What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Leadscrew backlash?

Paul B

Hi all. Building my first Voron, a Trident. I understand the reason for doing it but how does leaving the the leadscrew nut "loose" and free to rotate within the constraining slots not cause backlash in the leadscrew nut vertical movement? The measured rotational movement of the leadscrew nut in CAD is 7.4deg which would result in 0.164mm of lash on an 8mm/rotation leadscrew. I know some very smart people designed this printer so I'm sure I'm just missing something here.

On the Z axis, backlash is only a thing to consider if you do a lot of Z hops, which isn't recommended on leadscrew system anyway. So that isn't a concern to be honest.

What about bed mesh? The Z is constantly making micro-adjustments up and down which, it seems to me, could get totally "erased" if the LS nut is allowed to rotate.

It's either loose enough to move or it isn't. If it moves it can rotate, which to my mind is a potential problem. I'm looking for an explanation as to why in isn't.

The leadscrews aren't all going to be perfectly parallel (much as we'd like them to be), so with all of them firmly attached, you will get binding as the bed moved up and down. Leaving those nut mounts some room to shift frees things up. I went even further on my printer and put the WobbleX mod on it. No VFAs from leadscrews at all and I don't have any issues with z hop when I use it.

As I said in my original post, I understand the reasons behind leaving it loose but that doesn't answer the question I have asked.

I thought I answered in my first response. Leave the lock nuts just barely loose enough that it can wiggle; there's almost no vertical play. On my printer I haven't seen any issues I can attribute to excessive backlash.

OK, not sure what I'm missing. The nut won't rotate--that is locked by the rail mount and the bed frame mount. My only possible worry would have been vertical movement, and it has not been a problem. I've even added the WobbleX mod to allow for the lead screw wobbling around a bit while rotating--it did what it was intended to do and my layer stacking is better than ever.

If your mounting screws were so loose as to be frictionless, you could potentially add .16mm backlash (roughly 7 degrees of play / 360 degrees * the 8mm vertical travel per 360 degrees). We don't leave them completely loose, however, we just don't fully tighten them. Mine are tight enough that the leadscrew nut doesn't rotate in use and has a natural resting position.

OK, not sure what I'm missing. The nut won't rotate--that is locked by the rail mount and the bed frame mount. My only possible worry would have been vertical movement, and it has not been a problem. I've even added the WobbleX mod to allow for the lead screw wobbling around a bit while rotating--it did what it was intended to do and my layer stacking is better than ever.
Do you have a link to the WobbleX mod, don't seem to find it?

Looks like Fabreeko carries the parts now! I had to go to Ali & it took two vendors to get what I needed. Note that the part is for a single lead screw, so you need three for Trident.