What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

z tilt issue

Wesley910

I've had a problem with the z tilt command, this is a new build and I'm currently going through the initial start steps.

If I home everything works and it goes to its z safe, I then run the z tilt and the machine acts like it doesn't know where it's at and it goes to the wrong points crashing the machine.

If I home everything works and it goes to its z safe, If I then manually send it to 0,0 first and then start the z tilt it works completely fine I can subsequently manually send it anywhere and then run the z tilt again and it will work correctly.

any thoughts?

Octopus 1.1
Pi4
Canbus SB2040 Utoc

What are your settings under [z_tilt]? The points entries tells it where to go to probe and should be front left, then center back, then front right.

It’s almost like it thinks the safe home position of 150,150 is 0,0 and try’s to move to those points from there.

Does "crashing the machine" mean "things going bang" or "error messages". If the latter, please post the specific errors and logs. (Heck, if it means bang, still post the logs)

Does "crashing the machine" mean "things going bang" or "error messages". If the latter, please post the specific errors and logs. (Heck, if it means bang, still post the logs)
the gantry trys to run through the back of the machine, how and which logs do I post?

Where should be safe home z be with a tap? I set it to 150,150 to put it in the middle of the bed. it seems if I change this to 0,0 the z tilt work fine.

the gantry trys to run through the back of the machine, how and which logs do I post?
There should be a button to download klippy.log from within UI, in mainsail it is in Machine tab. If it's not there, you can use some secure copy program like Winscp and download it from /tmp/klippy. log

Where should be safe home z be with a tap? I set it to 150,150 to put it in the middle of the bed. it seems if I change this to 0,0 the z tilt work fine.
Would you mind uploading your printer.cfg? There may be some other conflicting setting or some rewrite from macro.
Or upload klippy.log and it will contain the config.

The only thing I can thing to recommend would be adding G90 before running a Z_TILT_ADJUST. Aside from that, a video to show the exact behavior could help

The settings look reasonable. My 250 numbers are similar, though I've set my points a bit further in from the edge with Tap. Your safe z *should* be ok--my 250 is at 125,125.

Here’s a video, I first home it then hit the z tilt button. You can see it move slightly and than start probing as if it’s at the top left

Hello, 2 other things to check:
1. are your grub screw on motor pulleys tightened and Loctite'd?
2. What AB motors do you have? 1.8 degree or 0.9 degree?

Few more things:

1. Set your move speed for Z tilt to something more reasonable, try 50 for starters or so. This may be too fast for now and you may be skipping steps.
Code:
speed: 50
horizontal_move_z: 10
retries: 5
retry_tolerance: 0.0075

2. Can you post a photo of your printer from behind? I want to see belt routing at the back.

Few more things:

1. Set your move speed for Z tilt to something more reasonable, try 50 for starters or so. This may be too fast for now and you may be skipping steps.
Code:
speed: 50
horizontal_move_z: 10
retries: 5
retry_tolerance: 0.0075

2. Can you post a photo of your printer from behind? I want to see belt routing at the back.
You are the MAN! it was the speed

Interesting. Each printer is different. My speed is 400 and my z-tilt works fine. I think Sanity is right, there may be something else going on here forcing a slow speed.