What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Which EBB for CANBus?

MichaelOToole

Printer Model
Voron 2.4
Extruder Type
Orbiter
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I did intend to use StealthBurner with Orbiter 2 and EBB 2209 but they wont fit...
Basically there is no room between the fan board (board mounted in the afterburner) and the Orbiter (need another ~4mm).

I'm looking for a solution, here's what I have so far:
1) Purchase the EBB36/42 as it mount at the back of the toolhead, just need some more printed parts...
2) Make up a harness for fans to EBB 2209, as I won't need the fan board, everything will fit (if I shave a few mm of the lever)...
3) I could just go with default build and use the cables, chain etc., but I prefer the CANBus solution if possible...

Any ideas or suggestions?

While I'm at it, whats the difference between the EBB36 and EBB42?

Last edited:
36 is for the round motors and 46 is for the square motors. I had issues with CAN. It works but very glitchy to me. I just switched to the Nitehawk from LDO that uses USB and so far easy setup and no issues.

Thanks NoGuru,
Didn't know there was a USB option, perhaps a better choice all round, only wish the fan connectors were on the same board, that would solve all my problems.
Mind you, I could make a fan cable for the Nitehawk board to remove the need for the fan board (so I could use/fit the Orbiter 2 in the Stealthburner).

I can always reuse the CANBus boards on another project, that's worth considering...

Last edited:
Thanks NoGuru,
Didn't know there was a USB option, perhaps a better choice all round, only wish the fan connectors were on the same board, that would solve all my problems.
Mind you, I could make a fan cable for the Nitehawk board to remove the need for the fan board (so I could use/fit the Orbiter 2 in the Stealthburner).

I can always reuse the CANBus boards on another project, that's worth considering...
I am a little confused about what you mean by the fans. You mean the second PCB that is designed just for the SteatlthBurner?
I agree, I wish it was more of a universal design but you don't need the second PCB. All the headers are there on the mainboard.

I have had all the CANbus boards, Huvud, EBB's, Flysht's, all of them and I like the USB connection so much better. I am willing to bet this will be the new standard going forward for some time, unless we start doing Wifi or Bluetooth boards on the toolhead.

Yes, the second PCB...
A quick check of my EBB 2209 (RPP2040) main board didn't reveal any fan connectors, so the little fan board is required.
Also, the little fan board has additional components, connecting the fans directly to the EBB 2209 doesn't look feasible.

The EBB 36/42 does have connections for Fan, it doesn't use the extra fan board.
The Nighthawk board provides GPIO pins 5 (HEF), 6 (PCF), 7 (RGB), 16 (A1), 17 (A2) on the output connector, it comes with the fan adapter/connector board but you could connect fans and RGB directly with a simple cable harness.

The main reason people build a second Voron is because they have so many parts over after making changes (aka mistakes, aka wrong choices), i'm well on that road :)

At this point I think my best choice is the NightHawk, it has the same mounting points and I don't need to use the fan board ( i can make up a simple cable to directly connect fans and rgb to it).
Without the need for the little fan board, the Orbiter will fit perfectly with StealthBurner...

Last edited:
Just to confirm, you are saying you can't use the pins marked in green for a fan connections? Because that is how I would do it.

I just remembered, this was the only board I didn't do any testing on because of the micro jst connectors. I like everything else about the EBB except the connectors.

1708452629518.png

Even if you make up a cable using this connector, there are still components of the little fan board to account for.
With a schematic i could design a board that would fit with the orbiter for a few bucks, but without a schematic or identification of these components, it simply isn't feasible...

The only other option is to make or buy a ready made connector (male/female14pin) and move the fan board outside the enclosure, then of course you would have to mount it somewhere...

Update:
The schematic is in https://github.com/bigtreetech/EBB/tree/master/EBB SB2209 CAN (RP2040)/Hardware, now to design a board that fits...
The actual 14 pin connector 2mm pitch?

Mockup:
fan_board.jpg
20x40mm
This will not solver the lever issue (not really enough room either)... I'll have to give up on the Orbiter and use the supplied motor...

Last edited: