What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Switchwire homing and travel distance issues.

Rusty105

Just got the SW moving and I think I have some config issues. At the moment I am using X and Y end stop switches for the end stops.

First issue, Home seems to be backwards from where it should be. When I home X&Y it goes to the back right corner of the build plate. Shouldn't it be the left front?

Second Issue, When I command it to move 100mm in any direction, X,Y, or Z it seems to move almost twice that.

Once I have all the axis homed I can use the + / - move commands from the Klipper dashboard , and it appears to move in the right direction. A "+" move moves the print head to the right, moves the print head up, and will move the bed towards the front of the printer. Only Z appears to be correct, in that it moves up when I give it a positive move command.

Attached is portion of my config file, any help is appreciated. Controller board is a BTT Manta MP5.

[printer]
kinematics: corexz
max_velocity: 30
max_accel: 100
max_z_velocity: 5
max_z_accel: 10

[stepper_x]
step_pin: PB12
dir_pin: PB11
enable_pin: !PA8
microsteps: 16
rotation_distance: 40
# endstop_pin: ^PD3 # on Nitehawk Board
position_endstop: 250
position_max: 250
position_min: 0
homing_speed: 10

[stepper_y]
step_pin: PC6
dir_pin: PC7
enable_pin: !PA9
endstop_pin: ^PC3
position_endstop: 242
position_max: 242
homing_speed: 20

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PC8
dir_pin: PC9
enable_pin: !PA15
endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop #^PC2 # On Nitehawk Board (Induction Sensor or Klicky)
position_min: -3
endstop_pin: probe:z_virtual_endstop #^PC2 # On Nitehawk Board (Induction Sensor or Klicky)

Regarding where its homing to: would homing to the front left make any sense, given where the endstop switches are physically located?

Regarding double length travels: where are your tmc2209 config sections?

Regarding where its homing to: would homing to the front left make any sense, given where the endstop switches are physically located?

Regarding double length travels: where are your tmc2209 config sections?

I am just used to having my MK3s home into the left front of the bed, that way when it does the Z home the inductive sensor is over the steel sheet build plate. As my SW stands now the inductive probe is over open space once the X & Y home. Can I modify the "homing" macros so that a Z home triggers an X&Y home, moves the bed to a good spot, then homes the Z?

I don't have any tmc2209 config sections, and I thin that may be part of the issue.

Klipper is new for me, so I am still learning.

Thanks!

Also, there was a copy/paste error in my confih above, correct is below

[printer]
kinematics: corexz
max_velocity: 30
max_accel: 100
max_z_velocity: 5
max_z_accel: 10

[stepper_x]
step_pin: PB12
dir_pin: PB11
enable_pin: !PA8
# endstop_pin: ^PD3 # on Nitehawk Board
position_endstop: 250
position_min: 0

[stepper_y]
step_pin: PC6
dir_pin: PC7
enable_pin: !PA9
endstop_pin: ^PC3
position_endstop: 242
position_max: 242
homing_speed: 20

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PC8
dir_pin: PC9
enable_pin: !PA15

May i ask then, why you aren't starting from one of our provided configs, which would provide both the tmc2209 sections (yes, their absence almost certainly explains the distance issue: drivers aren't in the expected microstepping mode), and the safe_z_home (which is the answer to the "home z in a reasonable location issue")

May i ask then, why you aren't starting from one of our provided configs, which would provide both the tmc2209 sections (yes, their absence almost certainly explains the distance issue: drivers aren't in the expected microstepping mode), and the safe_z_home (which is the answer to the "home z in a reasonable location issue")
I didn't see one that used a Manta MP5. I would appreciate if you posted the link to the starter configs.
Thanks again!

Eh, that's a pretty good reason actually. There isn't one for m5p. Still, I think you'd find value in referencing something like the an skr mini config

Safe_z_home can be copied as is, and the tmc sections should be able to come over, just fixing the pin assignments. And you might find other useful things as well.

Ok, Thanks everyone.....

It is working correctly now. I printed two Voron Design Cubes, not very well as the extruder needs calibration, but I should have that sorted out shortly. One thing I will say..... My MK3S+ with MMU3 may be up for retirement once the Switchwire is dialed in. It is sooooo much faster. The MK3S is nice, solid, it works , just not fast. Once I figure out a MMU solution for the Switchwire, I may retire the MK3S.

A few things for others to look at if you are having a similar issue.
1) Make sure all the settings are the same for the X and Z motors; rotation_distance, microsteps, full_steps_per_rotation (if needed)
2) Make sure the driver config is included and correct ( The tmc2209 section under each motor section)

Thanks again