What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Quality stepper motor from a reputable manufacturer - is it possible?

Max Id

Hi guys, I am considering building a Voron 2.4 25cm and I am currently checking the BOM to see if I could manage to do it or not.
I decided that in order for the build to be of a higher quality than some kit printers, one of the key points is to choose the quality steppers ( at least I think so :). Since I'm a noob in this area, for me expensive == good quality lol.

The BOM for 2.4 lists NEMA17 Motor 17HS19-2004S and NEMA17 Motor 17HS08-1004S. When I try googling these, some no name steppers pop up. I'd prefer smth from a reputable manufacturer, such as Sanyo. I found one which looks promising as the replacement for the 2004S: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2920632.pdf by Sanyo, at least the dimensions, shaft length/shape seems to be identical to what the BOM recommends. However, the 1004S is tricky - the closest I've found is this one https://uk.farnell.com/sanyo-denki-sanmotion/ss2422-5041/42mm-slim-pancake-stepper-motor/dp/1708573, but the shaft is waaaay too short ( 7mm ??? ) Is this stepper motor somehow 3D-printing-industry-specific, so only very few makers such as LDO do them?

The reason I am asking these questions is because nobody seems to bother with steppers - most simply buy an LDO motor or a no name from Aliexpress.

Thanks!

Don't get worked up on the steppers. You need stepper that are not shit, meaning ones that are not the ultra cheap white label ones. That's it. Steppers today are way more precise and strong than we need for printers, even when cranking up accelerations... The brands recommended higher up are good enough.

Some will tell you that when you tune for speed you can max out your steppers which is true, but that would mean 15'000mm/s^2 accel at high speed (200-300mm/s). Those are not values you will reach for with a stock Voron especially as e beginner, and if you decide to go there replacing the steppers will be the least of your worries if you want to print at an acceptable quality.

Ok, thank you guys, this was a valuable input. Last question is about torque - would a torque of 0.49N-m be enough? The BOM-recommended one is 0.59N-m(!), and I am wondering if that's an overkill or not.

Ok, thank you guys, this was a valuable input. Last question is about torque - would a torque of 0.49N-m be enough? The BOM-recommended one is 0.59N-m(!), and I am wondering if that's an overkill or not.
Welcome to the forum.
As others have pointed out, the stepper motors from LDO, Moons, and others are fine for what we are doing. The motors should be of decent quality, of course, but I would not get hung up on finding the "best" motor out there. The torque spec is one criterion that I would comply with, however.
One supplier that I have not seen anyone mention here is www.automationdirect.com. I have purchased many items from them for my industrial machining applications and their service is top-notch. I don't know if they have what you want but you may want to check them out. They also have industrial control cables that they sell by the foot.

i have used stepperonline with great success and they do have motors that meet or exceed the torque requirements in the BOM. My advise would be do not buy motors with lower torque than required as you will probably run into motion problems when you start to tune the printer for acceleration and speed.

This is entirely dependent on how hard you intend to push the printer. I, personally, wouldn’t cut corners on the stepper specs for a first Voron build. That being said, 0.49N*m motors will certainly make a printer that will work and perform well. I’m still not sure, though, what you are concerned with regarding the BOM motors. They perform VERY well, and they have a ton of testing behind them.

Welcome to the forum.
As others have pointed out, the stepper motors from LDO, Moons, and others are fine for what we are doing. The motors should be of decent quality, of course, but I would not get hung up on finding the "best" motor out there. The torque spec is one criterion that I would comply with, however.
One supplier that I have not seen anyone mention here is www.automationdirect.com. I have purchased many items from them for my industrial machining applications and their service is top-notch. I don't know if they have what you want but you may want to check them out. They also have industrial control cables that they sell by the foot.
Ooo Thanks for the vendor link! A new happy place for me to explore.