What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Trident is the best!

As Trident builders, why did you chose over 2.4v2? Seems like cost is pretty similar right now.
I'm reading that Trident is easier to set up, and requires less fiddling to keep running?
Can anyone expand on that? I've got an old DIY Mendel90 that works, but am voron curious.
The extras the v2.4 offered at the time (extra 30mm height, flying gantry) didn't really offer any real reasons to pick for me, over the simpler design of the Trident. My Trident just works, and does what I ask of it.

I love my trident. After watching a ton of your live streams I felt it wasn’t right that I didn’t build one. Built a 250 earlier this year and it’s my go to printer now along with my V2.4

I couldn't decide which one to build first but Steve influenced to chose a Trident 250, as it should be easier to build. :cool:
But I do like more the look, stationary bed and the flying gantry so planning v2.4 350 as a second one, hope within next couple of months.
Waiting to see will it be some kit on sale (Formbot for example) in the next few days. Hope I'll not regret crossing into the Voron state. ;)

As Trident builders, why did you chose over 2.4v2? Seems like cost is pretty similar right now.
I'm reading that Trident is easier to set up, and requires less fiddling to keep running?
Can anyone expand on that? I've got an old DIY Mendel90 that works, but am voron curious.

A few reasons.
  • Inexperience. I've been printing for a while, and while I've had my current printer apart a few times for maintenance, I've never built one from scratch. I am familiar enough with the basic "high level" layout of the Trident because my existing printer is of a similar (if older-school) design. (Fixed Gantry, Bed moves up and down, Cartesian kinematics with Rods instead of Rails)
  • Complexity. I spent a lot of time reviewing the different Vorons and watching Nero's old V2.4, V1.8, and VSW streams. V0 was out from the beginning because of its build size -- 120mm^3 is too small for my only printer (my current printer is 140mm^3, and *It's* too small for some things), and Legacy was out because I wanted an enclosed printer (printer lives in the garage). After watching the V2.4 streams, I decided that the printer was super cool, but was probably more difficult than I really wanted to take on. So, Trident and Switchwire were left. Both are relatively simple to assemble (in comparison to the V2), and because there's not as much there to break, they're both simpler to maintain. In my case, the printer is not necessarily the hobby -- the printing is.
  • Space. After narrowing the field down to a Switchwire or a Trident, and talking to Sanity in the Discord a bit, I settled on the Trident because even though on paper they both ticked all of my boxes (there weren't that many and I'm fairly easy to please), the Trident would fit in roughly the same footprint as my existing printer (it's taller, but that's okay). The V2 would also have fit -- the Switchwire, not so much.
  • Cost. At the time, the Trident was probably around $500-$700 less to build than the same sized V2. Switchwire was even less expensive. Nowadays, as you noted, the price gap is not so great.
TL;DR -- I picked Trident because the V2, while super sexy, seemed like too much trouble for my first scratch build, and the Switchwire wouldn't fit well enough in my 3D Printer spot.

Hey Tom! I just finished a Trident build coming from a Mendel90 (sturdy). Dunno about yours, but my Mendel90 was hard to tame. The bed/carriage is so heavy I had to tune down the speed/accel in Y; I even had to beef up my Y motor to a larger Nema17 with more torque to fling the bed without skipping. I got acceptable-enough results to print Voron parts on it but they're not pretty.

My first ABS Voron Design Cube on the Trident using the canned configs in Super Slicer looked so much better than my best effort on the Mendel90.

My Trident is built with plain ol' Z motors with couplers and lead screws. I used 350mm lead screws to get 300mm Z travel (before LDO came out with their kit for that). So far I haven't had issues using couplers.

One more advantage of the Trident over the 2.4 - you can use Logan Fraser's "horseshoe spool mount" and put the spool inside the enclosure, between the bed and the side panel (on 300 or 350-spec Tridents, not enough room on the 250). Not possible on 2.4.

I built a V0.1 and recently a 2.4. Having a Trident 250 on order, did I make the right choise or would I have been better off with anoter 2.4?

I love both the V0.1 and the 2.4. The Trident I ordered out of curiosity.

Just anecdotal evidence, but it seems like every person I’ve conversed with that has both a v2 and a trident prefer the trident. Nothing wrong with a v2 either, just trident is a more straightforward build

As we know Trident 300cube is much popular than Trident 250; but 2.4 is still the most selled one if do not talk V0.1.

I'm looking forward to having an actual in use opinion on the Trident vs v2.4 in hopefully just a few months. I definitely like my Trident, so much I'd seriously consider a 250 as well (or a Salad Fork 160), but I'm rather curious about that flying gantry...

Having a Trident allows me to do this:

I have test parts in place to try to make it work on my 2.4, but I haven't tried it because it's far more difficult to do the wiring.