What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Newbie where to start self source / kit or somewhere in between?

RoyDuggan

Based in the UK and planning a Voron 2.4r2 350 Build I downloaded the BOM and sourcing guide and made a start sourcing individual parts - I'm not fundamentally adverse to a kit and haven't hit the various buy buttons on a number of websites so might change my mind and take the easier option of just going for a kit.... looking for guidance if anyone can suggest.

Do people share there BOM listings with supplier details? happy to put a link up to my spreadsheet which is a WIP just wondering If I am re-inventing the wheel to some extent and if someone would give it the once over. I am a about 1/3 into putting weblinks to all the parts only had to go to 3 sources so far (TC fixings for A2 grade Stainless , Amazon for the rest and rails from fermio labs takes me down to about line 44 of the 120 line on the BOM .....

Based in the UK and planning a Voron 2.4r2 350 Build I downloaded the BOM and sourcing guide and made a start sourcing individual parts - I'm not fundamentally adverse to a kit and haven't hit the various buy buttons on a number of websites so might change my mind and take the easier option of just going for a kit.... looking for guidance if anyone can suggest.

Do people share there BOM listings with supplier details? happy to put a link up to my spreadsheet which is a WIP just wondering If I am re-inventing the wheel to some extent and if someone would give it the once over. I am a about 1/3 into putting weblinks to all the parts only had to go to 3 sources so far (TC fixings for A2 grade Stainless , Amazon for the rest and rails from fermio labs takes me down to about line 44 of the 120 line on the BOM .....
I think it is different for each person. I wanted to build something and had the tools to cut rails, bed plate, drill and tap, and so on. Also I never spend more then 100US per order so did not know how much I was spending. Some stuff I order was taking too long to get so I would place another order some place else to get it sooner but at more cost. I think I have half of another 2.2 in parts. There are a lot of trade off. When I was building mine there were no kits.

Roy, the best place to start is HERE. I started down the road of self sourcing. I managed to put together about 75% of the needed parts for a 350 x 350 build. I ended up not getting everything, but wanted to have a printer up and running by the end of 2022. To do this, I ended up purchasing a Formbot kit. I am happy I did. I found it a good kit with excellent components. If you would like, please take a look at my Build Log, HERE . It took me about 8 days part time to build and have it printing. I'm still tweaking it, but it is an amazing machine.

Have you checked the published sourcing guide?
Thanks for the quick reply - Yes I have been using the sourcing guide as a reference and although I never checked the shipping prices to the UK I had assumed it would not make sense of using US suppliers like Bolt Depot for low cost fixings. I have been looking at the Specs from the US suppliers and trying to find UK suppliers where I can. Even if i do get a kit I think I will at least complete a BOM understand the make up of the parts from a quality and price perspective..

Roy, the best place to start is HERE. I started down the road of self sourcing. I managed to put together about 75% of the needed parts for a 350 x 350 build. I ended up not getting everything, but wanted to have a printer up and running by the end of 2022. To do this, I ended up purchasing a Formbot kit. I am happy I did. I found it a good kit with excellent components. If you would like, please take a look at my Build Log, HERE . It took me about 8 days part time to build and have it printing. I'm still tweaking it, but it is an amazing machine.

Checked out your build diary and sourcing info - really useful thanks, I think I will complete the BOM even if I do select a kit will then give me a comparison.... Thanks for your help. I too have been eyeing up a Voron build for the past year or so, not really in a rush but now I have started, I can feel momentum building now i have made a start....

Roy, glad to hear you are on the path. You are going about it much the same as I did. I thought I wasn't in a rush. My procrastination spanned two printer revisions, LOL. Hence, the reason for jumping on purchasing a kit. Another incentive for me, near Christmas, there was pricing advantages that sealed the deal to purchase a kit.

Enjoy the venture. I sure did!