What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Layer Shift x/y V2.4 (Formbot Kit)

Jqw767

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 Formbot 350 kit
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi Voroneers,

after Reddit went private in the middle of my Troubleshooting a couple of days ago I still experience severe layer shift on the x/y axis on my pretty new Formbot 350mm 2.4.

Below you can see the problem description, things I‘ve tried and a couple of pics.

Problem description:
- significant and continuous layer shift in +x and +y direction after a couple of layers
- no specific layer when it starts, can be on 2nd layer or 15th layer, but once it starts it continues to drift/skip
- skipping can be heard where the belt skips on at least one of the motors

Background Info:
- Formbot Kit, Moons steppers, TMC2209 (Run_current 1.0A, but also tried 1.1, 1.2A)
- setup worked fine for about 60h print time, problem started suddenly, always happens since

Hypothesis and trials:
1) TMC2209 voltage too low?
- current and previously used setting: 1.0A (Run_current define only), tried 1.1 and 1.2A, with 100*C buildülate Temp motors are running quite hot, heatsinks installed
- Moons rated for 2.0A max. With 2.0A x 0,707 = 1.414A would be over the max limit for TMC2209 (max 1.2A if I read correctly)
- To do: switch the TMC2209 from a z Motor to the x and y motors

2) Belt tensioning incorrect and/or Belt path incorrect
- used the spectrum analyzer, as well as carbon drive app, compared to the Nero3D YouTube guide (and sound), seems ok
- re-seated the whole belt incl. belt path, ensured smooth run -> did it the right way finally! Solved the issue!

3) Linear rail friction/lubrication:
- took apart the x rail (MGN12 as this is the only one that does not slide just by gravity, cleaned and re-lubed. Runs free, but carriage does not fall freely just by gravity
- cleaned and re-lubed y rails (MGN9)

4) Motor Wires broken?
- wires not replaced yet, but only 60h of runtime…
- bent chains/wires while doing x/y movement to provoke intermittent breaks in the wire - nothing
- marked belt/motor position, let layers skip, compared: right motor „A Motor“ as described in the Voron Manual seems to be the culprit, although the marking on the belt was basically gone for both, but the motor position was different

Any further ideas or possible root-causes? I will keep this updated in the original post up here, also when root cause is found.

Pictures:

8998BACF-6522-497D-B6C2-A6023A8EC1B1.jpeg

Last edited:
If it's moving just one direction, it means only one motor is not doing its work properly. Check the pulley on it - did you put Loctite on the grub screw?
Also check this - I know it sounds weird but quite a few people discovered this after tens of hours of printing ... https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/472450547534921729/829561967605317692/image0.jpg and https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/472450547534921729/828723641713557504/image0.png
If you consider it mechanically OK (grub screws, belt path etc.) maybe try to take a look at electronics: measure motor resistance across the coils - both A and B should be the same. You can also try swapping motor driver to another, or plug it into another motor output on MCU - don't forget to change the config. Also, power down the printer before plugging and unplugging motors and drivers.

If it's moving just one direction, it means only one motor is not doing its work properly. Check the pulley on it - did you put Loctite on the grub screw?
Also check this - I know it sounds weird but quite a few people discovered this after tens of hours of printing ... https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/472450547534921729/829561967605317692/image0.jpg and https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/472450547534921729/828723641713557504/image0.png
If you consider it mechanically OK (grub screws, belt path etc.) maybe try to take a look at electronics: measure motor resistance across the coils - both A and B should be the same. You can also try swapping motor driver to another, or plug it into another motor output on MCU - don't forget to change the config. Also, power down the printer before plugging and unplugging motors and drivers.
Great suggestions!

grub screw -> check! Tested it and re-loctited. That was not it though
belt path -> will re-re-check

Edit: ok… you kinda solved it with the pictures :)
it seems I was so arrogant when I re-belted that I actually re-belted wrong a second time! The pics you provided pushed me onto it though…
you can also clearly see the belt is a bit more worn where the routing is wrong. It shaved off some ABS, so I will reprint that part.
Also will get another set of Gates Belts for good measure…

I‘ll give it a shot printing tomorrow, but I‘m 99% certain that’s it. The whole x/y carriage is much smoother now.

AC6AE251-46AB-4F97-904A-F8B9F677DAA6.jpeg

Last edited: