What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Adhesion issue

dh4tm4n

Printer Model
Voron V2.4
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Afterburner
I am building a V2.4 printer and am trying to print the skirting. I have run through the calibration process and every time the job starts it fails shortly into the job. I get strings that get caught in the moving head and it either rips the object loose from the bed or gets tangled up and becomes a big mess.

I am using
E3D Revo Voron hotend
ABS filament
Honeybadger plate

Set bed at 110 Celsius
Set hotend to 230 Celsius

turned part cooling down and completely turned off

Attached shows the issue

Attachments

• pix 1.jpg
    pix 1.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 24
  • pix 2.jpg
    pix 2.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 22
I suppose you print it enclosed and did a first layer calibration?
I use a PEI sheet and glue stick with ABS, which works quite well.

Have you tried a lower temp? Some parts on the images look like they got maybe to hot. On my Voron I print ABS with 220 with a Dragon hotend, while on the Kobra I needed to set the temp to 235.

I think you need to do some tuning, with the filament and printer. Also, try slowing down the prints and maybe printing fewer parts until you are tuned.

If you haven't already done so try cleaning your build plate with some dish soap and running water.
How warm is your print chamber? If the printer is in a cold and drafty room it might not get warm enough inside the printer and parts will start to peel off the buildplate on their own. This often looks like they didn't stuck down well in the first place.

I am building a V2.4 printer and am trying to print the skirting. I have run through the calibration process and every time the job starts it fails shortly into the job. I get strings that get caught in the moving head and it either rips the object loose from the bed or gets tangled up and becomes a big mess.

I am using
E3D Revo Voron hotend
ABS filament
Honeybadger plate

Set bed at 110 Celsius
Set hotend to 230 Celsius

turned part cooling down and completely turned off

Attached shows the issue

I have tried various hotend temp settings and 230 works best for this hotend.

With part cooling turned on it fails right at the start.

I have tried printing a single item (pix 2) and it still failed.

The printer is in an enclosure to avoid any cool air drafts.

What type of tuning (filament and printer)?

I've cleaned the build plate with warm water and dish soap

You mentioned you were getting stringing and the head was catching on the strings. Maybe tuning to reduce the stringing might be valuable as wel?

I have tried various hotend temp settings and 230 works best for this hotend.

Fair, but to give you an additional data point, I print at 265 using a Revo.

I use the exact same build plate, and I have never had adhesion issues as long as I have kept the sheets clean. You said that you have cleaned with soap and water, but I would highly recommend doing so again with dish soap, use a clean plastic scrubbie, but not your fingers or hands. Don't touch the build plate with your hands at all if you can avoid it, even while you are washing. When you dry, use a clean, lint-free cloth to dry, but don't touch the surface of the build plate.

Once you have done all of this, I would recommend double checking the nozzle height and bed leveling after you have let the print bed pre-heat at 110 for about half an hour. This will let the printer settle into its printing shape. It looks like you have some good spots and some bad spots. Not knowing more, I can't say for sure, but I have seen different areas of my beds have different heights as the plate heats up. This is especially the case if you don't have a stress-relieved bed.

Good luck getting things worked out! I sincerely hope that things work well for you in the future! The good news is that I KNOW that those sheets are capable of providing excellent results.

You mentioned you were getting stringing and the head was catching on the strings. Maybe tuning to reduce the stringing might be valuable as wel?
Adjusted the Retraction distance and speed, turned on combing mode enabled. Stringing is gone and printing clean. Thanks so much for assistance.