What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Voron 2.4 R2 X axis artifacts

Timmyklus

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 R2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Afterburner
Hey all,
Just completed building my voron with the help of a buddy. (He built most of it) he has built 5 machines so far.

The issue I’m having is in the X axis, I am getting a very faint vibration indicated on the print surface. The Y axis is super smooth. If I rotate the part at a 45 degree, the issue moves to both sides of the cube.

In the image below I have printed the same exact part with same settings but I just changed the orientation 90 degrees. I checked the frequency of the “wiggle” and it doesn’t appear to be the same pitch as the belts.

My thoughts are linear rail choppiness would be causing the issue in only the X axis. I tried packing the bearing but it didn’t seem to help

Thoughts? Ideas to try?

Attachments

• IMG_2024-06-26-231144.jpeg
    IMG_2024-06-26-231144.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2024-06-26-231533.png
    IMG_2024-06-26-231533.png
    962.6 KB · Views: 16
I checked the defect spacing and sure enough, it is 2mm!

What about the idler would cause this? Guessing it would only be the toothed pulley? And not the smooth idler behind the toothed.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-06-27-074147.jpeg
    IMG_2024-06-27-074147.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 12
Congrats. I have seen this on my Sapphire Plus. It was a bearing on a toothed idler. I have also seen this when others replace the toothed idlers with bearing.

I checked the defect spacing and sure enough, it is 2mm!

What about the idler would cause this? Guessing it would only be the toothed pulley? And not the smooth idler behind the toothed.
Could be blet tension, good belt mixed with cheap idlers or the other way around or a racked gantry.
That's all I can think of now, oh wait, could be steps and motor current as well.

So I had some extra idlers. Guessing they were from the same batch as what was previously installed. Put the new ones in and set belt tension per the freq Instructions, it seems a little better.

I ordered some new idlers from west3D, once those show up, I’ll swap those, retention and redo my resonance testing and see how it looks.

Thanks again for the help!!!