What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

verify _heater

langerd

Printer Model
voron 2.4r2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
hi,

my voron 2.4r2 has been working very well for about 6 months with stealthburner. all the sudden it would stop midprint and report adc out of range. i have replaced the hotend thermistor and heater cartridge. now it will stop mid print and report verify_heater error; the led on the sb would go out when this happens…

0. replaced the thermistor and 65w heater cartridge twice

1.checked the 2 piece pcb connector and wires for continuity all the way to the main board. i even went and solder the thermistor to the pcb.

2.performed a PID with 10% fan on many times

3.i have routed both thermistor and heater to new locations on the main board, and updated the printer.cfg accordingly

it appears from the picture that it cannot regulate the hot end temperature during printing but can sit idle for a long time without issues. any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpeg
    IMG_2173.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2172.jpeg
    IMG_2172.jpeg
    882.2 KB · Views: 10
4.removed all connectors on the 2 piece pcb and solder wire directly to the pcb,

5.inspected and recrimped the hot end heater tube and thermistor wiring attached to the main board

still having verify_heater shutdown.

4.removed all connectors on the 2 piece pcb and solder wire directly to the pcb,

5.inspected and recrimped the hot end heater tube and thermistor wiring attached to the main board

still having verify_heater shutdown.
Do you connect heater and thermistor wires directly through chains? That's not recommended, those wires are not rated for motion.

What hotend do you use? Do you have sock on your hotend? You wrote you did PID with 10% fan, is this also fan speed you use for normal printing?

using a sock with dragon highflow.
yes the fan speed is what i used for printing.

i did isolate the issue to the thermistor wire thru the chain. i bypassed the chain temporarily and it fix the issue; rock solid thermal hotend regulation.

strange that you said the wires are not meant to be run thru the chains, how are others running their wires? what wire type do you recommend?

It's preferred to use wiring which can withstand constant motion, usually some with more (at least 19) strands inside, and either silicone or teflon insulation. Teflon is preferred, with silicone those chains can become very packed. I am surprised yours lasted this long if you really used heater wire as it is, for example probe wiring usually dies within first print or two.

Here is more information about crimping, wiring etc.:

Normally it's done that you cut toolhead wires at the toolhead, terminate with Molex Mictofit 3 connector, and then continue with chain wiring further, down to electronics compartment. Alternatively you can get toolhead PCB which simplifies it a bit.

the wire i pulled looks like teflon, 24awg, only 7 strand.

thanks for the advice. i will some 22awg silicon laying around i will try to snake thru the chain.

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 7
switched out the teflon with 16awg silicon wire, lasted a few months and now broke too!!

i am finding more wires broken in the cable chain, i am soo not a fan of this cable chain. so far i have found the LED, the FAN, the heater, and thermostat to have broken wires; i am sure more issues will come up.

i have been repairing broken segments of wire in the cable chain but ready to do an entire wire overhaul. what wire and awg do you recommend for longer lasting performance?

Attachments

• photo-output.jpeg
    photo-output.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo-output.jpeg
    photo-output.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4