. Z=250. After redefining that position as Z=0, it then wants to set a Safe_Z = 25 and thus try and raise the toolhead to an actual Z=275. This obviously causes the toolhead to crash into something - I couldn't tell what, I was too busy panicking trying to find the emergency stop button and I don't want to try that again!

I guess, generally, it wouldn't be an issue as long as the toolhead was at a height < max_z - safe_z (250 - 25 in my case) but if the printer does lose axes' homes at that high Z, the only thing I can think of to resolve it is to (a) remember it is going to happen; and (b) turn off steppers and manually lower the gantry before homing.

Here's the relevant bit of code from Klicky Macros:

Code:
    #On the first G28 after motors losing power, moves the Z to safe_z distance, if z_hop is enabled
    {% if 'x' not in printer.toolhead.homed_axes and 'y' not in printer.toolhead.homed_axes and 'z' not in printer.toolhead.homed_axes%}
        {% if verbose %}
            { action_respond_info("No axis homed") }
        {% endif %}
        _KlickyDebug msg="homing_override no axis homed, setting position as X=Y=0 Z={kinematic_z}"
        SET_KINEMATIC_POSITION X=0 Y=0 Z={kinematic_z}
        M400
        _KlickyDebug msg="homing_override moving toolhead to {safe_z}mm from {printer.gcode_move.gcode_position.z}mm"
        {% if verbose %}
            { action_respond_info("moving to a safe Z distance") }
        {% endif %}
        G0 Z{safe_z} F{z_drop_feedrate}

Now, according to the comment this runs because Z_Hop is enabled in Klicky_Variables as per instructions in the Klicky GitHub:
Code:
variable_safe_z:                 25    # Minimum Z for attach/dock and homing functions
# if true it will move the bed away from the nozzle when Z is not homed
variable_enable_z_hop:          CHECK_COMMENT  # True on the v2.4, False on v1.8, Trident and Legacy

BUT, I can't see anything in the code that checks whether Z_Hop is enabled or not. In any case on a 2.4 it should be True. I set toolhead position to the middle of the bed, reset Klipper then ran a home all with debug on and this is the console output:
Code:
15:50 _klicky_status_ready activating the LED STATUS_READY
15:50 probe: TRIGGERED
15:50 _Home_Z_ toolhead too low, raising it to 25.0mm from 25.0mm
15:50 _Home_Z_ Homing Z G28 Z
15:50 _Home_Z_ moving to Z endstop position G0 X205 Y305 F12000
15:50 _Home_Z_ XY Axis homed
15:50 Dock_Probe probe already docked, doing nothing
15:50 Probe already docked
15:50 homing_override backing off Y endstop, G0 Y295.0 F12000
15:50 homing_override Homing Y, G28 Y0
15:50 homing_override backing off X endstop, G0 X287.0 F12000
15:50 homing_override Homing X, G28 X0
15:50 homing_override moving toolhead to 25mm from 0.0mm
15:50 homing_override no axis homed, setting position as X=Y=0 Z=0
15:50 _klicky_status_homing activating the LED STATUS_HOMING
15:50 homing_override goint to home all axes
15:50 Homing Z
15:50 Homing Y
15:50 Homing X
15:50 X or Y not homed, forcing full G28
15:50 moving to a safe Z distance
15:50 No axis homed
15:50 G28
15:49 Klipper state: Disconnect
15:49 RESTART
15:49 G1 Z100 F1500
15:49 G1 Y150 F6000
15:49 G1 X150 F6000
You can see what is happening at lines 14 and 13.

Any ideas? Is this just me or does it look like a problem? Is there some other configuration I may have missed - it's a new build so I may have missed something else.