What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Want less CPAP noise? Consider this...

Durahl

Made the upgrade to CPAP a few weeks ago ( among other things ) and based on the YouTube Videos I was watching beforehand I was expecting a HUGE Racket ( well... a lot more than I'm experiencing 🤔 )

Anyway... It just so happens I have actually lucked out with some of my previous Design Decisions concerning the use of THICC™️ Acrylic Panels and encasing the CPAP Turbine into an as slim as possible but actual Housing for aesthetic reasons instead of just mounting it to something. Running the CPAP at 90% Fan Speed resulted in a below 65dB Noise Level while holding the iPhone with a dB Measureing App like less than 30cm away from the closed Front Door. Holding the iPhone at the same spot with the Door opened had it spike to above 75db making me consider plugging my ears with AirPods 🤣

So yea... Perhaps don't just put something on the Intake side of the Turbine like what Vez3D and Mammoth-3D do with their CPAP Mufflers but perhaps put something all around it and if your budget allows it go for thicker Acrylic Panels. I for one am using 4mm Cast Acrylic for the Top and Sides and a single piece 8mm Door for the Front ( just be warned though... THICC™️ = HEAVY™️ ).

Nice work, you mind sharing the files? Preferable step, i like to remix it for my micron

I like this "box". I am going to make my own. My Voron is not enclosed in the same way so those panels are irrelevant but the box thing looks a good idea. I was just going to mount it to a simple triangle frame onto the rear of the frame but that was before I hooked it up and had a listen, these things are pure evil :oops:

So a solid box to muffle it somewhat seems a good way to go.
Now you have had it for over a month, do you really run it at 90%? Sounds to me you could blow things of the bed if they are not stuck down well enough :p
Anyway looking forward to hear the progress of this story.

Now you have had it for over a month, do you really run it at 90%?
Absolutely not 😅 ASA, which I do for the VAST majority, has a Fan Speed range starting at 20% going up to 80% if the Layer Time is below 4sec.
I just thought 90% being a good number to evaluate on since going up to 100% produces a REALLY annoying tone I find hard to deal with - I'd essentially have to wear ANC Headphones 😣

Been reworking the CPAP System over the past few days - primarily the Tool Head - to optimize stuff which in practice turned out to be a bit of an issue - In particular for others.
As for the Turbine / PCB Housing I'm still contemplating on how I'm gonna work in the concept of being able to switch between two Air Intakes - One sucking in the at temperature air from the Enclosure and one sucking fresh air from outside for when I print PLA Inlays / Accents in otherwise ASA Parts ( I really dig Prusament Viva La Bronze for Gold Like Inlays but can't seem to find a good ABS / ASA alternative )

This should solve the issue with PLA already being too soft once it reaches the Extruder from just getting fed through a 50-60°C hot PTFE Tube situated in a hot Enclosure since on my setup the PTFE Tube runs inside the CPAP Tube 😉

Absolutely not 😅 ASA, which I do for the VAST majority, has a Fan Speed range starting at 20% going up to 80% if the Layer Time is below 4sec.
I just thought 90% being a good number to evaluate on since going up to 100% produces a REALLY annoying tone I find hard to deal with - I'd essentially have to wear ANC Headphones 😣

Been reworking the CPAP System over the past few days - primarily the Tool Head - to optimize stuff which in practice turned out to be a bit of an issue - In particular for others.
As for the Turbine / PCB Housing I'm still contemplating on how I'm gonna work in the concept of being able to switch between two Air Intakes - One sucking in the at temperature air from the Enclosure and one sucking fresh air from outside for when I print PLA Inlays / Accents in otherwise ASA Parts ( I really dig Prusament Viva La Bronze for Gold Like Inlays but can't seem to find a good ABS / ASA alternative )

This should solve the issue with PLA already being too soft once it reaches the Extruder from just getting fed through a 50-60°C hot PTFE Tube situated in a hot Enclosure since on my setup the PTFE Tube runs inside the CPAP Tube 😉
Ok I thought 90% was a bit much, especially all the time o_O
I don't have your cooling problem with regards to running a bowden tube inside the cpap hose. On top of this I think eventually I will only use this machine for PLA type materials. I have plans for another machine that should take care of difficult stuff. First of I do not like the enclosure and I run mine without it because of the trouble I have reaching things. And since I encountered lots of problems, I left the panels of and quite happy with them out of the way. Second my other printer under construction will be permanently with a hardened nozzle and live in an enclosure. I think once you tuned it to a certain type of printing it works best to leave it like that and the way the machine behaves is easier to keep under control. This Voron was given to me by my dad who lost interest. I think I will just keep it running the easy fast stuff.