What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

TAP Possible with SwitchWire?

mocho

I've seen some documentain that TAP was available for 2.4 and trident. It should be possible also with Voron Switchwire right?

ok.... After thinking a little more I see orientation of belts are not the same of 2.4 and trident. It would need a changed plate? Maybe?. Any CAD expert willing to do it?

The problem with tap and switch wire is that the bed isn't stable enough when being probed due to the arrangement of the Y rail

If you were to swap to the "Bear MK3S+ Linear Rail Mod" and added some extrusions beneath the rails to support, I don't see why the tap couldn't be possible. My switchwire is a Ender Swap and I know its definitely not possible with it. I could give It a go as far as modding the body to handle the belts, but you will lose some distance in the Y Axis.

I've seen some documentain that TAP was available for 2.4 and trident. It should be possible also with Voron Switchwire right?
Does your bed move up and down if you push down on it with 600-700g?
If yes, TAP is not for you.

Hence 1.8, Legacy and Switchwire are not compatible.

Does your bed move up and down if you push down on it with 600-700g?
If yes, TAP is not for you.

Hence 1.8, Legacy and Switchwire are not compatible.

2 (probably silly) questions here (don't beat me too hard, please):

- TAP appears to be extremely accurate but not all of us are necessarily looking for its highest level of accuracy and instead are quite attracted by the convenience aspect of it so could a trade off of convenience at the cost of (a bit?) of accuracy been achieved —and therefore being used on other Vorons without fixed bed— ?

- I've traded springs for nyloc nuts on my SW conversion so up/down movement of my bed is pretty much non-existent. Still ruled out? I guess we're talking micron level of movement here which it probably is still doing, so the above question still probably applies.

The announcement live stream is a really good watch if you haven't seen it yet. It covers a lot of the engineering decisions which I think cover the above 2 points along with the OP's question very very well.

One thing I didn't know, for instance, is that the TAP may eventually mark up a smooth PEI sheet. This is due to the necessary force required for the thing to work (which is also why they do not recommend its use for Switchwires).

The recent KAMP adaptive mesh macros addresses the issue of marking the bed. It has a "fuzz" setting that claims to randomly shift the probe points by a bit each time. I think it was badnoob that showed his marked-up PEI during the announcement stream. He also pointed out it took a LOT of probes to do that and it didn't really show up on prints IIRC.

Oh ok that's good to hear thanks for the info! I guess I haven't made it to that part of the video yet. I tend to prefer smooth PEI for PLA and some of my big prints I plan on making on this will be PLA and ones where the smooth side is really important.

If u have ender 3 conversion with 2 mgn12 rail and mounted solid tap is an option for sure and printables as stl for you to use or modify

If you have 2 rails spaced evenly across the bed, use aluminium spacers instead of silicone or springs, and have 4 carriages instead of 2, then would it be okay? At that point though you've got enough rail for a Trident or 2.4. On that note, would that lead to better prints?

Also, if you weakened the magnets by heating them would that make switchwire use more feasible? Or use thinner magnets. N52 is like 800g of force right? Let's drop that down to 200g

Last edited:
Yes, I added stealthburner and tap to my switchwire. It worked fine.
Can you please explain what mouting plate you used to make the belt mounting work on the tap with SwitchWire? As the belts are underneath the X-carriage on SwitchWire, the std belt mounting plate of Tap cannot be used...

Can you please explain what mouting plate you used to make the belt mounting work on the tap with SwitchWire? As the belts are underneath the X-carriage on SwitchWire, the std belt mounting plate of Tap cannot be used...
The part that mounts the toolhead to the rail will need to be designed to support both TAP and hold the belts.