What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Spare Parts?

Sandman50

Wrapping up a 2.4 350 build. (printed the first functional part yesterday - the cabinet exhaust housing - came out very nice).

What spare parts should I have on hand?

Extra toolhead bits (thermostat, heater, nozzles, socks. etc.)

But what about stuff like belts, pullies, etc?

How about printed parts? (I do have another printer)

I cracked my idler pulleys pretty early on, and replaced them with RAMALA's.
Having a spare hotend on had is pretty handy.
I don't think anything else has worn on mine and but I have done lots of mods that does replace parts over time.

I am new to Voron also and agree with other posters: z axis idlers. I had to replace two of originals s they were broken and later replaced all with CL CNC version. In addition, tool head is one I’d have a a back up.

My must have list is
  • all the homing and probing parts. I ordered switches and have spares ready to go.
  • full toolhead
  • pulley parts
  • AAAAAnd, if you really want to be safe, all the motion parts. I printed all the core parts and have them in a bag. I have gone into that bag a lot lol.

My must have list is
  • all the homing and probing parts. I ordered switches and have spares ready to go.
  • full toolhead
  • pulley parts
  • AAAAAnd, if you really want to be safe, all the motion parts. I printed all the core parts and have them in a bag. I have gone into that bag a lot lol.

Agree with Tripslip. I have a full set of motion parts and toolhead components for each of mine. Always nice to be able to use spare parts as tuning aids and just keep the ones that come out clean. Makes it easy enough to keep some parts in reserve until you can begin printing a new color scheme for your next upgrade!

The thing I had to replace the most often were the Part Cooling Shrouds whenever a Blob had formed ( Silicone Sock/Boot will save your Hot End but not the Shroud ) from something not sticking to the Bed.
Besides that - and if you decide to stay with a ClockWork1/2 ( which I now find hard to recommend ) - is also printing those parts as a spare in case Heat Creep from the Environment and the Motor will cause things go out of whack.

That being said... I'd personally recommend going with a more professionally manufacturer Extruder not as susceptible to Heat Creep - So far, the Bondtech LGX Lite has stood the test of time for me.

Besides those 3D Printed Parts I found the most obvious other spare parts to be Belts, A/B related Bearings, Stepper Drivers, and if you still use them Physical Limit Switches.

For me the answer depends on your tolerance for being "down". Depending on availability in your part of the world, spare parts cost can be mitigated with quick availability. I tend to keep a spare motor, nozzles, fans, thermistors, heaters, bed temp fuse, pi, controller, step-ticks, and pei sheet. Of course many of us have those parts as a result of printers being built/torn-down or just not in use! :cool:

Basically one whole printer :LOL: because two is one and one is none. You always need n+1 printer.

Seriously now, get anything which is essential to printer function. Toolhead parts including fans (those die sometimes too). Extra hotend, even if good ole' v6, does not hurt too, in case heatbreak or ceramic heater suffers catastrophic failure. Certainly get extra set of 6 mm belts for when those get chewed up on flanges or torn apart by something. Get extra idlers and F695 bearings for when they sieze. Get spool of wires, extra connectors and terminals (Molex Mifrocit 3 male and female, JST XH + PH, Duponts). get spare or at least a backup of whichever Z probing mechanism you use - microswitch for Klicky, induction probe, ... And spare fasteners, You will need those for mods as well. Extra BMG gears for when you will want to play with different extruders or something happens to existing one does not hurt too. SD card for Rpi.

And reprint one set of functional parts.