What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Octopus v1.1 and klipper mainsail update issues !!!

AverageMaker69

Hello,
I just recently built a Voron Trident. After successfully installing klipper with mainsail everything was working perfect up until about a few weeks ago when I refreshed mainsail to do some updates. After updating and restarting my printer and mainsail with everything still working just fine the next day when I go to turn on my printer it can no longer connect to the mcu anymore.
After looking online for the fix most suggestions were to change the usb bus speed but some we’re saying to change it different speeds then others and not knowing or understanding how to do this and afraid I would probably mess something up I decided to just back up my printer.cfg and reinstall klipper.
After doing so everything worked perfect again for a week as before up until I refreshed and updated mainsail again. The same exact thing happened. My printer was working perfect after updating then the next day it could not find the mcu to connect.
Once more I reinstalled klipper on the pi updated everything in mainsail but now I’m currently having issues with the octopus v1.1 board.

After putting in the firmware.bin sd card and running
ls /dev/serial/by-id/*
It’s says
ls: cannot access no such file

To sum everything up

I replaced the usb cable , re did the klipper installation to make sure I set everything up correctly making sure the winscp file was named firmware.bin and the sd card was formatted to fat 32 .

I ran dmesg and it appears there is a usb connection with no errors.

I noticed the blue light did not blink or is not blinking on the octo board so it makes me think I bricked it or for some reason it’s not reading the firmware.bin.

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips or suggestions? I’m not to thrilled if I have to buy a new board just to deal with the same issues when doing mainsail updates. What would cause this issue in the first place?

I saw that I could possibly re install a new bootloader onto the boards chip but I would have to buy a special connector and something to do with jumping boot 0 pins to the octopus but I’m not sure if I’m smart enough to figure all of this out.

Last edited:
ShiftingTech posted this on the Voron Discord and I have tested it twice to find it works perfect.

A bug has been introduced in Debian Bullseye (which includes current MainsailOS), which prevents the symlinks in /dev/serial/by-id/ from being created. If your printer can't connect to the MCU anymore after a system update, you can check if it is caused by that bug by checking the installed version of udev with apt show udev
If your version is 247.3-7+deb11u2 or 247.3-7+rpi1+deb11u2 you have the broken package installed and should use one of the fixes below. Take special care about the last number ("u2").
As of May 20, this bug has spread to PiOS based systems as well. Option A. Replace the corrupted udev file with one from upstream systemd
  1. backup the existing rules file (just in case)
  2. download the rule from the systemd main repo.
  3. Reboot
sudo cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.old

sudo wget -O /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules https://raw.githubusercontent.com/systemd/systemd/main/rules.d/60-serial.rules
Option B.Install a working version from debian backports NOTE: do not attempt this option on raspbian/PiOS based systems. If you are unsure what you have, stick to option A To install the working version of 252.5-2~bpo11+1 (one line, use copy & paste): cd ~;wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb;APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none sudo apt install --fix-broken ./libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb ./udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb; rm libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb
This command should just want to install the two packages (udev & libudev). If it tries to do something else, particularly removing a large quantity of packages, stop and reassess the situation Reboot After doing that reboot the pi by running sudo reboot
and Klipper should connect again to your MCU.

Do not update again until a fix has been applied.

Hello,
I just recently built a Voron Trident. After successfully installing klipper with mainsail everything was working perfect up until about a few weeks ago when I refreshed mainsail to do some updates. After updating and restarting my printer and mainsail with everything still working just fine the next day when I go to turn on my printer it can no longer connect to the mcu anymore.
After looking online for the fix most suggestions were to change the usb bus speed but some we’re saying to change it different speeds then others and not knowing or understanding how to do this and afraid I would probably mess something up I decided to just back up my printer.cfg and reinstall klipper.
After doing so everything worked perfect again for a week as before up until I refreshed and updated mainsail again. The same exact thing happened. My printer was working perfect after updating then the next day it could not find the mcu to connect.
Once more I reinstalled klipper on the pi updated everything in mainsail but now I’m currently having issues with the octopus v1.1 board.

After putting in the firmware.bin sd card and running
ls /dev/serial/by-id/*
It’s says
ls: cannot access no such file

To sum everything up

I replaced the usb cable , re did the klipper installation to make sure I set everything up correctly making sure the winscp file was named firmware.bin and the sd card was formatted to fat 32 .

I ran dmesg and it appears there is a usb connection with no errors.

I noticed the blue light did not blink or is not blinking on the octo board so it makes me think I bricked it or for some reason it’s not reading the firmware.bin.

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips or suggestions? I’m not to thrilled if I have to buy a new board just to deal with the same issues when doing mainsail updates. What would cause this issue in the first place?

I saw that I could possibly re install a new bootloader onto the boards chip but I would have to buy a special connector and something to do with jumping boot 0 pins to the octopus but I’m not sure if I’m smart enough to figure all of this out.
ShiftingTech posted this on the Voron Discord and I have tested it twice to find it works perfect.

A bug has been introduced in Debian Bullseye (which includes current MainsailOS), which prevents the symlinks in /dev/serial/by-id/ from being created. If your printer can't connect to the MCU anymore after a system update, you can check if it is caused by that bug by checking the installed version of udev with apt show udev
If your version is 247.3-7+deb11u2 or 247.3-7+rpi1+deb11u2 you have the broken package installed and should use one of the fixes below. Take special care about the last number ("u2").
As of May 20, this bug has spread to PiOS based systems as well. Option A. Replace the corrupted udev file with one from upstream systemd
  1. backup the existing rules file (just in case)
  2. download the rule from the systemd main repo.
  3. Reboot
sudo cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.old

sudo wget -O /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules https://raw.githubusercontent.com/systemd/systemd/main/rules.d/60-serial.rules
Option B.Install a working version from debian backports NOTE: do not attempt this option on raspbian/PiOS based systems. If you are unsure what you have, stick to option A To install the working version of 252.5-2~bpo11+1 (one line, use copy & paste): cd ~;wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb;APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none sudo apt install --fix-broken ./libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb ./udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb; rm libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb
This command should just want to install the two packages (udev & libudev). If it tries to do something else, particularly removing a large quantity of packages, stop and reassess the situation Reboot After doing that reboot the pi by running sudo reboot
and Klipper should connect again to your MCU.

Do not update again until a fix has been applied.
Thanks , makes me never want to update again haha

FYI, I usually update every week.

I will post back here if I can remember when the patch is applied and fixed.

I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the debian bug but I noticed when doing a fresh install after updating everything in mainsail then when using winscp the firmware.bin file changes to just firmware or FIRMWARE after being copied over. Even if I command
mv out/klipper.bin out/firmware.bin
after creating the make menuconfig

I must have not noticed this originally and
now the bootloader on my octopus v1.1 isn’t working, no blinky .
I guess I'm going to attempt to repair the bootloader by following the steps in this github link before I replace the board.
What a hassle, into the abyss I go!!!
https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0/blob/master/Firmware/DFU Update bootloader/Octopus-DFU Update bootloader - en.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Saved me from rebuilding the PI again. Must have updated something on my 2nd Voron and after it crashed I was stuck.

Really appriciate the fix being posted!