What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Underextrusion/Gaps When Printing at 40% Infill

bwingate

Trying to print the parts for a 2.4 R2. I must have run through a spool of ABS trying to get the quality OK, but when I print at 40% infill, I get a lot of gaps or underextruded sections. If I drop infill to 30% or 35% its better - almost resolved. I did find that Hatchbox ABS has less problems than the Esun ABS I started with.

Details:
Ender 3 v2, direct drive all metal hot end, side mounted spool with bearings on the rollers. I tuned this using Teaching Tech's procedures
Prusa Slicer
Bed at 100, nozzle at 250
Hatchbox ABS
Using the Voron PIF print settings

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is 30% infill strong enough?

Thanks all

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 29
I started with Hatchbox Blue and and E3 v2. I love Hatchbox. The creality pizza box chamber had my parts warped though. As you can see, It didn't come out great, but I still think my 2.4 looks great. I told myself that I'd reprint once I built the printer, but I'm ok with things mostly. I redo stuff here and there, maybe.
What's your layer height? Issues are more visible to me at .4mm I use .2.

DTPs1OLUDLFJWbxi0RZvbohYxCdXglCPcFxW7oCiGYZmwu7NCDkhVxoJpYlPTnnTbFPy3YTHBZuutstiohHchOpjT8Smc3H9fxj0xTBdTUV3ch9nmphEcz4BdccgEMtT9s51OPi0hgKub-EnNj7ObPZsP-JGa5x3FjcG5ADC4wjA4_FU3HIr50uR8IJ4fYvmnfw0mEC1mdJUWrupKbHHW3Dj7a2NSHkjIZzouGmyj5k-Jgs4lUhD1ZkM2njfw_GCsaVDHuspLUoqCGHsoZFiGw5ON668iDVdG9AZaCGRujEZiLw71Orhti7N19T2mAAC6t2tG4FSYE7H2eo1jsygsU5U7RmkthVt0ohVB-uHwD8jLbS2wvVG94pvslEc7ViGj8xqPg-Xjq0GBZ_VuiJR98QlE-3IThkyRuPNS_SskN3VZaBqtroPyIItKezTBSQh_CBEGHyLmX4T71byTTXkiCh9E6_7IsifMk_HpfLzy0Qft7yQy-yLIN-21bK-tV0oIjMJUMHzmGLAKKeyYIhuC4c0RzMH5uPiIcHVH9ql7v3V-EC9V3WS783y8nIOMFlft3f723LgLv9bW0qdKIV9Tp2pqImmvcmgXLh3k8kiSU5uqFgU-appPaIgg50FobeNP6xboUzBk4ShkRJCHZ4LFFb_g5xrrjEbtKNPoe_HZ1UZwtvlJl-kYJSufmFbnttCUXFQc4lAROSP3IVpUdD_haBYehdtUO-7lHBdyRXOeKm5EB0CkxSBu4o-7ngbzZFWLhl-9Zelb9FgScMlQ3JVYL_418FssIRjRdB5cdHYmKpyN5qrFCTWKaxV1pkB5wB2OKH97ggkseeyyHPIXowwes-WJhgyaUvV8bVvMlORxObIjJmYjRx6GSrHvpkH8_7WsD7Izo76Fj82t84OQmcZhGS5q9MhsLmGDIUN5FkI2rS0aOiK6m4gbK1dSESz1d8eQTpsbi3lM-ccguoYUlQTLpE=w738-h983-no

I started with Hatchbox Blue and and E3 v2. I love Hatchbox. The creality pizza box chamber had my parts warped though. As you can see, It didn't come out great, but I still think my 2.4 looks great. I told myself that I'd reprint once I built the printer, but I'm ok with things mostly. I redo stuff here and there, maybe.
What's your layer height? Issues are more visible to me at .4mm I use .2.

DTPs1OLUDLFJWbxi0RZvbohYxCdXglCPcFxW7oCiGYZmwu7NCDkhVxoJpYlPTnnTbFPy3YTHBZuutstiohHchOpjT8Smc3H9fxj0xTBdTUV3ch9nmphEcz4BdccgEMtT9s51OPi0hgKub-EnNj7ObPZsP-JGa5x3FjcG5ADC4wjA4_FU3HIr50uR8IJ4fYvmnfw0mEC1mdJUWrupKbHHW3Dj7a2NSHkjIZzouGmyj5k-Jgs4lUhD1ZkM2njfw_GCsaVDHuspLUoqCGHsoZFiGw5ON668iDVdG9AZaCGRujEZiLw71Orhti7N19T2mAAC6t2tG4FSYE7H2eo1jsygsU5U7RmkthVt0ohVB-uHwD8jLbS2wvVG94pvslEc7ViGj8xqPg-Xjq0GBZ_VuiJR98QlE-3IThkyRuPNS_SskN3VZaBqtroPyIItKezTBSQh_CBEGHyLmX4T71byTTXkiCh9E6_7IsifMk_HpfLzy0Qft7yQy-yLIN-21bK-tV0oIjMJUMHzmGLAKKeyYIhuC4c0RzMH5uPiIcHVH9ql7v3V-EC9V3WS783y8nIOMFlft3f723LgLv9bW0qdKIV9Tp2pqImmvcmgXLh3k8kiSU5uqFgU-appPaIgg50FobeNP6xboUzBk4ShkRJCHZ4LFFb_g5xrrjEbtKNPoe_HZ1UZwtvlJl-kYJSufmFbnttCUXFQc4lAROSP3IVpUdD_haBYehdtUO-7lHBdyRXOeKm5EB0CkxSBu4o-7ngbzZFWLhl-9Zelb9FgScMlQ3JVYL_418FssIRjRdB5cdHYmKpyN5qrFCTWKaxV1pkB5wB2OKH97ggkseeyyHPIXowwes-WJhgyaUvV8bVvMlORxObIjJmYjRx6GSrHvpkH8_7WsD7Izo76Fj82t84OQmcZhGS5q9MhsLmGDIUN5FkI2rS0aOiK6m4gbK1dSESz1d8eQTpsbi3lM-ccguoYUlQTLpE=w738-h983-no
Layer height is .2mm. Nozzle is .4

have you tried slowing the print down a bit? Maybe that'll help...
The first thing that I played around with after temperature was speed, any speed between 30 - 60 gave me the same results. I went to the Prusa Slicer defaults for ABS and for the latest print I slowed it down from 50 to 40 for perimeters and bumped the infill from 35% to 40%.

Here's a screen shot of my speed screen:

1676212399910.png

Trying to print the parts for a 2.4 R2. I must have run through a spool of ABS trying to get the quality OK, but when I print at 40% infill, I get a lot of gaps or underextruded sections. If I drop infill to 30% or 35% its better - almost resolved. I did find that Hatchbox ABS has less problems than the Esun ABS I started with.

Details:
Ender 3 v2, direct drive all metal hot end, side mounted spool with bearings on the rollers. I tuned this using Teaching Tech's procedures
Prusa Slicer
Bed at 100, nozzle at 250
Hatchbox ABS
Using the Voron PIF print settings

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is 30% infill strong enough?

Thanks all
To your question, "Is 30% infill strong enough?", maybe. What I would suggest, print the parts the best you can, and use them to build. Understand that they might not perform as good as to Voron Spec parts would. Possible shorter life, break easier, etc.. I believe your 30% infilled parts will get your printer up and running. Once you have your printer up and running, tuned and printing, remake the parts to spec and replace them as needed.

@LoadMaster7 that's kind of how I was expecting I would have to procede. Not thrilled about the possibility of having to randomly rebuild the printer as it fails. I guess my first prints will be Voron parts.

@LoadMaster7 that's kind of how I was expecting I would have to procede. Not thrilled about the possibility of having to randomly rebuild the printer as it fails. I guess my first prints will be Voron parts.
If I were to bet, I expect you will find your parts will do fine, even with the lesser infill. Where you might run into problems is if you push the printer, running at higher speeds and or higher temps. That said, it is only a guess. I wish you the best with your build. I enjoy building as much as using.

I have to agree, the 30% infill will be just fine. You will find that the perimeters make more of a difference in strength then infill.

I am surprised more people using Enders to print are not using ASA. It has the same physical properties as ABS but less prone to warping.

I am surprised more people using Enders to print are not using ASA. It has the same physical properties as ABS but less prone to warping.

I have been printing for a couple of years in only PLA so everything else is totally foreign to me. All the Voron resources imply that ABS is the way to go so I didn't even think about ASA. I'll check out ASA and see if I get better results.

I have been printing for a couple of years in only PLA so everything else is totally foreign to me. All the Voron resources imply that ABS is the way to go so I didn't even think about ASA. I'll check out ASA and see if I get better results.
I am so used to printing in just about anything I think I take it for granted that I know so many materials.
Also, ASA is not going to be as easy as say, PLA, just a little easier then ABS. It's my go to for rigid mechanical parts. Although I am testing a new material called PCT-G which is like PET-G with ABS properties. So far I am very impressed with it. I just don't know if it will stand up to the heat like ABS so I might print a hot end it in to test.
Also the cost is much higher then ABS so that has to be taken into consideration,

TL;DR: Fix it by turning on the fan

This bothered the cr@p out of me, and I just could not let it go. I printed a complete set of parts, mostly badly, and I was unhappy. I din not want to spend over a grand and a lot of time on a printer with cr@ppy looking printed parts.

I tuned it with the teaching tech tuning process. I started to tune it with Ellis' guide, but I could not get some of the features to work right.
I tried upgrading my Marlin software, but the compile didn't look quite right.

So, I wiped out Prusa Slicer and all my old settings and started over using the recommended settings as they came out from Prusa. And it almost worked on the first shot, but I still had layer separation. Then I remembered something Ellis put in as almost an aside: even with ABS, you will need some cooling. So, I turned the fan on at layer 5 between 25% (min) and 50% (max) and it worked. The print isn't pretty, I'm only at 20% infill, but I think I got over my problems. I'll know after a few more tests.