What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Nitehawk 36 setup

kharrisma

Hi Folks,

Dithering over CANbus -vs- a USB-based approach, finally came down on the new Nitehawk 36. It's going onto a heavily modified Ender 3, and I'm running a Galileo 2 extruder.

Connection is pretty simple: USB cable from printer to SBC host (RasPi4B), another USB cable from the SBC host to the adapter that comes with the kit, 24 V power to adapter, kit-provided harness wire from adapter to toolhead board. Got LEDs on the toolhead. So far, so good.

The Nitehawk has a configuration file that needs to be set up before it can be used, obviously. The config file needs a specific MCU ID string for the toolhead MCU. From the SBC host, I should be able to enter "ls /dev/serial/by-id," and I expected to see two entries: one for the SBC, and another for the Nitehawk's 4020-based toolhead. My issue here is, I get a return for only the one MCU id for the SBC: ( /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32g0b1xx_310036000C50415833323420-if00 ) ... and nothing else, just the one entry. I expected to also see something like: ( usb-Klipper_rp2040_1234567890000000-if00 ), and it's not there.

Should I be using some other command besides the "ls /dev/serial/by-id," maybe "ls /dev/usb/by-id" or something? I can work with Linux on a "led by the nose" basis, but it's definitely a 'second language' for me, one I'm really not very familiar with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS... I'd attach the printer.cfg file, but the "attach files" function on this page doesn't even see any .cfg files.

Attachments

• klippy.log
    13.5 KB · Views: 1
Here's what "lsusb" (which I was doing wrong, treating it like "ls /dev/serial/by-id" and entering "ls /usb") returned :

Last login: Tue Sep 17 11:05:01 2024
karl@mainsail:~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 258a:1006 SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 214b:7250 Huasheng Electronics USB2.0 HUB
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0484:5750 Specialix MPI7002
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 1d50:614e OpenMoko, Inc. stm32g0b1xx
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Apparently I'm operating from a realm of misunderstanding... I can't get an mcu id from the toolhead when using a keyboard and display connected to the SBC host... but if I just access the SBC via Mainsail through my browser, there's s ton of extra stuff in there that wasn't there previously, like "TOOLHEAD"... which looks a whole lot like it's actually working as it should. No idea why I can't get an mcu id from it, though....

You must folow the instruction found on Nitehawk36 github. All instruction are there. Did you connect all wires? Did the leds on the Nitehawk turned on?

You must folow the instruction found on Nitehawk36 github. All instruction are there. Did you connect all wires? Did the leds on the Nitehawk turned on?
No, wires are not attached at this point, I'm doing a total re-wiring job, and mostly it's out; about half of the new wiring is in place; I was going to replace the wiring to the hot end with the Nitehawk setup. Only the USB umbilical is connected so far. Yes, I get all the LEDs (all solid green.) What's stopping me is obtaining the serial# of the 2040 MCU on the toolhead board. "ls /dev/serial/by-id" gives only the MCU on the printer control card (BTT SKR Mini E3 -v- 3.0.) "ls usb" returns what's in the post above. Haven't yet tried dmesg... not sure how useful that will be to ME. Likely tons of relevant info for someone who knows his way around better than I do! So until I can get that MCU serial#, I can't edit the configuration file for the toolhead and get it working. That has to happen before much of anything else does, as far as I know.