What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Stealthburner LED Issues with hartk 2-piece PCB on Voron 2.4

tylerk4

I am using the 2-piece hartk PCB (v4.0) for the Stealthburner. I have the LED data line going to the Octopus v1.1 LED header (using pin PB0). The 5v line from the PCB is going to the 5v PSU. Ground from the PCB goes to the V- terminal on the 24v PSU. There is also a V- line connecting the V- terminals on the 24v and 5v PSUs per the manual.

Unfortunately, I have not had any success getting the LEDs to operate properly. Initially, with no intermediate resistor on the data line, the nozzle LEDs would flicker and the flickering would get worse when the extruder stepper was operating. Eventually, the logo LED burned out and when I disassembled the toolhead I saw that the mounting bracket for that LED had heat damage.

I tried testing with a new set of LEDs, this time putting a 220 ohm resistor on the data line at the board per suggestions in other threads. With this setup, the LEDs do not turn on until the extruder motor is activated, and the logo LED still exhibits flickering and color inconsistency. Trying with a 100 ohm resistor board from a vendor also has the same issue.

This may or may not be relevant, but I did have initial issues with the PCB fit. The pins that connect the two PCBs were not long enough and I had to shim the fan board for the pins to make a connection.

Additionally, the macros from stealthburner_leds.cfg do not seem to do anything when I click them on the dashboard.

The relevant portion of stealthburner_leds.cfg:

[neopixel sb_leds]
pin: PB0
chain_count: 3
color_order: GRBW
initial_RED: 1.0
initial_GREEN: 0.0
initial_BLUE: 1.0
initial_WHITE: 0.0

Does any one have advice on how to troubleshoot this?

Hello, have you tried connecting those LEDs directly to the LED connector on the board? Instead of through the toolhead PCB. That would at least help determining if the issue is Octopus or toolhead PCB. I'd personally start there.
Also, double-check that you have wires connected at proper places, that the Data Out in one diode is going to Data In on another diode. And that you do not insert the toolhead PCB fron piece one row over on under ... it's easy to make that mistake.

Hello, have you tried connecting those LEDs directly to the LED connector on the board? Instead of through the toolhead PCB. That would at least help determining if the issue is Octopus or toolhead PCB. I'd personally start there.
Also, double-check that you have wires connected at proper places, that the Data Out in one diode is going to Data In on another diode. And that you do not insert the toolhead PCB fron piece one row over on under ... it's easy to make that mistake.

I have, and they will not work at all directly connected. Neither will the pre-made harness I purchased for testing. However, they do work when I connect them to a spare Dig-uno board running WLED.

I tested continuity for V+ and V- to the toolhead, and those are fine. I am starting to think the PB0 pin is simply not functional.

Is there another pin appropriate for this use I can use for testing?

Yeah, it sounds like the PB0 is dead on your Octopus. You could use PB6 (the BL Touch port). I have my case lights hooked to that and it works.