What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Troubleshooting steps for high speed printign

Akegata

I've been printing relatively small parts on my V2.4 for months withtout many issues, but I've decided to speed up the prints as well as print bigger things.
This has let me to discover what I assume are several weak chains in the printer. The most notable issue so far is missed steps leading to layer shifts, some pretty extreme.

What would be the proper way to troubleshoot this? Should I start printing big things at lower speed and speed it up until it fails? Shuld I go some sort of weird macro that just send the carriage arround in absurd speeds to see if it goes haywire? Any tips are highly appreciated!

My guesses would be:
  1. there is something wrong with your belt path, check page 142 on the manual - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/VoronDesign/Voron-2/Voron2.4/Manual/Assembly_Manual_2.4r2.pdf
  2. your frame isn't sqare, causing friction
  3. the stepper current is to low
All of these guesses have one thing in common: The gantry is not running smoothly, causing your steppers to skip.
This ^

My bet would be #3, you're swinging the weight of the toolhead around much faster now, and those motors need to be able to keep up and hold.

I had some issues with belt pathing previous, but after rebuilding with the pin mod and Ramalama's front idlers I'm fairly sure the pathing is correct (obviously I may just be missing something, but I've reviewed it several times).
During that process I also spent quite some time de-racking the gantry, but maybe that doesn't actually ensure the frame is square other than on the Z height I do the de-racking?

The stepper current seems like the most likely option of these to me as well.
I'm running an Octopus with TMC2209's. The run_current is set to 0.8, hold_current 0.7 and stealthchop_threshold is 0.
I just looked at the current Voron 2 git and see that hold_current has been removed since I set this up, I guess I should change that.
But should I also change the run_current? Is 0.8 not enough?

I had some issues with belt pathing previous, but after rebuilding with the pin mod and Ramalama's front idlers I'm fairly sure the pathing is correct (obviously I may just be missing something, but I've reviewed it several times).
During that process I also spent quite some time de-racking the gantry, but maybe that doesn't actually ensure the frame is square other than on the Z height I do the de-racking?

I'm running an Octopus with TMC2209's. The run_current is set to 0.8, hold_current 0.7 and stealthchop_threshold is 0.
I just looked at the current Voron 2 git and see that hold_current has been removed since I set this up, I guess I should change that.
It would be easy to tell you to up your run_current on your motors, but that really depends on the specs of the motors you currently have. I personally run 1.1 on my LDO high temp X/Y motors, 1.2 on the LDO z motors, and .5 on my Moons NEMA14 extruder motor.

Checking Andrew Ellis's guides on Motor Currents should point you in the right direction to figuring out what your motors are rated and capable of, and the Speeds and Accels guide will help with figuring out your max speed and accelerations.

As others have pointed out, 0.8a is quite low. The other thing to consider is for klipper, setting seperate run and hold currents is a bad idea. The only reason they still keep hold current in the configs is it would break tons of configs to remove.

It would be easy to tell you to up your run_current on your motors, but that really depends on the specs of the motors you currently have. I personally run 1.1 on my LDO high temp X/Y motors, 1.2 on the LDO z motors, and .5 on my Moons NEMA14 extruder motor.

Checking Andrew Ellis's guides on Motor Currents should point you in the right direction to figuring out what your motors are rated and capable of, and the Speeds and Accels guide will help with figuring out your max speed and accelerations.
Are you running the 17 or 20mm extruder motor? I know for the LDOs, 0.3-0.4a is the sweetspot for 17mm, and you can push up to 0.7a for the 20mm.

Are you running the 17 or 20mm extruder motor? I know for the LDOs, 0.3-0.4a is the sweetspot for 17mm, and you can push up to 0.7a for the 20mm.
I'm running a 20mm. It's rated for 1A, so I figured .5 was a good starting point. I haven't pushed the machine hard enough to cause any issues at .5 yet (usually print at 100-150mm/s with 4k accels), but I'm planning on pushing it once my Trident is up and running.

I'm running a 20mm. It's rated for 1A, so I figured .5 was a good starting point. I haven't pushed the machine hard enough to cause any issues at .5 yet (usually print at 100-150mm/s with 4k accels), but I'm planning on pushing it once my Trident is up and running.
Yeah. 0.5a should be okay for normal extrusion rates. If you start doing crazy high flow, and run into issues, you should be okay to go to 0.7a assuming your extruder can handle the temp.