What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Voron Kit Buying Questions

BOMPRINTS

I have been doing a ton of research on Voron but hopefully someone more experienced than myself could help speed up my buying decision.

I am looking to buy an LDO Voron 2.4 R2 (Rev C) 350x350mm and am finding them on matterhackers for $1500+. I am also finding Voron 2.4 R2 kits listed without the (Rev C) for much less (less than $1000). We plan to do mods but also want to buy the most reliable kit possible (if there is one that is better than others).

My questions:

- Should I buy an LDO Voron 2.4 R2 (Rev C) from Matterhackers?
- What does the Rev C stand for / what does it include that justifies an extra $600?
- Or is there no difference and matterhackers is just marking the kit up?

https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/voron-design-corexy-fdm-3d-printer

Any guidance, suggestions, and help is greatly appreciated as we head down the path of building!

My guess for the reasoning behind Rev A kits being sold at a cheaper price is to either make room in the warehouse, or to just clear out the older version of the kit. I'm not quite sure of the differences between A and C, but I do know for sure there's a different toolhead pcb, parts for Stealthburner are definitely in there as they're the main toolhead now, and there's a touchscreen display (instead of the older 12864). Oh yeah, the Rev C kits also come with the edge to edge heater, which is a nice treat.

Rev C is an internal designation from LDO to differentiate their kits. As one can presume, it's their third revision of their kits for the Voron 2.4.

I highly doubt the kits you're finding for under a thousand dollars - they're more than likely from Formbot, Fysetc, or Funnsor. I leave it up to your discretion as to whether or not what appears to be a large price difference is worth it or not, as that gap may be a lot smaller by the time the printer is built. For my own breakdown of the cost difference between a Formbot and LDO Rev B v2.4 350mm kit see here: https://forum.vorondesign.com/threads/rise-of-cerberus-ldo-v2-4-350mm-build.547/post-3921 Do note that a few of those points are no longer valid, such as that regarding the bottom panel as Formbot has FINALLY started including an ACM bottom panel so that shouldn't warp the first time you fire up the bed's heater (last I heard their panels are still thinner than spec, and I really didn't like the stainless steel hardware they provided). The biggest thing for me though is the sheer lack of customer service from Formbot (I was told they didn't care things were missing with my Trident kit, and I've had to replace a LOT of what was included in the first few months after building it), as well as the packaging. Formbot does include foam trays to protect things, but it's four layers in a massive box. With LDO, it's split into several separate packages, so it's rather easy to keep things tidy when you're doing a build - something that is especially of use when your place has limited usable space.

LDO is VERY active within the community, and also works with the Voron dev team whenever they're looking to release a kit. On top of this, they incorporate a lot of the more common mods the community regularly uses... LED lights, Hartk's toolhead PCB which they properly credit (at a glance it does not appear Formbot does this), parts for Nevermore and Klicky are included, and they use genuine Bondtech parts (Formbot uses Triangle Labs clones). My only sadness about the LDO kits is I can't purchase a spare build plate from them, or update my Trident to their style of bed with the nice Rev.C edge to edge heater, as such items are only available through the kits. But yeah, actively involved in the community, listens to feedback (and even more to the point, specifically WANTS to hear any negatives people have about their kits because it may be something that was missed or overlooked in the initial planning and beta testing of the kits), and they provide customer service and support.

That extra little bit of cost in my eyes is more than worth getting that level of customer service, customer engagement, quality control, and user experience throughout the build.

I personally picked up one of the discounted LDO V2.4 300mm Rev A kits from Matterhackers (which I think might have really been a Rev B kit since it came with a brass brush for the purge bucket mod that explicitly was added to Rev B+). This meant that I got hardware for a Afterburner (including a one piece toolhead), a beta hardware kit for the Stealthburner (no SB toolhead board, which was fun as I did not get the LDO customized printed parts for the SB to use the AB board and made due without the correct ones and no printed AB parts), the older Kenovo heater which is not edge to edge, no hotend (Rev C includes a custom blue colored E3D Voron Revo setup, with one each of 0.4 and 0.6mm Revo nozzles included), and a mini 12864 display from BTT (instead of the Rev C's included BTT's 4.3 inch TFT DSI display for a Pi).

If I was in the market for another Voron and could find another similarly discounted LDO Rev A kit, I'd be snapping it up at that price, hands down. LDO includes a lot of spare hardware (I've got like a pound or two of extra bolts, heatsets and other bits for me to use on mods) and bits for upgrades like Klicky Probe or the Nevermore Filter. Even adding back in the missing Revo, I'm still under the costs of other kits.

But let's say all the sellers wanting to clear warehouse space have no more LDO Rev A/B kits they want to get out the door at 50% off. I would still strongly lean towards getting a LDO kit for one's first Voron. The number of extras add-ons they include (things like a heatset tool for a soldering iron, some basic but serviceable 24v white LEDs strips, some ball ended hex keys (kinda nice ones compared to what you'd expect for included tools), a 2mm drill bit to help clear issues with the filament path (apparently those are rare in the US), and a crap load of zip ties) and the amount of extra hardware packed into it provide a great starting point for a new Voron owner. Your second (non V0) Voron is where I think looking at other non-LDO kits can be worthwhile. You'd have some spare hardware in the event you get shorted, not fun to chase a vendor for a handful of screws really. I've heard of people who needed to replace all the included fans in the span of a year with a differing kit, so something like that is a factor to keep in mind.

For me, the relative up-charge for a full price LDO kit might seem steep, but I've found it worth it, even though the discounted kit pushed my hand into jumping on it far earlier than I wanted to. It does come with the knowledge that LDO does not skimp on anything in their kits, plus all the bags of hardware and boxes are nicely labeled so you can find stuff listed on the BOM. If I don't do a V0 for fun in the short term, I might try and get a 250mm Trident kit from another supplier (more to try others kits really) once I have a room set aside for printers/crafts/messes. If that second printer suffers a component failure, I'm not dead in the water for printing until the vendor manages to get a replacement part in my hands.

Hello, if you are in US, there are a bunch of wonderful US vendors, all of which are good members of community. Take a look at West3D, Fabreeko, KB3D or PrintedSolid. They stock LDO kits and will trip over to help their customers
My guess for the reasoning behind Rev A kits being sold at a cheaper price is to either make room in the warehouse, or to just clear out the older version of the kit. I'm not quite sure of the differences between A and C, but I do know for sure there's a different toolhead pcb, parts for Stealthburner are definitely in there as they're the main toolhead now, and there's a touchscreen display (instead of the older 12864). Oh yeah, the Rev C kits also come with the edge to edge heater, which is a nice treat.

Rev C is an internal designation from LDO to differentiate their kits. As one can presume, it's their third revision of their kits for the Voron 2.4.

I highly doubt the kits you're finding for under a thousand dollars - they're more than likely from Formbot, Fysetc, or Funnsor. I leave it up to your discretion as to whether or not what appears to be a large price difference is worth it or not, as that gap may be a lot smaller by the time the printer is built. For my own breakdown of the cost difference between a Formbot and LDO Rev B v2.4 350mm kit see here: https://forum.vorondesign.com/threads/rise-of-cerberus-ldo-v2-4-350mm-build.547/post-3921 Do note that a few of those points are no longer valid, such as that regarding the bottom panel as Formbot has FINALLY started including an ACM bottom panel so that shouldn't warp the first time you fire up the bed's heater (last I heard their panels are still thinner than spec, and I really didn't like the stainless steel hardware they provided). The biggest thing for me though is the sheer lack of customer service from Formbot (I was told they didn't care things were missing with my Trident kit, and I've had to replace a LOT of what was included in the first few months after building it), as well as the packaging. Formbot does include foam trays to protect things, but it's four layers in a massive box. With LDO, it's split into several separate packages, so it's rather easy to keep things tidy when you're doing a build - something that is especially of use when your place has limited usable space.

LDO is VERY active within the community, and also works with the Voron dev team whenever they're looking to release a kit. On top of this, they incorporate a lot of the more common mods the community regularly uses... LED lights, Hartk's toolhead PCB which they properly credit (at a glance it does not appear Formbot does this), parts for Nevermore and Klicky are included, and they use genuine Bondtech parts (Formbot uses Triangle Labs clones). My only sadness about the LDO kits is I can't purchase a spare build plate from them, or update my Trident to their style of bed with the nice Rev.C edge to edge heater, as such items are only available through the kits. But yeah, actively involved in the community, listens to feedback (and even more to the point, specifically WANTS to hear any negatives people have about their kits because it may be something that was missed or overlooked in the initial planning and beta testing of the kits), and they provide customer service and support.

That extra little bit of cost in my eyes is more than worth getting that level of customer service, customer engagement, quality control, and user experience throughout the build.
amazing advice. Thank you so much. I was looking for an in depth view from someone who has had Vorons. We will probably go the route with the Rev C kit from LDO as it sounds to be the most polished and customer service is a great plus.

I just finished building (well, mostly my daughter) an LDO V0.2 kit and the price was well worth it. Top notch parts across the board, a nice selection of the most common mods you will almost certainly add yourself in the end, as mentioned the Revo hoten with two nozzles. They have documentation for their changes to the standard build manual, so that makes adjusting your build a bit easier. LDO is super involved in the community; I just very briefly chatted with Jason this weekend at OC Maker Faire, where his LDO booth and Voron's were back-to-back (on purpose). Sanity's vendor suggestions are all solid, I've used them all and they are all great.

I've built Fysetc, Formbot, and LDO. I want to try a Magicphoenix, and Blurolls, but Blurolls doesn't seem to offer them. Unless you pay over 1300. And it seems from above that the price is the quality that makes a brand better than the other. So what do I know? Well...

I know I had the most trouble with my LDO. But to be fair, I had the Space Grey frame and it seems easier to damage (thinner anodization? perhaps.)

Each are running great and I've zero issues with any. I've not had to deal with customer service with any of them other then Funssor - whom I do not recommend. At all. Every review I've seen for them is a blatant commercial. Not that most other reviews, or reviewers, are passing along honest info. I digress.

I've had mine for some time and put a few hours on them. I've replaced belts on one as I needed to replace something and the belt broke. My fault there. I burnt out some stepper drivers when I pushed the gantry out of the way, forgetting the belts were on. My fault again.

I am, however, chasing an issue with my nozzle drifting down randomly. I'm trying to replicate it, but it is really very random, and strange. But it seems to be after shutting down, warming up for an hour or so, and then printing again. Drifts down about .5, or it might have been .05, or .2 - I haven't printed on it in a bit! I'll have to see, or just switch to TAP?

I've bought a bunch of Formbot kits, maybe 8-9 so far, and each have been quality. Each of their vendors have been hassle free that I've used in the States, and a couple they had to ship from overseas (Fysetc - who did give me some flak for asking why it was taking so long, but they fixed it). There are only a few vendors I don't recommend because of their rude customer service, or their failure to do what they said they would. Luckily chargebacks are easy when you have a trail of proof.