What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved 2209 (RP2040) Missed scheduling of next digital out event

Dump_Truck

Printer Model
Voron V2.4R1, modified toward R2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Just recently started having issues with my wiring harness with my SB and CW2 on my V2. So I figured since I'm going to be doing this mess anyway, figured I'd go CAN Bus instead. (Edit: Followed the excellent guide by esoterical for this)

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have made a massive mistake in this regard.

Hardware is pretty standard at this point. Octopus v1.1, Pi 3b+, SB 2209, RP 2040 version.

Started off with using the Octopus in bridge mode. Failures across the board at random times, even when idle. Found a post that u/russiancatfood commented on that the RJ11 port on the octopus is absolute trash. Well, that is what I used. So, ditched it.

Went back to the Octopus on normal Klipper, threw a U2C in, got things working again. Extrusion works fine, temps register, TAP works perfectly. Get a few prints. Things work. One or two longer prints get a heat warning and it kills it off. Added a fan and extra tiny copper headsink to the SB to keep this from happening. Works perfectly, no overheat. Still crashes though.

Now I can't print more than about 2 hrs, and the printer crashes with the SB2209 missed the last digital check in. This can be 2 hrs, 3 hrs, whenever it really feels like it at this point. Anything under 2 hrs seems unaffected.

I have obviously done a bit of digging. Over half of the posts say "wiring". So I checked my wiring. Again. Sony branded USB C cable from Pi to U2C, hand crimped and verified cable for power and CanH and CanL. I even went so far as to connect my multi meter to the board connector legs (They're exposed on the port I chose for the BTT U2C) on both the U2C and the SB2209. Tone is clear, and loud. Moved the cable around, with and without the strain relief, and nothing changed with it unless I actually unplugged it. I got pretty aggressive with moving the cable in the socket, but not enough to break it.

Everything is connected, shows up fine, responds fine. Only other odd note is that on some crashes, but not all, I have to reboot the Pi to get everything talking again. Firmware restart, and klipper restart just come back to the SB2209 failed to start notice. Once I restart host it pulls it's head out and runs again.

I have linked my newly made github below with the last two of these events, with both klippy and moonraker, as well as my current config. Any help would be appreciated. If things continue like this I am looking at having to put my old SB toolhead board back. My most reliable and wonderful printer has become my worst nightmare with CAN Bus. Please help me fix whatever I did wrong,

My Github dump

If my hardware configuration is needing to be changed, I am up for suggestion. I do have a BTT pi 1.2 sitting here, and and willing to acquire the CAN Connector that attaches to it if there is a chance this will help. While I'd rather not throw money at this, I'm also willing to do so if it means not having to add that cable chain full of wires to my gantry again.

Hardly seems to matter however, as now other pieces of the printer are starting to fail. Just had my hall effect pod just die entirely on me. I guess I do sensorless until I can print a microswitch pod. Of course this assumes I can get the printer to actually PRINT.

(Edited: Apparently I forgot the link to my github that has all of my log dumps. If anyone has further advise, I welcome it. I have edited the timing for homing, despite it not being an issue, and have also adjusted my microstepping down from 32 to 16 as recommended by someone on Reddit. This has failed to help thus far. )

Last edited:
Hello

I dont have voron, but i have same problem. raspberry pi 3b+ ,octopus pro, u2c, EBB36
Seams that minority people have this error and no one knows what is wrong.
what OS you are using? I have mainsail OS. started to think maybe OS is problem....
what I will try is
1. shielded cable, right now I have unshielded.
2. change can speed from 500000 to 250000
3. update again firmware on ebb and u2c
4. install new OS. this time raspbian light and with kiauh mainsail. maby it helps...???

if these things do not help.
1 will use separate stepper cable from octopus to extruder so ebb will have less work to do and cable count is still low.
2 I will try communicate ebb with usb cable from raspberry

this is bad problem because to know if something helped we need to print long time. lot of time goes to waste.

found this in web. read at page end.
I am using 64 bit mainsail. but seams that can bus dont want to work with 64 bit. I will install 32 bit OS

found this in web. read at page end.
I am using 64 bit mainsail. but seams that can bus dont want to work with 64 bit. I will install 32 bit OS
Doesn't like 64? Well dang, cause that's what I installed too. Well it looks like we have a project. Keep me posted, I'll be thrilled to hear back.

Hello

I dont have voron, but i have same problem. raspberry pi 3b+ ,octopus pro, u2c, EBB36
Seams that minority people have this error and no one knows what is wrong.
what OS you are using? I have mainsail OS. started to think maybe OS is problem....
what I will try is
1. shielded cable, right now I have unshielded.
2. change can speed from 500000 to 250000
3. update again firmware on ebb and u2c
4. install new OS. this time raspbian light and with kiauh mainsail. maby it helps...???

if these things do not help.
1 will use separate stepper cable from octopus to extruder so ebb will have less work to do and cable count is still low.
2 I will try communicate ebb with usb cable from raspberry

this is bad problem because to know if something helped we need to print long time. lot of time goes to waste.
So once you can see this (Moderator approval needed since I'm new on here)
I have the cable that came with my SB2209. I have no way to tell if it's shielded. I assume it is not, mine is run literally outside my printer entirely away from my Z driver wires. Made no difference. I'm waiting for my shielded cable and connectors, and I'll make my own.
My speeds are all at 1,000,000, as recommended by Esoterical's guide due to the high amount of traffic when dealing with the Extruder, pressure advance, input shaping, ect.
I've done this twice now, so I'm sure a third won't help.
You mentioned in your other post that you found that the 64 bit OS might be a factor. I did indeed install the 64 bit os, on mainsail as well.
(EDIT) I'm already on Fluidd, so I have no idea if that has an effect. I'm pretty sure Fluidd and Mainsail are just web UI overlays and don't actually effect Klipper. However, lets reinstall (I'm doing Fluidd again, but don't have issues with Mainsail) it and we'll see what we get out of it. (End Edit) I'll pull my SD card for now, grab another one, and fire it off fresh again. This install is less than 3 weeks old since I reinstalled to put my canbus in place. I'm honestly more than a little grumpy that I have to do this again, but that's not your fault.

If this fails, I'm pitching the canbus in the trash and going back to my wire loom, in all of it's fully functioning glory. I'm all for tech, but having "outliers" that nobody can diagnose is not a good thing. Especially from my perspective, since I'm always the "outlier" and get screwed over.

Last edited:
so yesterday I changed 64 bit mainsail OS to 32 bit raspbian lite OS + klipper+ mainsail. and errors are gone!!!
made 2x5h test prints and all went well.
previous klippy log showed before crash bytes_invalid=10221 and when printer started there was already bytes_invalid=49
send_seq and receive_seq ware not equal before crash.

now is bytes_invalid=0
attaching screenshot where you can see what i am talking.
so for me it is fixed. hope yours will work to.

Attachments

• Screenshot (31).png
    Screenshot (31).png
    424.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
so yesterday I changed 64 bit mainsail OS to 32 bit raspbian lite OS + klipper+ mainsail. and errors are gone!!!
made 2x5h test prints and all went well.
previous klippy log showed before crash bytes_invalid=10221 and when printer started there was already bytes_invalid=49
send_seq and receive_seq ware not equal before crash.

now is bytes_invalid=0
attaching screenshot where you can see what i am talking.
so for me it is fixed. hope yours will work to.
Well friend, I have a new project for tomorrow and this weekend then, cause I just redid my cable (Again, and again and again.....) and after I did, every possible error, warning, and problem started appearing. Time to rip it's brains out and try again!

Well friend, I have a new project for tomorrow and this weekend then, cause I just redid my cable (Again, and again and again.....) and after I did, every possible error, warning, and problem started appearing. Time to rip it's brains out and try again!

also look how much fluctuates before change srtt, rttvar and rto (attached other screenshot)
and how stable are these after change.
I think maybe problem is raspberry pi3b+ what maybe cant handle 64 bit os. how old is your raspberry? mine is old. cant remember exactly ( 5-6 years old)
i dont know are others using 64 bit os with canbus and have no problems? if there are, then interesting what raspberry they have?
or 64 os has some bugs...?

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    384.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
also look how much fluctuates before change srtt, rttvar and rto (attached other screenshot)
I think maybe problem is raspberry pi3b+ what maybe cant handle 64 bit os. how old is your raspberry? mine is old. cant remember exactly ( 5-6 years old)
i dont know are others using 64 bit os with canbus and have no problems? if there are, then interesting what raspberry they have?
I can't say my raspberry pi is that old, but I don't know how long it's been on a shelf. I got this voron as a vivideno kit 3-4ish years ago? But I'm getting me a pi 4, cause I was supposed to get my kit with a pi 4, but that huge shortage got me.

That and with pi5 being out, pi4 got cheaper, which is good for me. I'll redo my os this weekend though. See what happens.

Haven't redone my OS yet, it's Going to be soon, as everything else is failing miserably. I have another Pi 3 that I'm going to use to build the 32bit os, and then just swap the SD cards and fire it off, see if it plays ball that way. I'd do it now, but someone is looking into the issue with me on the klipper discourse, and I don't want to just up and toss that out yet. Maybe there is something that this guy can find, since he obviously knows a ton more than I do.

I have the exact same problem. I have the same hardware. Octopus 1.1, RPI 3b(not plus), u2c and ebb36. Bullseye OS probably 64 bit. I have another issue that my pi freeze for 4-5 seconds every 30 seconds or so.

Did the 32bit OS fixes the problem?

So I changed my OS to bullseye 32 bit. (Had problem with screen touch rotation on Bookworm). and I sent a print and now I’m going to sleep. I’m hopeful that it will finish successfully when I’ll wake up. I also had the issue that I mentioned about raspberry pi freezing for 4-5 seconds every minute or so. I’ve found out that Sonar was causing it. So I did not install it this time.

Update: 6 hours print finished successfully.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem. I have the same hardware. Octopus 1.1, RPI 3b(not plus), u2c and ebb36. Bullseye OS probably 64 bit. I have another issue that my pi freeze for 4-5 seconds every 30 seconds or so.

I'm tentative to offer a super solid yes, but I did switch to a 32 bit, and have had multiple prints succeed, most of them have been in the 4hr range so far. It's more positive than anything I've gotten out of the 64bit OS so far.

This page has been a godsend for me! I had the exact same issue as the OP. Same problems, same troubleshooting, even the same hardware. I got so frustrated that I gave up and went on vacation. When I came back, this forum post popped up.

I decided to try the suggested fix of using a 32-bit OS, and now my CANBUS doesn't have any invalid bytes at all. Before, my prints would fail within 1-4 hours, but now I've just completed a 10-hour print with no invalid bytes logged.

This page has been a godsend for me! I had the exact same issue as the OP. Same problems, same troubleshooting, even the same hardware. I got so frustrated that I gave up and went on vacation. When I came back, this forum post popped up.

I decided to try the suggested fix of using a 32-bit OS, and now my CANBUS doesn't have any invalid bytes at all. Before, my prints would fail within 1-4 hours, but now I've just completed a 10-hour print with no invalid bytes logged.
Well I'm incredibly glad I decided to stop in, and even more happy that someone had a solution. Congrats on the fix, and I'm marking this as solved as the 32bit OS fix seems to be the ticket. Was running it on mine and actually finally got some solid prints out of my beast of a printer.

UPDATE: Yes, the 32bit os seems to have been the magic bullet that saved the printer and got it running again. I loaded the 32bit debian bookworm lite, used Kiauh to put everything I needed on it, threw my configs at it (edited them a bit) and fired it off. Multiple solid prints without issue.

Put the SD card for my 64 bit version of the same in the printer, Immediate failure after like 4 layers. I feel your solution has been the one I needed, and apparently other people needed.

I too have been running 32-bit since May with no problems. It has fixed all the CAN issues that usually appeared within the first couple layers of a print. Literally zero errors since then! I do wonder what the underlying reason is?

Edit: Hardware specs:
rpi 3b+, Mellow ERB BRD as USB-to-CAN bridge & XY, SHT-36 V2, and SKR E3 v3 (USB)
Do we all have 3b+??

Last edited:
I too have been running 32-bit since May with no problems. It has fixed all the CAN issues that usually appeared within the first couple layers of a print. Literally zero errors since then! I do wonder what the underlying reason is?

Edit: Hardware specs:
rpi 3b+, Mellow ERB BRD as USB-to-CAN bridge & XY, SHT-36 V2, and SKR E3 v3 (USB)
Do we all have 3b+??
From what I recall, yes. It's either 3b or 3b+ that this cropped up for. Now I'm curious if a 4 will exhibit the same symptoms. Might have to mess around with one of my other printers for that.