What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Sourcing over time

Printer Model
VORON Trident 350mm
Extruder Type
Orbiter
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I can’t afford a complete Trident kit but might be able to buy some things a couple hundred bucks at a time here and there over the span of a year or so.

I know that self sourcing is better overall but more pricey and I was wondering if theres any advice on ordering partial kits (frame, motors, etc) and the order to get them that would save some money while allowed me to start build out the printer as I go?

VORON Sourcing guide has some links to necessary components. It works in conjunction with bill of materials generated on voron design website - BOM tells you how many and how long you buy, sourcing guide tells you where to buy it. There are of course alternative sources, for example some things are easier to get locally (like fasteners or electronics components). you can go as cheap as you think you can get away with, or as expensive as your wallet permits.
The only thing I'd not buy from Ali or Amazon are electronics dealing with mains voltage. Buy power supplies, inlets and switches from verified sources. Aliexpress switch for 2 dollars... naw man.

I'd start with frame, many shops sell complete VORON frames from Misumi or LDO (LDO has more color choices). Linear rails I would use Yumetong Factory Store instead of CNA, those feel subjectively smoother to me. Choose X with heavier preload. Motors - You can get VORON motor sets directly from OMC, for leadscrews I bought Prusa Z motors off of Ali. You can also get LDO motor sets from resellers. Panels - depends on where you are, some continents have better options than another. You can go cheap and buy coroplast/kartonplast for side panels and get only plexi front doors.

Which country are you from? This will help to better target recommendations. For example in US you can buy from Misumi directly as end user, in Europe that's not possible.

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

I’m in southern US by the way
US has some great options from great vendors which had been part of community for quite some time. West3D, Fabreeko, KB3D, DFH, Filastruder, Mandala Roseworks for bed, MN Lasercutting for panels, Tensor3d or dllpdf for fancy frames. You also have Xometry or SendCutSend for plexi. And good presence of Print It Forward providers to get printed parts from if you can not or do not want to print some.

Good way to save some money is as lso looking at marketplace, on Discord people sell stuff which just lies in their drawers.

GL with sourcing, if you have any questions or are not sure with something, just ask.

Last edited:
Those are great. I’ll just need to dig into figuring out how to save on shipping. I suspect that’s where everything starts to add up.

Great info all, thank you

I sourced my Trident over time. The printed parts came from PIF. Most of the rest of the parts came from West3D, but I got the frame and the new hot end from KB3D (LDO Space Gray) and the motor kit from DFH (which is a pretty decent value even when it's NOT on sale). (I originally had a Dragon ST, and it needs some surgery, so I switched to a Revo). I bought a bag of Heat Sets from Fabreeko. I have nothing bad to say at all about anyone I've listed here.

I figure I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of what an LDO Trident REV A Kit cost back when it was around (only I had a Raspberry PI and a hot end) for a working printer, by working sales and combining shipping. Since then, I've upgraded to StealthBurner, Clockwork 2, Tap, added Bed Fans and a chamber thermistor, plus changed out hot ends, so I'm at a bit more than that now.

West3D and KB3D both carry everything you'll need, so you can oftentimes combine things to save on shipping (or get free shipping). Black Friday is a good way to save some money too, so if you're thinking about squirrelling away some cash over time, that can be a great way to do things.

Some of the vendors have gucci versions of things (rails, PEI flex sheets, et cetera) so if you're looking for something fancy check those out. (West3D ran out of their MGN12 white-label CNA rails on one of my Black Friday orders, so they subbed in one of their berserker rails at no extra charge for me and it's niiiiice.)

Join the discord (if you haven't already) and keep an eye on the Vendor Promotions channel for sales, and the Garage Sale channel for gently used parts. Multiple controller boards can be used with Klipper, so if someone is looking to get rid of an older board with 4 drivers on it, you can pair those up and have a working printer.

I sourced my Trident over time. The printed parts came from PIF. Most of the rest of the parts came from West3D, but I got the frame and the new hot end from KB3D (LDO Space Gray) and the motor kit from DFH (which is a pretty decent value even when it's NOT on sale). (I originally had a Dragon ST, and it needs some surgery, so I switched to a Revo). I bought a bag of Heat Sets from Fabreeko. I have nothing bad to say at all about anyone I've listed here.

I do have a dragonfly bms, orbiter 1.5 and a raspberry pi 4 that I could use to save some money upfront and then work on adding in replacements. I’ll be sure to check out those resources.

To piggy back on what @brendanm720 said earlier, definitely look into the PIF program. Vetted quality, printed on Vorons for Vorons, at cost + shipping. If you get your printed parts earlier in the process, you can source parts in the order that the manual calls for, and build as you go. You can also grab sub-kits that bundle a few items together.

Example parts and sub-kits to consider:

US has some great options from great vendors which had been part of community for quite some time. West3D, Fabreeko, KB3D, DFH, Filastruder, Mandala Roseworks for bed, MN Lasercutting for panels, Tensor3d or dllpdf for fancy frames. You also have Xometry or SendCutSend for plexi. And good presence of Print It Forward providers to get printed parts from if you can not or do not want to print some.

Good way to save some money is as lso looking at marketplace, on Discord people sell stuff which just lies in their drawers.

GL with sourcing, if you have any questions or are not sure with something, just ask.

Is there any reference to a resource that shows which parts on the BOM refer to which component (fasteners excluded of course).

I have the D2F for a Klicky probe and was thinking of going with a mod to use my ebb36 and my orbiter via canbus. This way I know which parts I can skip at a glance if need be

Is there any reference to a resource that shows which parts on the BOM refer to which component (fasteners excluded of course).

I have the D2F for a Klicky probe and was thinking of going with a mod to use my ebb36 and my orbiter via canbus. This way I know which parts I can skip at a glance if need be
I am not quite sure what you are asking about. you can generate BOM on https://vorondesign.com when you select printer -> Configurator. That is the list of components. Then you have sourcing guide which also shows those things you have to buy.

Both Klicky and EBB36 are mods and will not be covered by list of stock components.

I am not quite sure what you are asking about. you can generate BOM on https://vorondesign.com when you select printer -> Configurator. That is the list of components. Then you have sourcing guide which also shows those things you have to buy.

Both Klicky and EBB36 are mods and will not be covered by list of stock components.
Sorry. I meant which parts of the BOM are for the tool head (if any) and or for the bed leveling.

I see the OMROM inductive and the pancake stepper and BMG extruded components.

To avoid purchasing something that I was going to replace (such as the wiring needed for the drag chains vs canbus) I was wondering if anybody has documented what the parts in the BOM are specifically for.

E.g. OMROM…. Bed leveling

switch ABC123 X AND Y end stop

If not I’ll just go to the mods I’m looking at and see what they say to remove and work my way back through the BOM itself from there

There really isn't one. Honestly, you will want to have extra connectors on hand anyway. When I self-sourced, I just bought enough packs of each size screw to cover the BOM and didn't worry about the extras. I got my screws from Grainger since I could will-call at the brick & mortar location reasonably close to me and skip shipping. I've used a bunch of those extras on various mod projects since then.

There really isn't one. Honestly, you will want to have extra connectors on hand anyway. When I self-sourced, I just bought enough packs of each size screw to cover the BOM and didn't worry about the extras. I got my screws from Grainger since I could will-call at the brick & mortar location reasonably close to me and skip shipping. I've used a bunch of those extras on various mod projects since then.
Thanks a bunch... I'm thinking mainly of avoiding buying the wiring for the drag chains since I want to go CANBus and it can get pricey.

What I'm doing right now is looking at the f3d file for the trident and creating selection sets for the component groups.

As for fasteners you're right. Can't have too many of them

I've been getting my PTFE wire from Ali. 50m at a time which should last a while. I built the Trident on the first batch plus a bunch of mods. I still have plenty of the second. Like the screws, it is nice to have a stock on hand.