What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question printing problems after new build

If anyone can help. I tried asking in the discord but doesn't seem like any help. Im using orca slicer. settings are 2 walls 15% cubic infill. However, when I send the file to my printer it starts with the bottom layer then the walls. My slicer shows it printing properly tho. walls then infill. As it moves up the model it only prints one wall and theres a gab between the infill and the walls. (printing a cali dragon) once it got to his head it seems like it didnt print the walls at all and just the infill. I will add some pictures. Hoping someone can help me. I feel like it has to doimage0 (6).jpegimage0 (3).jpeg

No need to ask in so many locations on the forum.
Next is WTF! I have never seen this. So I guess my next question is have you tried a different model?
What about a different slicer too?

I was using orca slicer and getting that. Someone on discord suggested to import the gcode to a different slicer and look at the tool path. Sure shit there was the problem. resliced the same model in cura and like magic it prints perfect now. However very slowwwwww lol BUT IT DOES PRINT lol

there was a lot of people calling to jump to OrcaSlicer - so I gave it a try and I was disappointed. At the very least, I expected it to perform as well as SuperSlicer, and I had nothing but problems. Half of it was definitely a new workflow in Orca, so that's on me, but when I did finally get it to slice and send to my printer, I couldn't get anything useful to print. I gave up and went back to SuperSlicer and really haven't looked back. Might give it another try another time, but to be honest, it needs to more than SuperSlicer does for me to adopt it

there was a lot of people calling to jump to OrcaSlicer - so I gave it a try and I was disappointed. At the very least, I expected it to perform as well as SuperSlicer, and I had nothing but problems. Half of it was definitely a new workflow in Orca, so that's on me, but when I did finally get it to slice and send to my printer, I couldn't get anything useful to print. I gave up and went back to SuperSlicer and really haven't looked back. Might give it another try another time, but to be honest, it needs to more than SuperSlicer does for me to adopt it
I love OrcaSlicer. I use it for all my bambu printers and Sovol printers and get amazing results. Just not with the voron. Now im trying to learn SuperSlicer but it just seems so overwhelming compared to what im use to. I cant get the settings right for this printer. So for now im using cura but it seems pretty limiting on speed.

there was a lot of people calling to jump to OrcaSlicer

You have to remember that SuperSlicer went silent on releases for over five months.
This world is moving quickly. Having a slicer that is actively maintained is a big deal.

Super slicer, Bambu, Orca are all forks of Prusa slicer, and Prusa is forked from Slicer.

Makes you wonder how they can get it so wrong if they are all copying the same code

I think the answer ultimately comes down to who is paying for the development and what they want out of it.

There was a time when the open source slicers were "good enough", but commercial products like Simplify3D were just miles ahead. So far ahead that people were willing to pay $150-200 instead of using the free open-source options. Likewise, companies like Ultimaker had full control of the hardware+software experience, to great benefit, but others like Prusa did not... so Prusa's fork of Slic3r was a logical (and smart) thing to do to "level up" to match their competition in that regard.

But at the end of the day, Prusa is a conservative company. They were known for being not the first, not the fastest, and not the cheapest, but the proven/reliable choice. And their decisions for software features reflected this - letting many major features be developed and refined in other projects before considering them for incorporation. (For example, Organic/Tree supports, the Arachne perimeter generator, fuzzy skin, lightning infill, ironing/neosanding, etc, are all features that Cura or other slicers had before PrusaSlicer.) Don't get me wrong - Prusa's support for the Slic3r-based projects has been huge, and very much appreciated. But they have no interest in being on the bleeding edge. Nor do they have any real interest in adding features that don't add distinct value to those with Prusa printers.

So this leaves a wide open hole for projects like SuperSlicer to fill. If you want something open source to contribute to, that is leading edge, but isn't beholden to a particular printer manufacturer, that's where you go... and SuperSlicer gained a lot of momentum from that. But then they just... stopped releasing updates.... And about this same time, Prusa buried themselves in the XL fiasco, while also launching the MK4, while simultaneously breaking both their slicer and the other firmwares for their mainstream printers in a Hail Mary attempt to increase print speeds to stave off the bleeding caused by BambuLab's excellent showing. And ever since, Prusa has been on the back foot, being consumed with critical bugs and unnecessary regressions of their own causing. I wouldn't say it's their "Osborne" moment, but they really did do a lot of damage to the brand and reputation by pre-announcing before availability, and then releasing before readiness.

So then... Bambu is here with another "just works" offering that brings neat new features, but is for good reasons tailored for their specific machines and objectives... but SuperSlicer is stagnant, Prusa is in complete disarray, and Simplify3D destroyed their standing by taking years between updates. Re-basing the community momentum off of Bambu Studio (in the form of Orca Slicer) instead of Prusa is again another logical choice at the time.

The only major kink now is that SuperSlicer appears to be back - perhaps too late for the many who have switched to Orca - and perhaps so incredibly far behind that it will take quite a while to even come up to parity again. There are also rumors about who is funding that return - and what effects SuperSlicer being steered by a printer manufacturer will have on the development choices. Time will tell - but at least this is happening via Open Source, and out in the open, so that we have the opportunity to make these direction changes when needed.

Last edited: