What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Risky to use a 1/4" (6.35mm) Bed?

id_pqr

Just wondering if there are any risks or downsides to using a thinner bed. Especially if I have the edge-to-edge heater from Keenovo for Voron printers. I understand that not uniformly heating the bed can cause thinner beds to warp , but I wonder if that's mitigated with the greater heating area of the Keenovo Voron heater. I'm building a 350 and have some concerns about energy use and heat-up times with the 9mm bed that I was considering.

I think for a smaller bed it would be fine. My Trident 250 has a 6mm thick bed.

Just wondering if there are any risks or downsides to using a thinner bed. Especially if I have the edge-to-edge heater from Keenovo for Voron printers. I understand that not uniformly heating the bed can cause thinner beds to warp , but I wonder if that's mitigated with the greater heating area of the Keenovo Voron heater. I'm building a 350 and have some concerns about energy use and heat-up times with the 9mm bed that I was considering.
If I were to poke at you, I'd say "don't build 350 then if you care about energy efficiency" ;) Build 250 Trident, insulate it as much as you can with Reflectix or Uxcell or similar and cover all and every hole you see, and use bedfans to heat up chamber as fast as possible to start printing. Plus the biggest energy saver is speed - you consume less energy if you finish in half the time. Those printers can print at some high speeds thanks to gantry being bolted to the frame. Thiccer alu bed takes longer to heat up, but it also keeps heat longer. This may be also worth considering if youdo not care about chamber heat instead: https://3dprintbeginner.com/3d-printer-heatbed-insulation-is-it-worth-it/