What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Single source of truth?

Vince

Hi there,

Now that we have a forum, I'm wondering how we will have to sort information.

I like a good old forum.
I've already seen some duplication of information from the Pins of discord and from the docs website. Soon enough we will have to deal with conflicting information.

I think that having a "read this before posting" pinned on top of forum category with all the information in the pins of discord should be done first because discord is not searchable on google. By example if we could avoid to say "have you read Ellis guide" to every person it would sort a lot of un-necessary questions.

Can is something I'm working on my printer right now and pins are really useful but documentation is pretty new and scattered around. Depending of the response here, creating a thread grouping most of those pins could help a loooot

There will surely pop up FAQ posts in no time. I am not sure that "Read this before posting" kind of posts help. In my opinion it actually discourages discussion - especially when people start scolding others for it - and hence does not help you solve your problem. You have people who know how to search for information and those are able to find it wherever. The rest, who cannot, will post in spite of anyone's best effort even questions that can be answered with a simple search. If anything, I would propose to have a helping/troubleshooting section, leaving the device specific and other sections for actual discussion regarding the devices, mods, etc.

Hi there,

Now that we have a forum, I'm wondering how we will have to sort information.

I like a good old forum.
I've already seen some duplication of information from the Pins of discord and from the docs website. Soon enough we will have to deal with conflicting information.

I think that having a "read this before posting" pinned on top of forum category with all the information in the pins of discord should be done first because discord is not searchable on google. By example if we could avoid to say "have you read Ellis guide" to every person it would sort a lot of un-necessary questions.

Can is something I'm working on my printer right now and pins are really useful but documentation is pretty new and scattered around. Depending of the response here, creating a thread grouping most of those pins could help a loooot
People like to talk about their printer. There are ZERO things you can do to prevent duplicates. There's a well known saying: You can lead a horse...

Hum, maybe "those that make decisions" could declare one of those places as the "Official SOT" (source of truth).

I will not be on discord, I tried it once and I found search was unhelpful. I did ask a few questions, one was ignored and the other got the "did you read Bob's thread". In all fairness, it was for the Makergear, but that was enough. I say let the "Energy Drink" fueled crowd have it, I need something that moves at a slower and more thoughtful pace.

Hum, maybe "those that make decisions" could declare one of those places as the "Official SOT" (source of truth).

I will not be on discord, I tried it once and I found search was unhelpful. I did ask a few questions, one was ignored and the other got the "did you read Bob's thread". In all fairness, it was for the Makergear, but that was enough. I say let the "Energy Drink" fueled crowd have it, I need something that moves at a slower and more thoughtful pace.
That’s exactly why we started this forum! Hope that it is more a pace that works for you.

Vince, as far as the “Official Truth according to Voron“ exists, it’s at https://docs.vorondesign.com/. That way there is a single repository for information that we can point to from any platform. If you think that they are areas that need to be added, please let us know! User contributed articles are compiled there and I reference them all of the time. If they are on Docs.Vorondesign.com, then I know that they have been vetted and checked for accuracy. If there are errors, we typically find out pretty quickly and get the articles updated. Ellis’s tuning guide, though not an official Voron document, is certainly a commonly referenced source of info. Between those two sources, it should have most of the vetted information that you would need to build a Voron and get it running smoothly.

Not sure if that was what you wanted, but that’s how we have things set up now. Any suggestions are always welcome!