What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Need advice on most recent V0.2 build options and upgrades

laukejas

Hi, I currently have Prusa MK3S as my primary printer, and V2.4 350x350 as my secondary. I need my primary to boot up fast, print fast, achieve great dimensional and surface finish quality and be as quiet as possible. Prusa produces great quality, but is slow and noisy as heck. I am hoping that V0.2 could take over.

On my V2.4, I went with SB, CANBUS and Rapido HF hotend, as well as many other small upgrades (quieter stepper motors, Noctua fans, UnKlicky, gel feet, etc.), and I got a fast, quiet and high-quality printer. However, it can't become my primary printer because it takes too long to boot, heat up and do all it's calibration routines. Also, V0.2 can print much, much faster.

The reason I'm asking this question is because when I built stock V2.4 and started upgrading it, I spent way too much time and money trying different stuff, often ran into dead ends and incompatibilities between upgrades before I arrived at the final working combination, and in the end I had lots of leftover parts I could have skipped if I had bought the right stuff from the start. I want to avoid making the same mistake with V0.2.
So, can someone please suggest a list of the best setup to go for right from the start with V0.2? My priorities are:
  1. High printing speed.
  2. High dimensional and surface quality.
  3. Lowering noise to a minimum.
I will be printing PLA, PETG and PC-CF, sometimes ABS.

So, more specifically, I'm asking:
  1. Which kit? Most people suggest LDO, but I heard their stepper motors are louder than motors from most other kits. I really do want to keep this printer as quiet as possible.
  2. Which toolhead? AB or mini SB?
  3. Which hotend? I'm leaning towards Revo, but I'm a bit worried if it won't be a bottleneck for speed. Then again, I will be printing PLA and PETG mostly, so the bottleneck might be elsewhere.
  4. Which extruder? Bondtech LGX, Orbiter 2, Galileo, CW2, or something else?
  5. Which fans? I want them to be as quiet as possible, but not give me any issues with heat creep, especially when printing PLA. Some say Fabreeko, some say Noctua. Can you advise?
  6. Which bed probing solution? As I understand TAP won't work on V0.2, so do I go for magnetic, Euclid, Klicky, Unklicky, or something else?
  7. Any other quality of life improvements, especially for reducing noise, increasing speed and quality?

What do you consider high speed printing?
120 - 150mm/s is quite common with the V0 but you get good acceleration values (15-20k) and this is where the time saving really comes in.
if you want to go faster you can but its not cheap as you will start to wander from the standard set up.
but from the box they print very well and with good dimensional accuracy.
motor noise depends on how you tune your stepper drivers... you can use stealthchop or TMCAuto-tune if you dont want to dive into the abyss of driver settings but they both have trade offs though so bear this in mind.

1. kit is more down to what you can afford and what you like the look of best. all the kits available now have a good spec and you cant really go wrong with any of them. LDO is the undisputed champion but has a price tag to match. others have good stuff and also not so good stuff, but if you plan your upgrades in advance (stuff you want / need) then you can choose a kit to suit your needs / budget. i spent 2 months gathering info and specs so i knew what i wanted / needed from the get go.
2. mini stealthburner (R1 version) would be a starting point, but you may want to upgrade to XOL or others that you can upgrade to. most of it is about part cooling.
3. if you plan to print fast look for a high flow hotend, Revo HF, Dragon HF, or look at the CHT nozzles to add to a SF hotend. these are some of the ones available but there are plenty of others.
4. start with the standard clockwork / MiniSB and if you run into problems you'll know what you need to change. lots of people like the new orbiter2 extruder but lots of people get good results from the standard extruder setup.
5. if you plan to print in hot chambers get Delta fans. they don't suffer from heat soak but do come with a price tag.
6. no bed probe needed here, the bed is so small and stable that its a set and forget affair.
7. get on discord and have a chat with the people on there. they are really helpful and there is plenty of juicy stuff floating about and what other people find works and doesn't work.
VORON discord channel
https://discord.gg/voron
ARMCHAIR ENGINEERING discord channel
https://discord.gg/DndQmywR

hope this answers some of your questions.

I'm currently building an LDO V0.2r1 and the kit has been excellent so far. I'll find out about the noise level on those chonky motors eventually, but the LDO motors in my Trident aren't all that loud.
The LDO kit comes with a Revo Voron and you can now get HF nozzles for them--with a license agreement with CHT, so using their setup.
I'm building with the MiniSB/standard clockwork to start with. Later I might experiment with Orbiter2 and maybe others. It seems one of the toolhead variants is set up to make swapping extruders really easy.

What do you consider high speed printing?
120 - 150mm/s is quite common with the V0 but you get good acceleration values (15-20k) and this is where the time saving really comes in.
if you want to go faster you can but its not cheap as you will start to wander from the standard set up.
but from the box they print very well and with good dimensional accuracy.
motor noise depends on how you tune your stepper drivers... you can use stealthchop or TMCAuto-tune if you dont want to dive into the abyss of driver settings but they both have trade offs though so bear this in mind.

1. kit is more down to what you can afford and what you like the look of best. all the kits available now have a good spec and you cant really go wrong with any of them. LDO is the undisputed champion but has a price tag to match. others have good stuff and also not so good stuff, but if you plan your upgrades in advance (stuff you want / need) then you can choose a kit to suit your needs / budget. i spent 2 months gathering info and specs so i knew what i wanted / needed from the get go.
2. mini stealthburner (R1 version) would be a starting point, but you may want to upgrade to XOL or others that you can upgrade to. most of it is about part cooling.
3. if you plan to print fast look for a high flow hotend, Revo HF, Dragon HF, or look at the CHT nozzles to add to a SF hotend. these are some of the ones available but there are plenty of others.
4. start with the standard clockwork / MiniSB and if you run into problems you'll know what you need to change. lots of people like the new orbiter2 extruder but lots of people get good results from the standard extruder setup.
5. if you plan to print in hot chambers get Delta fans. they don't suffer from heat soak but do come with a price tag.
6. no bed probe needed here, the bed is so small and stable that its a set and forget affair.
7. get on discord and have a chat with the people on there. they are really helpful and there is plenty of juicy stuff floating about and what other people find works and doesn't work.
VORON discord channel
https://discord.gg/voron
ARMCHAIR ENGINEERING discord channel
https://discord.gg/DndQmywR

hope this answers some of your questions.

Well, I was hoping to achieve 500-600mm/s that printers like Bambu Lab X1C boast, but then again, it would be quite pointless with such a small bed, not enough distance to accelerate to such speeds anyway... You are right, acceleration is far more important here.

Thank you for these suggestions. I will probably go with Mini SB and Revo HF for starters, as well as Delta fans.

I'm currently building an LDO V0.2r1 and the kit has been excellent so far. I'll find out about the noise level on those chonky motors eventually, but the LDO motors in my Trident aren't all that loud.
The LDO kit comes with a Revo Voron and you can now get HF nozzles for them--with a license agreement with CHT, so using their setup.
I'm building with the MiniSB/standard clockwork to start with. Later I might experiment with Orbiter2 and maybe others. It seems one of the toolhead variants is set up to make swapping extruders really easy.

May I ask where you purchased your kit from? I'm from Europe, and I'm having a hard time finding anyone selling LDO V0.2r1, and the US sellers don't seem to ship it to Europe.

Well, I was hoping to achieve 500-600mm/s that printers like Bambu Lab X1C boast, but then again, it would be quite pointless with such a small bed, not enough distance to accelerate to such speeds anyway... You are right, acceleration is far more important here.

Thank you for these suggestions. I will probably go with Mini SB and Revo HF for starters, as well as Delta fans.

May I ask where you purchased your kit from? I'm from Europe, and I'm having a hard time finding anyone selling LDO V0.2r1, and the US sellers don't seem to ship it to Europe.
Hi, here is a list of vendors selling LDO kits or parts. https://docs.ldomotors.com/en/voron/LDO_Voron_Distributors I know 3djake has those.

I got mine from Fabreeko in the US, so that won't help you out unfortunately. I'm not familiar with EU vendors, Sanity's list should be a good resource.

Building another full size printer could be more efficient in churning out parts than a v0.2. If production speed is what you're looking for rather than accels.