What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Why does the V2.4 use those 90-degree connectors for the build plate mount extrusions?

ChrisA

I look at the V2.4 and think "They could have saved 4 parts and 4 screws by just making the exterusions that support the build plate 40mm longer. Then attach them using a hole and screw at each end.

Why is this? Some guesses.
1) someone cut the extrusions too short and the little triangle blocks were a quick fix. But this is a .4 revision. A mistake would be corrected by now
2) To avoid sharp aluminum corners near the door where your hands might be. (but then a file could fix the sharp corner problem and you only need the blocks in the front.)
3) This is a primitive kind of kinematic mount? If the screws are not super-tight the support extrusions will rotate when the plate expands. But there are better ways to do this.
4) It just looks cool. (I suspect this is the real reason for the corner blocks)

The reason I ask is because I have the V2.4 CAD file open in Fusion360 right now and I'm making some mods. I think I can do a different build plate mount if I start over. I'll be building a V2.4 from raw stock. I have the means to cut, drill, and tap metal and some simple CNC available. I like to understand why something is the way it is before changing it.

I think its just because if you bring the extrusion all the way to the front there, you get a sharp pokey bit there.

You wouldn't be the first to build it the other way though.

2) To avoid sharp aluminum corners near the door where your hands might be. (but then a file could fix the sharp corner problem and you only need the blocks in the front.)
Sorry for being Captain Obvious, but what about turning extrusions by 90 degrees and placing them from left to right instead from front to rear? Sure, some changes to electronic bay, but nothing complicated. The only issue I see - it don't looks cool (from the aesthetic perspective), but it looks good from the engineering perspective.

Sorry for being Captain Obvious, but what about turning extrusions by 90 degrees and placing them from left to right instead from front to rear?
fun facts. They actually DID run that direction in V2.0. However the front to back orientation is necessary to allow correct mounting of the z endstop. (granted, which may not be relevant in some machines, such as those using tap)