What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Just tooling around waiting for the LDO kit to ship

Just_brad

I placed a back order for an LDO Voron 2.4 ( super sized) kit from Matter Hackers a
few weeks ago...so I have been getting some of my ducks lined up making sure I have
the right "stuff" close at had before the fun day. I am not sure when the h/w will
ship - but my credit card is getting a workout while I wait.

The primary use of the printer will be for materials other than PLA/PETG. I have that
covered with other hardware. Also, the driving force of this printer was something with
a larger print bed. The second big role will be printing replacement / upgrade parts for
this printer.

So I ma checking my notes - looking at things that need to be upgraded just because.

I have a good Raspberry PI setup along with some STL for possible mount locations. I am going
with a 4 gig version because I have one of those sitting on my shelf from a older project.

I just received the Chaoticlab CNC Voron Tap to help with first layer calibration.

I found a spot with good build / work table for assembly and operations of the printer.

I am now looking hard at a wire reduction via CAM BUS or the hybrid USB+power lines for
an umbilical setup.

So have I missed anything that I should at least look at?

I am spoiled on my magnetic plate setup for my Prusa, so any recommendations for
plates for PLA/PETG/ASA, etc that are tuned to the individual materials....

My first discovery trying to use a RP #5 configured for the printer is that the spin that supports klipper / mainsail (1.3.2) accessed from the Pi imager s/w - has no support for PI 5.

From github -about using the RP 5 with this software:
Thanks for your request. We are working on it!

Unfortunately, the webcam area will be tricky with the rpi5, as it has no HW encoder. This means that only software rendering is possible, and currently, only ustreamer with MJPEG will work on it. WebRTC is presently not possible with the rpi5.

So you can hack the software to let you run on it - and that might even be worth while - assuming you don't need the camera. With so many RP 4 in the wild, getting a 4 gig version is a snap of your fingers. Many of the LDO kits and others have restored the option to get the RP 4, 1 gig version. (but I want more :) ) when ordered.

I have not checked into the compatibility outside of OctoPrint using the latest generation of the Pi Camera. So, I will have to look into that issue, if it is an issue later.

Prepping for your kit is a great idea but I would not stray too far from the stock build. You may find your self stuck in a hole with unforeseen issues.
CANBUS for example is not that complicated but I see sooooo many people having issues with setting it up.

CANBUS for example is not that complicated but I see sooooo many people having issues with setting it up.

I do think if I was doing a new build, I would skip straight to the LDO Nitehawk (USB instead of CANBUS) on an umbilical.

I say that because it was surprising how much time it took to route the pre-terminated cables through the snap-side cable chains, as well as how tight the tolerances were at the transitions. You need some slack so that the wires don't bind, but if you leave any appreciable extra, they snag other parts when printing or homing at the edges of the bed, so I had to take the chains off again to re-balance the lengths and even so had to get creative with cable ties to keep things out of harms way. None of that was difficult, but I think I could have had the umbilical in place in less time and with a better result. Also, the cable chains directly limit the available Z-height - that wonderful 350x350x350 build volume is only 350x350x310 in the default LDO config. ☹️

I do think if I was doing a new build, I would skip straight to the LDO Nitehawk (USB instead of CANBUS) on an umbilical.

I say that because it was surprising how much time it took to route the pre-terminated cables through the snap-side cable chains, as well as how tight the tolerances were at the transitions. You need some slack so that the wires don't bind, but if you leave any appreciable extra, they snag other parts when printing or homing at the edges of the bed, so I had to take the chains off again to re-balance the lengths and even so had to get creative with cable ties to keep things out of harms way. None of that was difficult, but I think I could have had the umbilical in place in less time and with a better result. Also, the cable chains directly limit the available Z-height - that wonderful 350x350x350 build volume is only 350x350x310 in the default LDO config. ☹️
I agree too, the Nitehawk is super easy to setup. I have ran I think every Canbus toolhead ever made and all have pros and cons but the Nitehawk took no time to setup and was super easy.

I think what could trip some new builders up is the cable routing and connections. While it is easy for some may trip up others unless they plan the entire upgrade.

I have had no luck finding the Nitehawk to be in stock in the US of A. The cables are drag chain rated so the biggest issues according to You - tube it ;) would be solved...Tracking down broken wires.

I have Klipper + stuff installed on my Raspberry PI - I guess I did not have to use the "larger" memory card....so little of the storage is used.

~/klipper $ df -kh
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 117G 4.9G 108G 5% /
devtmpfs 3.5G 0 3.5G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1.5G 1.3M 1.5G 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1 255M 31M 225M 13% /boot
tmpfs 764M 0 764M 0% /run/user/1000

I keep saying to myself; change hardware - capture the data, make sure it gets into the configuration file(s).

Nitehawk and Galileo2 are constantly sold out right now because they are the latest big mods.

Nitehawk and Galileo2 are constantly sold out right now because they are the latest big mods.

Am I correct that Galileo 2 is still not finalized either? So there are kits available, but they are still sort of late-stage beta testing?

I'm waiting for the "2.4r3" to land.. or the next big revision of the kits incorporating popular community mods.
We have things like the Galileo 2 extruder, the Galileo Z-drives, the Nitehawk USB toolboard, the Leviathan control board, etc. Major step changes that could really take these printers to the next level.

LDO in particular seems poised (or at least, well positioned) to do this, as they manufacture or have kits for all of those things. (y)

Am I correct that Galileo 2 is still not finalized either? So there are kits available, but they are still sort of late-stage beta testing?
Yes the github says it is in Beta but that is not really the case since it's on 1000's of machines at this point. I just got my kit yesterday and put it together, it is very nice.
It will be maybe a week or two before I use it since I am currently converting to AWD system.

I wouldn't worry about Galileo being "beta"--it's fully functional. I put one on my Trident last month and it's running great. I just got another kit for my V0 (swapping to Dragon Burner + Galileo). West3D currently has the kits in stock.

I picked up a few more hmm- kind of want that as an upgrade. On the back order for the nite hawk, picked up a spare print sheet just because all of my printers have spares.

I have not been sold on the Galileo Z-drives yet - mostly because I have done zero research on that specific upgrade. Next possible window for shipment
for the kit is in a few more days...at that time I guess I will know if my back order gets into that shipment window.

I figure once a project hits the second or 3rd run of a LDO parts kit - it is not so much in beta anymore.

I picked up a few more hmm- kind of want that as an upgrade. On the back order for the nite hawk, picked up a spare print sheet just because all of my printers have spares.

I have not been sold on the Galileo Z-drives yet - mostly because I have done zero research on that specific upgrade. Next possible window for shipment
for the kit is in a few more days...at that time I guess I will know if my back order gets into that shipment window.

I figure once a project hits the second or 3rd run of a LDO parts kit - it is not so much in beta anymore.
The Galileo Z saves some space in the Electronics area so if you are building a smaller printer is would help.

The Galileo Z saves some space in the Electronics area so if you are building a smaller printer is would help.
And when your Galileo-based Micron has served its useful life, you can take it apart and build four toolheads for your new StealthChanger / TapChanger machine! 😁

Thanks for the info - Galileo Z is not right for me right now. No word on shipping from Matter Hacker on my back ordered kit...
I should be getting the Galileo 2 kit today / tomorrow...now to figure out how to print parts for it....I re-kitted
my Prusa MK III to convert it to the MK IV. linear barrings were shot and a few other parts so the rebuild is on hold waiting for parts.

So X & Y axis will need some TLC - and if one set is shot - the other set. Now it is time for me to learn how to print ASA without an
enclosure.

So I have all of my printed parts done, well - enough to get thru most of the build.
I picked up a few must have upgrades, - received or on order - enough to get thru most of the build to 90%.
The LDO Voron 2.4 350 x 350 Panel Kit Box shipped...hmm, just panels - not enough to even start the build.
So stuck....

I have seen a few other sites have the Voron 2.4 come back into stock and run out....

I guess I will get my play time working on some other hardware....

I got to find fun some where - now off to another project I have most of the parts for. ;)
I finished my strip down of the oldest MK III I own. The upgraded power supply has been install.
I have finished plugging in the primary electronics where it needs to go. I just started the work
building the extruder. I guess I have another 4 hrs fun work left before I hit my wait on replacement parts.
Based on past experience; I should get the parts for my spare printer sometime next week.

If the Voron kit fails to ship before May 1st - I will break down and update my last MKIII to IV and
stuff the printer into a print box to work with ASA materials.

I guess I could not wait for the Voron kit to ship - so I tore down the old Mk III printer and
having my way with it. Don't ya know as soon as I was hip deep into that project I get a
notification of something is in the mail. And then it got stuck one city over for another
week....FedEx.

So right now I figure until I get that old Prusa printer refurbished I will just look at the
pretty box saying your day will come soon....

It is not like I have all the parts for the Voron, so I guess I will wait until the final back order
of parts are parts until then. I need that Prusa up and running so I can print a handful
of ASA parts for the Voron...so that is why that other printer it is taking priority for now.